Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unleashed puppy

Thanks

Default Unleashed puppy

With the very cold temperature, I tried (since yesterday) to let Sansa go outside to do her business without the leash. Since it's cold outside, she doesn't want to be there longer that it's necessary anyway so i'd figure it may be a good timing to try it. I watch her at the door (except when I have to go put a little something in a poop bag) and my trick is to bring the treats along. When she seems to want to go further in her exploration after the duty, I just shake the bag of treats and she comes back running inside, and I give her one.

It's working pretty well, for now. Is that a good way to do it? I want to teach her to come back when I whistle at her or call her by her name and since she's a doxie, she can be taught that by her stomach right?

Thanks

Kikopup offers many helpful dog training video clips: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=kikopup

We trained ours to come & touch the palm of our lowered outstretched hand (palm facing towards the dog), rewarded by a tiny treat the INSTANT they touch. Not 1 or 2 seconds later, but instantly. First from 1" away, then 2" away, then 3" away, and so on. They learned it within minutes, then we reinforced it via repetition. First indoors, then eventually outdoors. Then we added a verbal cue a second BEFORE we put out our hand. The cue word is "COME". Eventually, the hand signal usage becomes optional. We don't use any clicker. We sometimes say "YES!!" instead. But if you don't use any clicker (nor special word) to indicate success to the dog, then the precise timing of the reward becomes critical. Lastly, try to avoid using a lure (eg, rattling the treat bag). Instead, you want the behavior even in the absence of the lure.

IOW, we kinda did somewhat like this (but we used a different hand signal): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWSJVwZybwo

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Ivan For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Okay, thanks! She usually comes back when I whistle or call her by her name. But I'm a little insecure so I use the treats bag in a last resort. I'll try to not use it automatically!!!

Thanks

I am jealous now. I've had Milo for two years and could NEVER let him off leash. He knows his name. If I say it, he looks at me. Then he does what he darned well pleases.

Thanks

Sansa loves people so much that if someone pass nearby i'm not sure she will not run to great them! So like I said, i'm trying this haha

Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 700 Posts

IMO a good recall is one of the essentials with dogs. A good obedience school will teach you how to teach a recall. I worked really hard with all my dogs to have a good recall. It can save them if they get out. It takes a lot of time and repetitions, but it totally worth it.
    Patrice and the Houston Duo

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

Thanks

If I didn't have a leash on Savannah Jane, she'd run to CHINA. Or, more likely, Nova Scotia.,
    Her Royal Highness, the Duchess of Wagoner 1993-2012.
    Happiness is a warm puppy ~ Charles M. Schultz
    Named Savannah Jane ~ Rae Wagoner

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rae For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rae View Post
    If I didn't have a leash on Savannah Jane, she'd run to CHINA. Or, more likely, Nova Scotia.,
    Jack is the same way. His hunting instinct is incredibly stromg.
    Hoomom who was blessed with Jack. RIP Sweet Cynda 6/3/10, loving Lexie 9/13/13 and Jack, 3/22/16.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 658 Posts

Well, that's ONE way to get you to come and visit!!!!!
    Paula & Buster
    & my s Maxe, Alex, Wendal, Jules & James, Patti, Ferkel and Heidi,

"The greatest of all mistakes is to do nothing because you can only do a little. Do what you can."

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Alex's Mom For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 658 Posts

I can honestly say I've never had a dachsie I'd trust off leash until they're so old and decrepit (Alex, James, and now Patti) that running isn't really an option . So not much help here. however, ITA with Patrice...before you let her go off leash, she needs to have a perfect recall...it really can save a life!!!!!
    Paula & Buster
    & my s Maxe, Alex, Wendal, Jules & James, Patti, Ferkel and Heidi,

"The greatest of all mistakes is to do nothing because you can only do a little. Do what you can."