Thread: Training Odie

Hybrid View

Thanks

Yes, he obviously associates some objects with bad experiences. Poor guy. Sounds like your training is going well, however! Go, Odie! I'm sure you know to keep sessions short.
    Hoomom who was blessed with Jack. RIP Sweet Cynda 6/3/10, loving Lexie 9/13/13 and Jack, 3/22/16.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to LexieLuvr For This Useful Post:

Thanks

It is wonderful you are taking your time, knowing his fears and helping him overcome then and build confidence. You are such a great Mom! Pixel is ridiculously noise sensitive. We have tried everything, but he gets in a zone and we can't break through the shell.

..POGO....PIXEL.....P’NUT....PEPSI

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lisa For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I would also train him to touch or lay on his harness and collar. First teach him to go touch something like a plastic lid and then generalize it to other things. big party and treats if he'll go touch his harness or coat. and just don't get bothered by him not wanting to put them on. Segue is very much like that and I know he was not mistreated...he was just 6-7 months old when I got him and belonged to an elderly lady. he cowers from collars and sweaters and harnesses and from being picked up. While I am pretty sure he could have been grabbed a bit, being so small, I am sure nothing horrible happened to him but it persists. I just don't make a big deal of it or give him a bunch of sympathy or worried type talk. I've had him 2.5 years so I know he's fine and just ignore the drama. except at agility. I still take him into the ring holding him cuz the agility leash makes him sad. Salsa too. LOL goofy cheez.
    I'd LOVE to see video of your training!!!!!
    you know..thinking of this...I had a dog in my class that was so absolutely terrified of harness or collar that he could not function with them on. it was weird because his owner was also his breeder. It took 6 weeks in class until he could even walk when his collar or harness was on (seems like the harness was a bit better for some reason). we would just loop a leash around at first but even than freaked him out. so weird (he's a sheltie). he's all better now but it was very extreme and his mom is a good trainer so we never could figure it out.
    Laika got her head stuck between the slats of a gate when she was a puppy and then hated having a collar on for a long time.
    Amy, Laika, Owen and Salsa

and Segue

6. The Following User Says Thank You to areese For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Default Training Odie

who knows if anything ever happened. Another odd one, he wears his belly band with no problem and always has. We think Odie has ADHD LOL. Its gotten worse over the years too. Maybe a little more since being put on phenobarbital for seizures (per our vet at the time, new vet says once he's on it you cant take him off even if you think he doesn't need it). He's jumpy and paces a lot and wants to lick (you) a lot. He cant sit down and relax. He is a routine dog too, don't forget something like his evening treat or you have jumpy, pacing, licking your face dog X 3. omg. We tried the thundershirt a while back and it caused him to shut down and whine this awful whine. We just re introduced it to him and hes actually doing ok with it, accepting it, calming down in the evenings and has gone 5 days without a bone at 8pm. I will work again with him and the ramp tonight. I will post a video of how well he walks on his leash and harness, like he's proud to be out there. Silly dog!

Walking. Sorry at the end, the leash got under rusty and I put the phone down to fix it
    Angela
    Rusty, Odie & Baxter