Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Possible Newbie

Thanks

Peaches is amazingly fast. She puts the FLY into flyball. wow

Song playing in my head: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6pDZjGNDNA
    Last edited by Ivan; 04-10-2015 at 02:51 PM.

Thanks

Ivan - Thanks for the feedback! Not sure on the timing. Not sure if it'll be two, one, or if it all may fall through. Emotional times right now. Sure hope it works out though!
    Either way, I'm glad I got to find out more about the Doxies!
    I'll take a look at that rawfeddogs too.

Rae - Can I ask where the name Savannah Jane came from?

I think no matter what happens, my wife and I are about ready to have another dog. I think that after all the research I've been doing on the Doxies, they are surely on my short list!
    Mini-Doxie, Mini-Aussie or Westie. (Or maybe a combo of these??)
    The only one thing that worries me a little with the Doxies is the back probs.
    Other than that, I can see them fitting into our lifestyle just fine!

Thanks

Welcome to the DLC!

I do have a sibling pair as well, they are from the same litter, same mom, different dads (yeah, you read that right), and both their personalities are quite developed

I think all of your questions were answered, this is what we do in our house.

We use hug-a-dog harnesses. Worth every penny!

Training, yes, they can be trained, they are probably the most food motivated breed on the planet. All of ours are potty trained to go outside. We do have the odd Error in Potty Judgement (EIPJ) but they are few and far between.

Winter in Canada, we us a Pup-port, but we have two that have had back issues (one surgery), so we are pretty hardcore. There is one picture of it here.

Food - We make their food, due to an allergy to chicken, corn and flax. We do use kibble for treats.

Crates - all ours are crate trained, and it was probably the best thing we did, since I seem to be attracted to dogs with IVDD DNA. Separate crates or one crate? I don't know if it matters. We do separate, because we feed them in their crates, and I like to give them their own spaces.

..POGO....PIXEL.....P’NUT....PEPSI

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NAUTIQUE View Post

Rae - Can I ask where the name Savannah Jane came from?

Of course! Nothing is off limits here. I am fortysomething and, through a series of events, emerged from my childbearing years childless except for my Dear Husband's daughter, whom I refer to as my Bonus Daughter.

I had always assumed I would have kids, and being from the south I am partial to the two-name-name My mother's name is Jane, and I have always, always been partial to the name Savannah. I had planned to name my first daughter Savannah Jane... SO I DID

I named Duchess after the doxie from the old Disney movie, but after being owned by a dachshund it occurred to me that most of the ones I know are better suited to people names than dog names, so when Savannah Jane came along, she was Savannah Jane. Her sister, Ellie, was introduced to me at 4 weeks, and had I taken both of them, Ellie would have been Savannah Jane and Savannah Jane would have been Scarlett Rae (temperament, even at 4 weeks. My girl is sassy and saucy and naughty, whereas her sister is sweet and retiring).
    Her Royal Highness, the Duchess of Wagoner 1993-2012.
    Happiness is a warm puppy ~ Charles M. Schultz
    Named Savannah Jane ~ Rae Wagoner

Thanks

Rae,
    That's a very nice story on the name!
    I was thinking maybe you were a Jimmy Buffett fan. That's his daughter's name.

Lisa - Thanks for the welcome. Is your pup-port an enclosure or is it just the grass area that they go on?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NAUTIQUE View Post
    Rae,

Lisa - Thanks for the welcome. Is your pup-port an enclosure or is it just the grass area that they go on?
    Ours is closed at the back for the winter, and we take it down in the summer. It is up Oct/Nov - April/May off our sliding door to the backyard.

..POGO....PIXEL.....P’NUT....PEPSI

Thanks

As far as back issues are concerned, nearly every breed has its issues. Some have hip dysplasia, some have bloat, some have breathing issues, some have heart issues. Dna has a lot to do with these issues, as does their environment. The dog I never dreamed would have a back problem ended up having back surgery, so there are no guarantees. I certainly understand your apprehension. Over 30 years of dachsies, I've only had two requiring back surgery, and the first was my fault due to lack of knowledge. Both of mine recovered well. Of course, back surgery is not cheap, so that's something you need to save up for, or get vet insurance, just n case. Knowing what I know now, I would still prefer a dachsie!
    Hoomom who was blessed with Jack. RIP Sweet Cynda 6/3/10, loving Lexie 9/13/13 and Jack, 3/22/16.

Thanks

I agree about the hereditary predisposition. Duchie lived to be 18 without having any instances that required surgery. She had a stroke late in life, but no IVDD that a little crate rest and prednisone wouldn't fix.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 658 Posts

Yup...of the eight I've had, only my first girl, Maxe, had IVDD. Of course, a ton of other health issues among the rest, but not discs!!
    Paula & Buster
    & my s Maxe, Alex, Wendal, Jules & James, Patti, Ferkel and Heidi,

"The greatest of all mistakes is to do nothing because you can only do a little. Do what you can."

Thanks

Don't let Paula (Alex's Mom) worry you, NAUTIQUE. She rescues old dogs, often the ones nobody else wants, and operates a DOXIE retirement home/palliative care home/hospice.

I wanna be her (and Yolanda) when I grow up.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Rae For This Useful Post: