Thanks

Default Littermate Syndrome - Myth or Reality?

I didn't want to further hijack NAUTIQUE's thread, but thought some might be interested in further discussion about the problems in raising two littermates together. I'd never considered it a problem until I saw discussion on a Facebook thread where several experienced dog trainers and professional breeders weighed in saying it was a really bad idea.

I've linked an article below, but a web search for "littermate syndrome" yields many others.

Some of the problems cited are - bonding more strongly to each other than to humans, severe anxiety and destructive behavior when separated, development of aggression and hostility, inability to develop individual personalities.

I had heard about the bonding more to each other, but that has not been a problem with my girls. They find us much more fascinating than each other. In fact, we often tell them, "play with each other! That's why we got two of you!" They are upset when separated, but not destructive. And they get along very well. I don't think either of them have any real dominance issues. Angel makes a show of it, but Cassie rarely challenges her (she usually is patient and outsmarts her a minute later).

That said, I think if we'd brought sister #3 home... things would be much different. I could definitely tell she was pushy and in charge, even at 8 weeks.

By comparison, Lisa and Rafi adopted 3 pups from the same litter, and things did not go as smoothly. Maybe it just has something to do with the dogs' relationship to each other. P'Nut and Pepsi seem to do fine together.

The articles also mention that this may happen with any two dogs who were together from puppyhood (even if not related).

I know that most of you would not go to a breeder to get two littermates. But like NAUTIQUE, you might find yourself in a situation where you were considering adopting 2 rescued puppies or 2 dogs who were rescued together (history unknown).

It's certainly something I will think about the next time I adopt. Maybe it is better to get one dog adapted to its new home, then bring in another. Of course, then you face a whole new set of potential issues with making sure those dogs will get along.

I'd be interested in people's thoughts and experiences.

http://blog.betternaturedogtraining....mate-syndrome/
    Kim & the Girls

With me always, Cassie & Angel

Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 700 Posts

As a skeptic of the of the so-called (and often self proclaimed) experts, I don't really think that this is true. I've only had personal experience with one set of litter mates and had none of those problems. In fact, sometimes, I wasn't sure they liked each other all that well. They were bonded but not any more so than my other dogs. One died several years before the other and the remaining dog did just fine and bonded with others in the pack.

Like your dogs, they were far more interested in us than each other. After all we were the source of food, rides, walks and more food! And, like I said in the other thread we didn't have any dominance issues with them. One did tend to be more dominant, but the other one was smarter and just worked around her

I would have no problem adopting a bonded pair, if they happened my way.
    Last edited by lotsadox; 04-11-2015 at 10:49 AM. Reason: Can't spell
    Patrice and the Houston Duo

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

Thanks

I often wonder if Savannah would be less high-maintenance if Ellie were here.
    Her Royal Highness, the Duchess of Wagoner 1993-2012.
    Happiness is a warm puppy ~ Charles M. Schultz
    Named Savannah Jane ~ Rae Wagoner

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rae View Post
    I often wonder if Savannah would be less high-maintenance if Ellie were here.
    I'm guessing that would be the case. She would have someone else to entertain her!
    Hoomom who was blessed with Jack. RIP Sweet Cynda 6/3/10, loving Lexie 9/13/13 and Jack, 3/22/16.

Thanks

I've seen both ends of the spectrum and I think it boils down to this...

It depends on the pairing and what the new family is wanting from their puppies. For a family that plans on having LOADS of time to interact with their dogs, perhaps siblings isn't the way to go. At least not if they are wanting their puppy to be as "into" them as they are with him/her. For the average family who has work, school, homework, house work, friends, other activities etc...the right sibling pair could be perfect. Plenty of fun and affection from their people and toward their people BUT having that empty time filled with a sibling. Win/win. But with the wrong pair it potentially turn into that "Go away human, I'm busy" Littermate syndrome.

I can only give my personal experience here. Before coming to me at the age of 5 months old, Milo had NEVER been without a playmate. First his litter mates and then as they all got adopted, he went in with other puppies from his breeders other litters that were close in age and waiting for their forever homes. Plus, she occasionally holds back a pup to see how he/she matures for her breeding program. So, he always had playmates. Then he comes to me. Single woman, with a full time job. He was supposed to come with me but gets horribly car sick. So then he ends up spending 5-6 hours by himself, then having me home on lunch break for an hour and then another 4-5 hours by himself until I came home from work. When I was home I tried to get him to play. I don't think Milo learned how to interact in play with a person because he didn't seem to get it. It always turned in to him taking whatever toy I offered, carrying it off to a corner and then coming back to get another toy. Once all his toys were away from me and in the place that he put them, he'd lay down by me. The end.

Then little Molly the Yorkie came. It was IMMEDIATELY apparent that Milo had missed having a playmate he could relate to. They wrestled and played tug with his toys, and chased each other. THIS is what he'd been missing. When her original owners decided they needed her, Milo felt it more deeply than I did.

I won't feel guilty for not getting two at the same time because each dog is different. But for Milo, having a sibling or at least another pup would have made his first two years with me more fun for him. He's over the moon happy with his Maisy girl. I often joke that I have got to be the first person with had to get a service dog FOR her service dog.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to M&M's Mom For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 658 Posts

Never again will I have an only dog, or at least not while I'm working full time. I have twice adopted pairs who had been raised together as pups, although not sibs. James yearned to be an only dog, cheered when Wen crossed, and didn't miss a beat when Jules went...after 12 years together!!! My current girls are bonded, but they both want to spend time with me instead of each other when I'm home. I'm not sure who the dominant one is, although at a pinch I'd say Heidi. They've never shown any kind of cranky behaviour towards each other at all, although sulking is a daily occurrence . I truly think it as a lot more to do with how they're raised than who they're raised with. All I know is that I will continue to look for senior bonded pairs to adopt .
    Paula & Buster
    & my s Maxe, Alex, Wendal, Jules & James, Patti, Ferkel and Heidi,

"The greatest of all mistakes is to do nothing because you can only do a little. Do what you can."

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Alex's Mom For This Useful Post:

Rae

Thanks

I know about a bazillion dog owners and I know this does happen, but it is not like it ALWAYS happens. I do question some listings that say two dogs have to go together cuz they are so bonded. Sometimes being apart makes a shy dog bloom and become more confident.
    Like most things with dogs/animals/people, it depends more on the individuals and situation. Should the dominant puppy be paired for life with his/her less confident brother or sister? Does that set up the less dominant one for bullying? or make them happy? who knows? Or could there be two puppies who get along, like the oceangirls, but just aren't all into each other ? I don't think I would want two dogs from one litter or bring an extremely bonded pair into an already established pack like I have here. seems like a mix of breeds, ages, temperments works the best for us.
    Amy, Laika, Owen and Salsa

and Segue

Thanks

My only experience with this was when I adopted Roxy at the age of 4yrs old. She and her sister (littermate) were actually up for adoption at the same time but the rescue thought they should be separated. Roxy was the brains and her sister was the "brawns" and between the two of them they got into lots of trouble. They had been with the same family since they were puppies. I was worried Roxy would miss her sister, HA! She went home with me and never looked back, never acted like she missed her sister or her former family. She was an only child for 4yrs until I adopted Bailey and he's so easy going he gets along with everyone. Fortunately, he's not smart enough to pull of any of Roxy's plans. He and Lily get along well together, both came from 2 dachshund homes, but not littermates. I do think Dachshunds are one of the breeds that do better in pairs, it just depends on the personalities of the dogs.
    In Loving Memory.....Roxy 08/01/97-12/01/ 2011. Tigger (Tabby cat) 8/30/00-12/05/13, and Conan (Maine Coon Cat) July 1999-08/06/14. Lily 12/01/2003-10/22/2105