Thread: Treats?

Thanks

Default Treats?

Sonny seems like the type of pup who's going to like just about anything we hand him.
    So far I've been using String Cheese, Canadian Bacon, & some Deli Roast Beef all cut up into tiny pieces.
    The C-Bacon & Roast beef I've given mostly for training - especially for doing potty outside.
    The Cheese I use for everything including pieces in kong when he has to stay in crate or pen. I add a little piece of meat stuck in the small end if we need to leave him in the pen for a long time - that seems to keep him busy. Also a little of his Kibble in another kong.

Would love to hear about other treat suggestions.
    I've heard that freeze-dried liver is the Cadillac of treats, but I've never noticed that for sale anywhere?
    Also have these on my list - Raw Carrots, Raw Broccoli, Banana, & I'm assuming most any kind of meat.

Should you shy away from the Milk Bone type products?

My Springer loved a little Peanut Butter in his kong, but haven't seen that mentioned at all with the Dachsies, do they have any trouble with Peanut Butter?

Is there a list of things NOT to give a Doxie? (I know chocolate is considered a non-no, although my Springer always loved a thinmint after supper .)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 700 Posts

You've got it down. Doxies eat anything. And like it! Your doxie seems to be getting the Cadillac of treats. Meat and cheese! One of my dogs favorite training treats is the salmon treats from the store. I can get them to do a whole lot for salmon treats. Dog show people use liver to train, but I don't. Liver is icky to me.

I don't do broccoli. It seems to give mine gas and since they sleep with us, we don't need that. I don't feed milk bones. I try to make their treats something that nutritious and from what I've heard feeding milk bones is about like feeding them cardboard. Mine love PB Every morning everyone gets a bit of PB. Most anything that is bad for other dogs, is bad for doxie.

I think the hardest part is that they will eat anything so you have to watch what hits the floor. Cash (at 16 lbs) once ate a big clove of garlic I dropped because he beat me to it. It was not a good thing. So I just try to feed good quality treats and keep them away from things they aren't supposed to have. It seems to work for us.
    Patrice and the Houston Duo

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

Thanks

He must've smelled like he had stopped in at an Italian restaurant after grabbing that garlic

Thanks for the reply on the PB - I'll have to give it a try.
    Like I said my Springer was nuts over it in his kong. He'd sit there trying to lick the inside like Pooh with the honey jar.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 658 Posts

ITA with Patrice...whatever you gave your Springer will do for Sonny. You'll probably find that he likes some things more than others, but there are a number of things that no dog should have, and anything from the onion family (which includes flower bulbs, esp. lillies) is deadly. Literally. I give the girls small bite training treats which are made here in Canada. I used to give Meditreats, which are dried apples, but they're too big for old dogs with few or no teeth . I think you're absolutely on the right track here! (I did used to give them milkbones...for years! It won't hurt them, but they really don't have much nutritional value...kinda like junk food for dogs LOL). Stay away from anything not made in North America, and absolutely stay away from Jerky treats...all kinds of recalls.

Sonny is a lucky dog
    Paula & Buster
    & my s Maxe, Alex, Wendal, Jules & James, Patti, Ferkel and Heidi,

"The greatest of all mistakes is to do nothing because you can only do a little. Do what you can."

Thanks

Paula is right, as per usual. Sonny IS a lucky guy.

One thing that I found to be doxie-centric is the fact that they will eat until they explode if you let them. You are obviously a great doggie daddy, so DO NOT be convinced when Sonny boy tells you that he is starving to death and that his life is in imminent peril if you don't feed him more/again. Keeping excess weight off is critical for good health, and Savannah has convinced me that I failed to feed her more than once. Don't fall for it!
    Her Royal Highness, the Duchess of Wagoner 1993-2012.
    Happiness is a warm puppy ~ Charles M. Schultz
    Named Savannah Jane ~ Rae Wagoner

Thanks

Savannah is a riot!

Oh no - I'll be having him stick to the rules - even when he gives me that sad little puppy pout! (I gotta admit it's pretty tough though. Can't believe I'm falling for this small dog!)

My wife on the other hand! - I'm watching her melt in his trance

Thanks

Doxies will happily eat anything you offer. So many choices.

We give out tons of high-value treats (HVT), for good behavior during daily training. But pet store stuff is mostly foreign made. Stay away from jerky made in China. Instead, we make our own. Safer & cheaper than buying 'em.

Do you already have a dehydrator? If so, here's an idea...

Fwiw...
    Our own yummy treats are from either pork loin or beef round (Costco bulk meat). We trim off fat, then cut meat into long 3/8" wide strips, and dehydrate 'em overnight. It's kinda like jerky, except NO spices. Just dried meat. I enjoy eating a few too. We freeze them, and pull 'em out as needed to fill the treats bowl. I always have some in my pocket. I snap off a 1/2" piece for a normal treat. Or a whole strip for bedtime. They love it, esp. the pork.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NAUTIQUE View Post
    Savannah is a riot!

Oh no - I'll be having him stick to the rules - even when he gives me that sad little puppy pout! (I gotta admit it's pretty tough though. Can't believe I'm falling for this small dog!)

My wife on the other hand! - I'm watching her melt in his trance
    They are impossible to resist!
    Hoomom who was blessed with Jack. RIP Sweet Cynda 6/3/10, loving Lexie 9/13/13 and Jack, 3/22/16.

Thanks

Hmmmm, what do mine like.

Well I am a bit of a mean Momma. Treats for them is usually a kibble if they have successful poops/potties outside.

They both like banana, but I only give them a tiny piece. I haven't really tried Maisy Grace out on too many treats yet. But here is Milo's list of favorites.

Frozen green beans
    Frozen strawberries
    Frozen blueberries
    Plain Yogurt (only one tablespoon per day)

I also tend to keep a bag of Orijen Freeze-Dried Free Range Bison Treats. They both love those

My first dachshund (Skyler) loved the little "baby" carrots.