Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Default A normal potty schedule?

I know Sonny is trying to get me trained, I just can't figure out the schedule

Pup eats up his food when I give it to him (1/4cup am & 1/4cup pm).
    I've been putting a little warm water on kibbles too.
    He'll usually have a little drink after he eats and maybe a few little drinks at other times, but sure doesn't guzzle it up, just some little laps.

Previous night he had his supper about 6:00. Took him out numerous times - no pee or poop - into crate for bed at about 11:00.
    Yesterday am - up at 5:00am, took him out & he eventually pee'd like a racehorse.
    Back in, fed him breakfast, and left for work.
    Wife took him out about 8:30 & he poop'd!
    OK! great schedule!
    No pee or poop the rest of day.
    Last night fed him again around 6:00, out numerous times, still nothing, bed at about 11:00.
    Out this morning at 5:00am - still nothing! Fed him and left for work.

I'm amazed at how little this guy goes! Does this sound normal??

Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 700 Posts

It's hard to say. All of them are different. Mine have 2 doggie doors so they have free access to the outside and go out and potty when they need to. When I got Darby, I was taking him in and out to get him used to things and was amazed at how infrequently he pottied. As long as the pottying is happening outside, I wouldn't worry about it.
    Patrice and the Houston Duo

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

Thanks

I'm guessing that he's just putting me through my paces & being a stubborn little bugger!
    (Although I'm very happy with the very few accidents in the house!)
    But was also starting to get concerned that going so infrequently might be the sign of a problem.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 658 Posts

I'd be worried about that too. Especially at his young age. If it was me, I'd listen to my gut and at least give the vet a call and see what they think. It could be the sign of bladder stones. Worth getting it checked out! (On the other hand, for those of us who live with old incontinent dogs, this sounds a bit like heaven!!! ) The pooping once a day though is quite normal, I'd say. Most usually only poop once or twice a day as a matter of course.
    Paula & Buster
    & my s Maxe, Alex, Wendal, Jules & James, Patti, Ferkel and Heidi,

"The greatest of all mistakes is to do nothing because you can only do a little. Do what you can."

Thanks

Yup, ours each had their own different schedules. Lola went randomly. Jebbie would go any time, on command. Buddy & Holly both did best after taking them for a walk every morning, to stimulate the bowels, so they'd poop much more regularly that way. Lizzy is totally random (no schedule), so we just open the door whenever she rings the dangling jingle-bells (ie, WAY more often than necessary, cuz outside is fun). Fwiw, raw fed dogs poop less often, maybe once every 2 or 3 (or 4?) days, cuz their bodies digest more of it (no filler). But they all pee just as often. Be glad for few mistakes.

Thanks

Just to update..
    Sonny is doing much better on the potty schedule.
    I think it just took him awhile to get settled in.

I don't think he's ever had a peepee accident in the house. He even whined at the door yesterday and then pee'd outside.
    But for some reason, he does like to try to sneak off to poop.
    He's training us pretty good - We need to keep a real close eye on him - He'll start a quick trot to the other room or down the hall (that's where he's had a couple accidents) and then I'll follow and ask if he has to go "outside".
    Having good success as long as we don't miss his signs.

If I get off my but & get a doggy doorbell rigged up, I think he'll learn it quik (fingers crossed).

Thanks

Sounds like great progress! Be sure to praise and give a yummy treat when he goes outside. Keep up the good work, and never punish him for accidents. Jack usually poops an hour or so after he eats but that's not reliable. He pees on no schedule. It just depends.
    Hoomom who was blessed with Jack. RIP Sweet Cynda 6/3/10, loving Lexie 9/13/13 and Jack, 3/22/16.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 700 Posts

I had trouble with Darby with that. We have a couple doggie doors so they have free access to the yard and he would pee outside every time, but he liked to sneak into the living room or up the hallway to poo. Then when he had back problems and had to be confined that all stopped. He did poo in the living room twice after he was off confinement so I realized that I was going to have to keep a close eye on him. With Darby it was in the morning or in the evening that the accidents happened so I just kept a close eye on him at those times and made sure he went outside. Now he's doing great.
    Patrice and the Houston Duo

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

9. The Following User Says Thank You to lotsadox For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Wanted to let you all know that the doggie doorbell is actually working!
    I took an old braided nylon slip leash and cut it to hang at his nose level.
    Put a few jingle bells on a key ring and threaded that thru at the bottom.
    This hangs next to the door with his leash.
    When signs indicate he needs to go out, I'll ask if needs to go "outside", and he'll run over, hit the bells with his nose, and then sit to put his leash on.
    As far as him letting us know "out-of-the-blue", he's probably at 75%. There's still been a few times that I'll catch him looking to sneak off, but many times he's used the bell.
    Although, there has also been a few times that I think he's used it because he just wanted to go outside & explore.

Thanks

Congrats! Sounds like he's doing great! Keep.it up!
    Hoomom who was blessed with Jack. RIP Sweet Cynda 6/3/10, loving Lexie 9/13/13 and Jack, 3/22/16.