Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Sorry for not posting an update sooner. I was scheduled to work my 12 hr today and figured I can't do anything anyway to help him, plus I need the money to pay for surgery. So, they did an ultrasound and ruled out pancreatic tumor first. I spoke to her around 10 and there was no change for better or worst. So, I agreed to proceed with surgery, which was finished at 2:30pm. Dr Chauvet said that there was a lot of herniated material that she had to remove, she thought the surgery went well. I asked her about bowel and bladder control. She couldn't say at that point if it is intact, since he is very drugged up. She thinks he should be able to control it. But of course, we have to wait and see. She thought he had good tail tone before surgery and thinks his chance for walking are good. She will call tomorrow with an update. They did not want us to visit him or bring anything. So, it is a waiting game. He may come home tomorrow or Thursday.

And I started looking for a second job to pay for it. My manager was very understanding since she has a dachshund herself. She offered to send me home, I was quite upset in the morning, but I opted to stay and finish my shift. My regular vet was awesome again and agreed to take the medications they left for me in the parking lot last night back and credit me for them, which they usually don't do.
    Olga
    Remembering my angels Sebastian and Sofie.

Thanks

I'm so sorry you're in this spot, Olga. It's so hard to see them hurting, and then having to get an extra job to pay for his surgery is a sacrifice. You're a great mom, and you do what you gotta do. Hang in there, sweetheart.
    Her Royal Highness, the Duchess of Wagoner 1993-2012.
    Happiness is a warm puppy ~ Charles M. Schultz
    Named Savannah Jane ~ Rae Wagoner

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rae For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Olga,

Think positive, he has a wonderful Mommy and he will do fine. Remember healing takes time. Each and everyone of he ae with you in spirit and thoughts/prayer.

You are lucky to have such an understanding boss and vet. Hugs.
    Yolanda and the FurCrew.

" .... It takes a village ....."

Thanks

HUGS!!!! You are such a great Mom!

One day at a time.

Can you start a log on his daily progress? Pogo's surgery was 7 years ago, and although I remember it like it was yesterday, I forgot a lot of the day to day struggles, and victories. With your medical background, I really think this would be of value to other members who go through this. Nothing long or detailed, just a one or two sentences daily of how he was, what meds he was taking etc. If you are way too busy, I totally understand!

..POGO....PIXEL.....P’NUT....PEPSI

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Lisa For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Praying for good healing and recovery. It is good to make a log like Lisa said. I did for Rusty but on FB. I like to go back to the beginning and see how far he has come
    Angela
    Rusty, Odie & Baxter

Thanks

Morning update. I called the clinic. Sebastian was with rehab people, he has some movement in the legs I am told. I hope that Dr Chauvet will call later with more details.

How and where do I make a log, Lisa? I'd be happy to do it.
    Olga
    Remembering my angels Sebastian and Sofie.

Thanks

Tons of recovery for your furboy! So many of us have gone thru this. You will do great and it's wonderful that he has some leg movement! Jack was jus crated with increased movement for about 8 weeks after his surgery and he initially had no bladder or bowel control. Today you would never know! Keep us posted.
    Hoomom who was blessed with Jack. RIP Sweet Cynda 6/3/10, loving Lexie 9/13/13 and Jack, 3/22/16.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 700 Posts

Thanks for the update, Olga. It sounds very positive. Amanda had no bowel or bladder control at first but regained it later. She also didn't have movement in her back legs at first but did walk (and run!) eventually. I think the fact that he's has movement in his legs is a very good thing.
    Patrice and the Houston Duo

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

Thanks

Any movement is awesome!!

For the log if you can start new thread in IVDD under Sebastian's IVDD journey, I will sticky it.

You can keep editing the thread daily, or you can reply if it is easier and I can move stuff around. Whatever is better for you!! Thank you very much. I know every dog is different and heals at different rates, but I don't remember if it was week 3 or week 4 when Pogo was strong enough that I had to harness him to slow down vs. just using the sling when he went out. When did Pogo get his staples out? When did the pred stop? I don't remember any of this. I do remember being stressed for 3 straight months :( I was lucky, I had Amy help me through a lot of it because she just went through it 3 months before I did.

..POGO....PIXEL.....P’NUT....PEPSI

Thanks

Hey, that's a great start! At least he has the start of some movement, back there. Yay!