Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 700 Posts

That is interesting. I've always thought dog interactions were so interesting.
    Patrice and the Houston Duo

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

Thanks

Default 6 months mark

So, it has been a little over 6 months since the surgery. Unfortunately we no longer have access to a pool, but Seb still enjoys massage. AND we were able to expand our walk to going around the entire block! He has not had any trouble finishing our walks. Periodically you can hear nail scrape but mostly good. He does nto show any distress or discomfort, very happy to go on walks. I think this is his normal at this point.
    Olga
    Remembering my angels Sebastian and Sofie.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to alfina For This Useful Post:

Thanks

So happy to hear that! Jack still likes to go on walks but he never wants to walk back so I have to carry him. Not fun carrying a 22-pound dog a block or more!
    Hoomom who was blessed with Jack. RIP Sweet Cynda 6/3/10, loving Lexie 9/13/13 and Jack, 3/22/16.

Thanks

Awww, it sounds like Seb is doing really well. I'm so glad. With the help of your hard work and vigilance, he'll probably live a nice happy life from now on.

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

Thanks

Default nearing 9 month mark

Sebastian is doing well. He did show some stiffness early this month when the weather cooled off here. So, I took him for a laser treatment and he is as good as new now. He might need a monthly maintenance visits. He however seems to have passed the relay stick to Sofie now. I will start another thread about her.
    Olga

Thanks

Sebastian is going to have dental on the 22nd of this month. His breath is terrible, and with this ID food I think he accumulates plaque more. We did "senior profile" labs on him. As expected his urine is super diluted. Kidney and liver functions are fine. His sugar was a little low again. It was 69 and norm is above 70. That is not new for him. Last couple of years he has had sugar as low as 54 and then on retest it would be normal. Dr Lantry thought that he may have Diabetes Insipidus. But testing would involve depriving him of water, etc. Besides drinking a lot and peeing a lot, he is fine. So, I am not jumping on it. He has been that way since last year before his back episode.

I was also hoping to be able to switch him back to Solid Gold as it is quite a bit cheaper than buying ID Low Fat but his pancreatic test came back with some elevation (better than last year). So, I will be keeping him on ID as a precaution to prevent a flare up.

His blood had some giant platelets. The number of regular platelets was normal. I think maybe just platelets clumped together during testing. He does not show any symptoms of predisposition to bleeding or bruising.

His walking is fine. We have not been on a walk because of Sofie, but he is cheerful self, enjoys his food. I am very happy with the way surgery turned out. a little over 9 months now. We talked with Dr Lantry about it. She said it doesn't always turn out this well. She had another client dachsie who unfortunately was deemed not a surgical candidate after an MRI revealed too much damage to her spine and the dog was suffering . She was only 2 and had to be put down. I think time lapsed from injury and severity of injury are the most important factors for recovery. I reflect where we started. Sebastian was down completely with just deep pain sensation. And now he is back to normal. He is my snuggle buddy and I am so glad he is still around. They are both turning 12 next month.
    Olga

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to alfina For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Awesome update!
    Hoomom who was blessed with Jack. RIP Sweet Cynda 6/3/10, loving Lexie 9/13/13 and Jack, 3/22/16.

Thanks

Very good update
    Kim & the Girls

With me always, Cassie & Angel

Thanks

I'm glad things turned out well for both of you. I know that surgery is not always completely successful. Amanda was able to walk and run after surgery, but was always walked funny and ran using her back legs together after that. But I was always just happy she could get around for years until she got very old.

Go, Sebastian!

DREAM Dachshund Rescue