Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks

he's doing VERY well for so soon after surgery! Seriously! Laika's first surgery she didn't walk for a week and she came back 99.9%. She couldn't even urinate for 4 days. So he's doing GREAT. Just walking with the sling is good exercise..just for a few minutes at a time and I know Yolanda suggested I stand Laika up to eat so I did that (standing over her the whole time!)
    Dogs are so amazing and heal soooo fast.
    and wagging is great! But just the fact that he regained the ability to pee so quickly is a great sign, too!
    for a poop today! it's hard cuz I think it hurts their incision to get in position for a poop and pain meds are constipating also.
    Amy, Laika, Owen and Salsa

and Segue

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 658 Posts

Another terrific update, Olga!!! And for what it's worth, it's not uncommon for my guys to sometimes go 2 or 3 days after fasting or not eating for a day before the first poop shows up.
    Paula & Buster
    & my s Maxe, Alex, Wendal, Jules & James, Patti, Ferkel and Heidi,

"The greatest of all mistakes is to do nothing because you can only do a little. Do what you can."

Thanks

Angela
    Rusty, Odie & Baxter

Thanks

Default Day 4 post surgery

Last night I heard Sebastian cry out. I think he bumped into the side of the plastic crate when he was moving around. I checked on him and he was ok. It is so disheartening to know that he is hurting. It was too early to give him another pain pill and he looked ok, so I just petted him and we went back to sleep. Today his stroller should be delivered. I think I will have him sleep in it to avoid repeat of last night.

This morning when I opened his night crate to take him out, he raised his rear to stand up. OMG, it was so exciting to see! We went out for potty. I still have to place his feet correctly and support him. I think he used up all his strength on that one time. But still so exciting. He does try to take a couple of steps after he pees.

I spoke with my vet and decided to do 6 laser treatments for him. We did one this morning, will do 2 next week. There was a couple in the waiting area. Their lab was getting laser before us for his arthritis. The owners said he couldn't walk before because of so much pain. Now when they ask him if he wants to go to the doctor, he rushes to the door, laser makes him feel so good. They have been coming once a week for a few months now. The treatment is with laser 4 category, it supposed to reduce inflammation and pain, and to improve healing. The length of treatment is 3 minutes. Sebastian definitely relaxed now. We live now 10 minutes away from the vet office, got home and he fell asleep in his large crate. His ear ended up in his water bowl but he didn't care.

Update: Just saw him scratching his side with his left leg!!! And his stroller is here and my daughter said "Now you are going to be one of those people??" LOL.
    Last edited by alfina; 05-02-2015 at 05:36 PM.
    Olga
    Remembering my angels Sebastian and Sofie.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to alfina For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 700 Posts

That's amazing that he tried to get up I'm interested in hearing about the laser treatments. In my book anything that makes them relax that much has to help them. Just being relaxed promotes better healing. Go, Sebastion!
    Patrice and the Houston Duo

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

Thanks

Awesome news! He is really doing well! Laser therapy is amazing. I get it on my knee for osteoarthritis. Keep on posting, and more ! I think he will recover quickly, but don't rush it. Slow and easy is the best. I kept Jack crated for two extra weeks, just to be ultra safe. I'm glad I did.
    Hoomom who was blessed with Jack. RIP Sweet Cynda 6/3/10, loving Lexie 9/13/13 and Jack, 3/22/16.

Thanks

Default Day 6

I have been working the last 2 days my 12 hour shifts. Sunday my daughter was taking care of him and they did ok. Today I had a dog walker come to allow potty breaks every 4 hours. He also used potty pad I left for him in his extra large crate. Sebastian is doing well. He is more mobile now and is comfortable to bend around and lick his incision *sigh*. He tries to take more steps when I take him out. Tomorrow is the last day of 2 doses of prednisone a day. I am supposed to give him just once a day dose after tomorrow. We finished antibiotics today.

I was talking to my manager about Sebastian and mentioned laser treatments. Turns out that her dachsie was attacked by a pitbull and nearly was skinned alive. Because of extensive damage to the skin, it went necrotic and created large open wound on the pup's back.They did laser treatments and the wounds healed. She was a bedside nurse for 20 years, and the wound were horrible she said. She really believes in the laser treatments.
    Olga
    Remembering my angels Sebastian and Sofie.

Thanks

Continued good news! Yes, laser therapy is like magic. I can vouch for that! I highly recommend them. More .
    Hoomom who was blessed with Jack. RIP Sweet Cynda 6/3/10, loving Lexie 9/13/13 and Jack, 3/22/16.

Thanks

Sounds like things are going well for Sebastian.

My holistic vet uses acupuncture and laser. I highly recommend them and believe you will see marked improvement.
    Yolanda and the FurCrew.

" .... It takes a village ....."

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Yolanda For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 658 Posts

Such a good update!!! Continued . I've had laser, acupuncture and chiro at various times for the dogs, and they do seem to work. I must admit that acupuncture was not great with Alex, but the laser and the chiro sure were! Absolutely worth the money.
    Paula & Buster
    & my s Maxe, Alex, Wendal, Jules & James, Patti, Ferkel and Heidi,

"The greatest of all mistakes is to do nothing because you can only do a little. Do what you can."