Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Thanks

Default Buddy's back is sore again, IVDD

Buddy's back was acting up (on & off) for the past month. He seemed to be favoring his neck & right front leg, so he wore the neck brace 24/7. The 2 wks of Rimadyl helped immensely, and so then we thought he was back to normal. But nope, it didn't remain so. Today, he flushed a critter (groundhog?) from under the deck, and he excitedly chased that rodent at high speed into the back 40. Yippee, right? Ten minutes later, he was in agony, yelping in the kitchen. The yelping didn't subside, and he's arching his back in pain, so it's off to the vet we go....

Vet did some manipulations and decided it was a cervical IVDD issue, not leg issue. Acupuncture settled Buddy down, to almost asleep, and his shaking & yelping stopped. Yay. Strange that the biggest reaction to all those 41 acupuncture needle insertions were at the T12/T13 site of his earlier IVDD surgery, not at his neck. So perhaps the old site is still bothering him? Maybe over-compensating for it up front might be transferring his pain up to the neck area? Anyway, acupuncture helped, so we have 2 more acupuncture sessions scheduled, 1 week apart. Blood tests were perfect, so Buddy also got Vetalog injected into his back, to lessen the inflammation. Hope it works.

Buddy is back in the slammer. Caged for the duration, for conservative IVDD treatment. This time we're gonna be nasty & enforce it for 24/7. He's gonna hate me.

Thanks

Oh, no! Poor Buddy. Acupuncture works wonders and so glad it seemed to help. It helped Jack a lot, too. Tons of !
    Hoomom who was blessed with Jack. RIP Sweet Cynda 6/3/10, loving Lexie 9/13/13 and Jack, 3/22/16.

Thanks

Buddy, Buddy, Buddy. What is daddy going to do with his "hunter"?

Sorry to read this and I hope that he improves immensely. Yes, sometime you do seem to have re-occurring pain near the original site. It could even be a new issue right next ot it. Either way I know you are on top of it.

Hugs and Prayers along with
    Yolanda and the FurCrew.

" .... It takes a village ....."

Thanks

Oh no! I am very sorry to read that Buddy is in pain. Glad you got him in so fast. I think it is amazing he responded so well to acupuncture. Pixel hated it. But the results can be outstanding!

Lots of get well rayz for Buddy!!!

..POGO....PIXEL.....P’NUT....PEPSI

Thanks

When they did Buddy's surgery did they do fenestration?
    Olga
    Remembering my angels Sebastian and Sofie.

Thanks

Nope, no fenestration. The surgeon said they stopped doing fenestration cuz it didn't seem to help, and it sometimes made matters worse for the surrounding discs. In Buddy's case, he had herniations in 2 adjacent vertebral discs.

Today, Buddy thinks he's Super-Dog, cuz the steroids are awesome, and they mask all the pain. He's not happy being trapped in the crate. I think we'll have to resort to a stroller again.

Thanks

Poor Buddy. More
    Hoomom who was blessed with Jack. RIP Sweet Cynda 6/3/10, loving Lexie 9/13/13 and Jack, 3/22/16.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 658 Posts

Tons of ...isn't fenestration where they throw people out of the window?
    Paula & Buster
    & my s Maxe, Alex, Wendal, Jules & James, Patti, Ferkel and Heidi,

"The greatest of all mistakes is to do nothing because you can only do a little. Do what you can."

Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 700 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Alex's Mom View Post
    Tons of ...isn't fenestration where they throw people out of the window?
    I actually have no idea what fenestration is
    Patrice and the Houston Duo

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

Thanks

Fenestration is an extra prophylactic (ie, preventative) procedure performed during a laminectomy (ie, IVDD surgery). It's optional, and a bit controversial. Btw, these surgeries are same in both humans and dogs.

In our spine, each fleshy disc has 2 parts (ie, 2 kinds of tissue): a nucleus and annulus. The nucleus is the central shock-absorber, and the annulus is the surrounding ring that holds the nucleus in place. IVDD is a disc herniation in which the nucleus escapes from a weak annulus ring, and it bulges out to pinch against the nearby spinal nerves (just millimeters away). Ouch! Laminectomy is cutting away that bulge. Whew, instant relief! Fenestration is cutting open the other nearby disc annulus, too, to remove its nucleus, in the hopes of preventing it from herniating in the future. Basically sacrificing the neighboring discs by destroying them now, in a controlled pain-free fashion. Even though those other discs are still perfectly healthy, at the moment. Hence the controversy. Some doctors fenestrate, but ours didn't.

You can read more about it here:
    http://www.dachshund-dca.org/discbook.html
    http://cal.vet.upenn.edu/projects/sa..._62/62mast.htm