Thanks

Default Petpartners will not allow raw food fed pets into their therapy pet program

Do you know that if you feed your pets a raw food diet (meat), that Petpartners, a group that helps owners train their pets to work as therapy pets, will not allow the pet into the program. http://www.petpartners.org/rawproteindietpolicy

Decision:
    Over the past few years, interest in feeding raw protein diets to pets has been increasing. We recognize this topic is a complex one as it can impact both animal and human health. We respect that some people believe feeding raw proteins to their pets is the best for their animal’s health – and we appreciate their choice to do so for their pets’ well-being, which should always be of highest priority. At the same time, we also recognize that there is concern from medical professionals that humans, especially those with compromised immune systems, may be at a higher risk of infection by interacting with animals who eat raw proteins.
    Why?:
    Articles in the American Journal of Infection Control, Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association and other sources document that animals fed raw protein diets (including BARF or other raw protein diets) shed significantly higher amounts of pathogenic bacteria than those fed cooked proteins. Indications are that this may put some people at risk, as compared to pets being fed commercially prepared or cooked, home-made diets. Please see referenced articles to the right to learn more.
    While I understand their reasoning, I am saddened that they would not allow Juney or Trixie to come into their program, I am choosing to continue feeding them a raw food diet because of my experience with Cooler.
    Faye and her furbabies, Juney (13 yrs old and a sweetie); Trixie (11 yrs old and a sweetie, too); Mr. Gray (8 yrs old); Miss Lilly (8 yrs old)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 700 Posts

I guess it's their preogative to not allow raw fed pets into their program, but in my opinion it's a lot of bunk. I've also heard the so-called "experts" talking about how unhealthy it is to have dogs around your children. I find that funny when you consider that kids are a major germ pool in themselves. I doubt the dogs have more germs than they do.

There's also a severe lack of information among doctors about any forms of nutrition or medicine that are out of the norm. They, frankly, don't know squat about it. There's most likely a lot higher chance of someone getting an infection from the very hospital that is supposed to cure them than there is from a raw fed dog.

People who have such narrow beliefs annoy me and I don't want to associate with them.
    Patrice and the Houston Duo

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

Thanks

This Pet Partners policy is laughable, and stupid. Pure politics from junk science. I suspect the big pet food industry orchestrated this shame.

So a dog can eat lotsa POOP, and that's OK. Why? Or have E.Coli, ebola, giardia, parasites, or anything else, and that's OK. Why? But salmonella (which occurs naturally, and comes from feces) is singled out. Why?

TO reiterate: Eating POOP is OK, but eating fresh meat is NOT. Huh?

WASH YOUR HANDS WHEN YOU POOP, OR PICK UP POOP. It's that simple! That would have been a better policy, except it doesn't suit the kibble companies who want to squash ALL competition. It's all about pet-food money.

Does Pet Partners NOT advocate washing hands after the poop? Why not? That alone fixes the real issue. The rest is pure fear-mongering.

Why is salmonella so dangerous? It occurs in nature. It's everywhere. Bacteria of all sorts exists in nature. Why pick on raw food? That's ludicrous.
    http://foodpoisoningbulletin.com/201...al-intestines/
    http://www.cdc.gov/salmonella/dog-fo...ners-info.html

What about dogs who eat treats or kibble RECALLED for salmonella? Why are they exempt, if salmonella was so scary? Oh, it's the money!

Oh, and I used "salmonella" to filter the list of recalls in the FDA page cited by Pet Partners, and it lists absolutely NO MEAT PRODUCTS, but does list a few nuts, some garlic powder, salad, and salad dressing. It's a VERY short list. The closest to meat is a plastic chewy Nylabone.
    http://www.fda.gov/Safety/Recalls/default.htm

Oh, and it's a 4 week waiting period. Even RABIES is only 10 days quarantine. So human-grade grocery store meat is MORE dangerous than rabies!?!! Stupid.
    Last edited by Ivan; 05-12-2015 at 09:39 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 700 Posts

There are other therapy dog groups, Faye. I'd see if there was another one operating in your area who was more reasonable about their requirements.
    Patrice and the Houston Duo

DREAM Dachshund Rescue