Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Default Lizzy vs. cushings

Lizzy needs some rays.
    Lizzy had an ultrasound & xrays, yesterday. To diagnose her distended belly, constant panting, chronic rapid breathing, inability to relax, stressed, etc.
    Overall, she's in great condition, except... They found a 1" tumor on her adrenal gland, which is most likely over-stimulating her adrenal gland.
    Yikes! The vet suspects this might be Cushings disease, and this tumor would certainly cause it. They don't know if the tumor is growing, or not.
    The 2nd adrenal gland has atrophied, which seems normal, given that the other one is over-producing, so the normal one remains inactive.
    No wonder Lizzy is always on overdrive, and always starving for food. She's high on adrenaline and stress hormones.
    She doesn't drink nor pee abnormally, but does exhibit some of the other Cushings symptoms.

So what to do next? Vet suggested many options, starting with urine tests & then blood tests for Cushings. He didn't jump to the surgical removal option,
    cuz they don't know if it's cancerous or not. A non-cancerous tumor (an "incidentaloma") can stay there for years, so then he'd just treat the symptoms.
    A cancerous tumor can spread, if it hasn't already. So scary.

Riddle me this: how does one possibly capture urine from a dog who pees outdoors?
    As for treatment vs. surgery, I'm leaning towards: get that thing OUTTA her.
    I'm hoping that would treat the cause, not the symptoms. (Why does Rocky Horror come to mind?)
    Last edited by Ivan; 05-16-2015 at 11:12 AM.

Thanks

Wish I had some good suggestions! Sending . I'm sure you will do the best for her. Let the vet catch the urine, they are experts.
    Hoomom who was blessed with Jack. RIP Sweet Cynda 6/3/10, loving Lexie 9/13/13 and Jack, 3/22/16.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 700 Posts

I"m so sorry, Ivan. I have no experience with Cushings. I have, however, had personal experience with elevated cortisol and it's no fun. Poor Lizzy.

I have had to get a urine sample from a dog who pees outside. The best thing I've found is a large kitchen ladle. It will slip right under them to catch the urine. A small low dish can also be used but it's a bit harder to slide it under and catch the urine.

IDK about the surgery vs. treatment thing. That's such a hard decision. Since surgery carries it's own dangers and isn't always sucessful, I'm more of a conservatives treatment sort. But it depends a lot on the individual case, how aggressive the tumor is, blah, blah, blah.

Sending for Lizzy
    Patrice and the Houston Duo

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

Thanks

I use a frozen dinner tray and try to slide under the dogs or my catches.

Can they do a needle aspiration of the tumor? If so I would go that route first. testing needs to e done to see if it is cushing or the opposite (starts with a "A").
    Yolanda and the FurCrew.

" .... It takes a village ....."

Thanks

I wonder if aspiration would be easy on a 1" diameter tumor? They didn't even mention that idea. I'll ask.

By "opposite", do you mean Addison's disease? I'll have to research it along with Cushings.
    Prima facie, Lizzy's symptoms don't seem to match Addisons (hypo-), but they sure do match Cushings (hyper-).
    Both seem to be forms of adrenocorticism.

Cushings: http://www.petmd.com/dog/conditions/...drenocorticism
    Addisons: http://www.petmd.com/dog/conditions/...drenocorticism

Thanks

Lots and lots of Lizzy rayz, please keep us posted on how she is doing.

Very, very scary!

..POGO....PIXEL.....P’NUT....PEPSI

Thanks

Rayz
    Kim & the Girls

With me always, Cassie & Angel

Thanks

Sending for Lizzy. Keep us posted on how she is doing.
    In Loving Memory.....Roxy 08/01/97-12/01/ 2011. Tigger (Tabby cat) 8/30/00-12/05/13, and Conan (Maine Coon Cat) July 1999-08/06/14. Lily 12/01/2003-10/22/2105

Thanks

Olga
    Remembering my angels Sebastian and Sofie.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 658 Posts

Alex was Cushinoid, Ivan. It's a fairly common disease, and honestly, extremely magaeable with meds and food. You'll see a HUGE difference once they get the levels sorted out. I think I'd try the conservative route if it was me, at least to start, and monitor the growth of the tumour. It's a tricky surgery, from what I understand, and not always successful.Just my . Sending tons of

As for the urine sample, my dogs have always been trained to pee on command (cuz they're mostly incontinent anyway ), and with the grils, sliding a jar lid, or a small pie plate (or a tart "plate" size) or even a yogurt container lid (the idea being it's relatively flat) under them while peeing helps. They're going to want the first pee in the morning cuz its the most concentrated. Good thing it's light early . Good luck!
    Paula & Buster
    & my s Maxe, Alex, Wendal, Jules & James, Patti, Ferkel and Heidi,

"The greatest of all mistakes is to do nothing because you can only do a little. Do what you can."