Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Default 1 year ago today

1 year ago today Rusty went down with IVDD. Friday May 22nd, one year ago he had back surgery.

Obviously all/most IVDD story's are the same, but here is his....

Im sorry, the pics are VPH but I re sized them

& because I wrote this for our vet's (they wanted a story) you will read things you already know about IVDD ;-)

May 19th 2014
    I heard a screech from the living room. I found myself rushing Rusty to the Emergency Vet right after. Dachshunds are prone to back problems. It is genetic. I knew this. But I wasn't ready for it to happen to one of my own. When he went down, his back legs were paralyzed (normal). He had no control of his bladder. We received medicine for the pain and were ordered to crate him once home and to follow up with our regular vet in 4 days. Once a dog goes down with IVDD (Invertebrate Disk Disease) you have about 24hrs to get the surgery needed as long as they are a candidate. My ER Vet told me to wait 4 days. I knew about the 24hrs, yet I listened to the experts and waited (My biggest regret, waiting)

May 22nd 2014
    we followed up with our regular vet at 5pm, rushed Rusty right to Animal Neurology, Rehab & ER Center after, an hour’s drive. Everything was discussed. Rusty was a candidate for surgery. We made the decision to do it. I was sick to my stomach. We got home about 8pm. Not a minute after we got home, I received a call from the vet. Per the MRI, it was worse than they thought. They said they could do the surgery but his quality of life wouldn't be good. He was in pain. Surgery could relieve the pain but he had a 10% chance or ever walking again. Basically I think they were trying to tell me, it was time to let him go. I told them to do the surgery to help relieve the pain and if it didn't work, then we will decide what to do after.

Rusty spent 7 days at the Neurology center. He wouldn't eat for them. He had a UTI and had a catheter. He still had no feeling in his feet. We were able to visit him. I got him to eat a little when I came. Rusty has never ever been away from home before, other than staying with my parents. I know that is why he wouldn't eat. When we brought him home, he still had no feeling in his back legs. I had to express his bladder. I would walk him in the yard with a sling. 2-3 times a day I would do his leg exercises. A week later, he wagged his tail for the first time. Feeling was coming back!!!

June 2014.
    He took his first step!!!! Remember, we were told he may never walk again. He couldn't hold himself up but those legs were moving!!!

July 2014.
    We started hydrotherapy and acupuncture. We are very thankful that just this month a new vet opened up down the road and offered rehab where no one else in the area did. They are amazing and we are very blessed for them. We went weekly, to every other week and still go now, a year later. This is a big part of the reason Rusty is able to walk today. Thank you so much to Dr. Grewal and the staff of Healing Care Animal Hospital, Allen Park MI.

Almost one year later now, we have a walking, running, happy go lucky dog!!!! He has a slight limp in his right back leg. He can’t take long walks without getting tired. He still drags his back toes a little so he wears PAWZ rubber boots on his walks. He has all feeling and can potty on his own now.

We have our boy! I couldn't ask for more.

After Surgery

We got to Visit :-)

Rehab at home, it was the only way to keep him up while we stretched the legs

Crate rest was no fun LOL

Enjoying the day

Rehab at our new vet

Today :-)

Angela
    Rusty, Odie & Baxter

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RustysMom For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 700 Posts

Awww, wonderful story! Thanks for posting that Angela.

Go, Rusty!
    Patrice and the Houston Duo

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

4. The Following User Says Thank You to lotsadox For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Beautiful story, with a happy ending. Rusty is lucky that you did all the right things for him, and that due to determination & rehab he can still run like the wind, with Odie by his side. Yay! He looks so majestic in that last photo (lying on fleece blanket).

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Ivan For This Useful Post:

Thanks

It was a long, scary journey. But WOW, look at him now!!

p.s. I never doubted for even a second your boy would walk again.

..POGO....PIXEL.....P’NUT....PEPSI

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lisa For This Useful Post:

Thanks

And BTW, the e-vet told me that Bogart would never walk again, too.

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

10. The Following User Says Thank You to lotsadox For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Great story! I suggest not to believe a vet who says your dachsie will never walk again. Most vets don't know how determined a dachsie can be!
    Hoomom who was blessed with Jack. RIP Sweet Cynda 6/3/10, loving Lexie 9/13/13 and Jack, 3/22/16.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to LexieLuvr For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Great story!
    Olga
    Remembering my angels Sebastian and Sofie.

Thanks

Hard work,prayers and dedication. You are a great mom and its nice to have a Vet to back you up. Hydrotherapy is awesome. Yay Rusty

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LexieLuvr View Post
    Great story! I suggest not to believe a vet who says your dachsie will never walk again. Most vets don't know how determined a dachsie can be!
    My vet has gotten pretty good with doxies with all the ones I've had. When the e-vet told me Bogart would never walk again, I didn't believe her and took him to my vet on Mon. She examined him and said "I'm not ready to give up on him walking yet. They looked at him and saw a 15 year old dog. They don't know how healthy he is and probably don't realize how determined dachshunds are"

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

Thanks

Thank you everyone! we are definitely celebrating Rusty's life. I know IVDD isn't a death sentence so that's why we chose to do the surgery. It was the Neurologist that said he may never walk again and they know their dachshunds, they have done many IVDD surgeries. I wasn't giving up on him I was a little doubtful that he may never walk again. But we are so blessed he pulled through this and is here today, walking, running and enjoying life.

He has hydrotherapy next friday. I may ask about a leg brace for his back right leg to help him on walks. He is/was my walking partner. He still enjoys going out on walks but they are short now. I don't want to lengthen the time of our walks, i want him to be comfortable on them. His right back leg turns inside now and toes drag. I cover that foot with a boot which helps. I found a couple of leg braces on HandicappedPets.com that help with that issue. But I want to check with our vet first. I don't ever see him turning that foot back around and walking normal again.
    Angela
    Rusty, Odie & Baxter