Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Default Hmm... Hunger Strike??

Well, Sonny has been doing pretty well.
    He came home on Purina One. I had grabbed a small bag of that and after a couple weeks, transitioned him over to Wellness Core Small Breed.
    He was eating fine.
    1/4 cup in am & 1/4 cup at night.
    I'd ask him where his food was and he'd go right to the cupboard door.
    I'd get his bowls, food & fresh water, he'd sit and speak for it, then eat it right away.

All of a sudden, he has started turning his nose up to it?
    Monday & Tuesday had to coax him over to his bowl and he reluctantly ate.
    Now I ask him if he want's to eat and he'll turn his back to me.
    Wednesday am he just went back in his crate and won't go near the bowl.
    Won't even take the kibbles as a treat.
    So now he hasn't touched the kibble for two days.

Still acting fine.
    He'll take his hot dog or cheese rewards just fine.
    Still pee/poop'g normal.
    I even had a couple little sample bags of Nature Science & TOTW kibble that someone had given me. Last night I said let's give those a try.
    He was excited while I was opening the bag. Had him sit & speak. When he realized it was kibble, he just took it and went over and tried to hide it?

Trying to wait him out.
    Figure he'll eat when he gets hungry, but stressful when they won't eat!
    And I'd really like to keep him on kibble too.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks

Yes, he won't starve himself, so when he's hungry enough, he will eat. Don't let him train you!
    Hoomom who was blessed with Jack. RIP Sweet Cynda 6/3/10, loving Lexie 9/13/13 and Jack, 3/22/16.

Thanks

Ditto! My dogs have gone on hunger strikes. They won't even eat breakfast so they only eat 1/4 C at dinner and a treat before bed. He will eat when he's hungry enough. Don't leave it out either. He doesn't eat, pick it up and put it away. Give it again later.
    Angela
    Rusty, Odie & Baxter

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RustysMom For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Check for a recall on it. Since he's eating other things I would be suspicious of something wrong with it. A better product would be Solid Gold. They make several varieties of kibble. My doxies lived to over 16 by eating only Solid Gold or Newman's own.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 658 Posts

I'd wonder if it's his teeth? Maybe the hard kibble is hurting to eat...the other things you mentioned are soft. Try soaking it in warm water til it's soft, or mix it with a bit of canned for a bit and see if he's happier about it. That's a really extreme reaction for just being fussy, especially coming on so quickly. Sounds more like a pain response to me. Didn't you say he was about 4 months old? That's the age when they shed their baby teeth and their adult teeth come in. It could be teething pain.
    Paula & Buster
    & my s Maxe, Alex, Wendal, Jules & James, Patti, Ferkel and Heidi,

"The greatest of all mistakes is to do nothing because you can only do a little. Do what you can."

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alex's Mom For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Alex's Mom View Post
    I'd wonder if it's his teeth?
    I was wondering about teeth too.
    He's been going crazy with two nyla bones that he had no interest in before, and he's destroying his Kong wubba. Ate the ear of the thing!

He gets them way back in the corners of his mouth and just gnaws on them.
    But he's almost 9 months? Not sure if anything is still going on at that age??

Found out that my daughter actually fed him his breakfast kibble by hand yesterday afternoon. Softy! And he ate it.
    Last night I put his supper down - no interest.
    This am I took the kibble from last night and wet it with warm water (which I always did until he went on his hunger strike). At first ignored it again, then went over and ate the whole thing?

Oh well, guess we've got an eccentric pooch!
    (or by the sounds, just a normal Dachshund! )

Thanks

Yep, just a normal dachsund.
    Hoomom who was blessed with Jack. RIP Sweet Cynda 6/3/10, loving Lexie 9/13/13 and Jack, 3/22/16.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to LexieLuvr For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Our completely healthy doxie mix was/is pulling this ruse with us!!

1) We talked to our vet: teeth are marvelous, healthy all around!
    2) Toys: Does she chomp on Nylabones? Yes- until her jaw became too strong for them. (We are a zogoflex mini bone and black Kong house now.)
    3) Does she eat super crunchy treats? Yes!
    4) Did we take the bait and transition her to different kibble? Yes! (totally fell for it.)
    5) Did she loooooove the new kibble, only to be a picky eater three weeks later? Why, yes!!

If I move her bowl to a low-traffic area, she will eat. (Shelter girl, shelter issues) So, she is dining in "safe" places away from the kitchen... which is pretty smart survival. If I leave her bowl in the kitchen, she'll dart in for a mouthful, set the kibble down in the hallway and eat it there.

6) Would I ever turn into such a push-over where I gently heat up her kibble to make it "tastier?" Me?! (no comment!)

P.S. She was approximately 1-year old when we got her. At the 2-year mark, her snout had grown a LOT. Even though her adult teeth were fully in on her gotcha day, she was still teething in a way. (Plus, she had never seen a toy before and discovered how awesome chomping could be!)
    Adopt a Senior!

-Renée and Pokey (1992-2008)

Thanks

P.P.S. Just like drinking water, she will eat when fully at ease.

I've seen her dream with raised hackles, and I've seen her dream with a very happy wagging tail. Some of her setbacks and leaps forward have been due to dreams. I'm sure of it.

Congrats on your puppy!! Sounds like you have The Hunger Games figured out!
    Adopt a Senior!

-Renée and Pokey (1992-2008)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pokeys Mom View Post
    Congrats on your puppy!! Sounds like you have The Hunger Games figured out!
    Not sure what I've got figured out with this little guy! I think he's just a pretty eccentric pooch!

He experienced rainy day potty trips for the first time this week.
    Doesn't like the wet ground!
    Just stands there like a statue shivering!
    ???? YIKES! Wonder what he's going to do in the winter?

As far as the hunger strike, it lasted a few days and then off & on for about a week.
    I really think it has/had something to do with his teeth.
    When it started, I was near the end of the bag of Wellness Core Small Breed (5 star).
    I had a coupon for Rachael Ray's grain free (4 star) so thought I'd give it a try & started mixing it with the Wellness. He picked out the RR & left it on the floor. They were bigger kibble and hard as rocks?? RR is out!
    Figured I had to get something else & my wife stopped at the feed store and came home with their recommendation Holistic Select Small & Mini (4.5 star). Not grain free, but he has eaten every meal since. (Was also pleased to find out that it comes from same manf. as Wellness.)

My plan now is to try rotation at the end of each bag (all 4.5 to 5 star) - Holistic Select Small & Mini, Holistic Select Grain Free Adult & Puppy (fish based), Holistic Select Grain Free adult (poultry based), Wellness Core Small Breed (meat based).

Also ran into a salesman for Earthborn at Tractor Supply.
    He seemed very knowledgeable & made some good points about the food at this quality level all being pretty equal. Their brand does appear to have very similar quality as the brands I like above, at a little lower price, so may give it a try at some point too.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to NAUTIQUE For This Useful Post: