Thread: Buddy Harness

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 658 Posts

Default Buddy Harness

Has anyone ever heard of or used the Buddy-Belt harness? I've been trying to find something that doesn't press on the neck or chest for Ferk and Heidi, and saw a couple of these at the Wiernerpawlooza on Sunday, and thought that they might do the trick. They were on bigger dachsies though, so not sure if they'd fit under little front legs / armpits...although according to their website it was designed for Buddy, who was a mini-dachsie! http://buddy-belts.com/our-story/ Thoughts?
    Paula & Buster
    & my s Maxe, Alex, Wendal, Jules & James, Patti, Ferkel and Heidi,

"The greatest of all mistakes is to do nothing because you can only do a little. Do what you can."

Thanks

We don't have a Buddy-Belt (tm), but we do have something very similar, made by http://chokefree.com
    See http://stores.puttinonthedogshop.com...s-or-crystals/

Buddy has a 22-inch black leather Chokefree (tm) harness. Same concept. It's minimalist, great for hot summer days. It's fast & easy to put on. Never chokes. It sits low (nice). It works great as a harness. He has never slipped out of it. It's comfy for him, and does not rub anywhere (eg, armpits). But the sizing must be perfect, so that its handy D-ring will actually fit into its overlapping slot (above withers). Buddy's chest is very deep, with a sharp boat-like "keel", so originally it fit kinda weird at that lowest spot when it was new (due to stiffer leather), but fits well nowadays. Dog-tags must be removed to install harness (they won't pass thru the leather slot), and then tags re-clipped onto D-ring. That just takes an extra 5 seconds. I do like this harness. Now they make fabric ones too. For fitting see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhUxwkLsRg0

Buddy-Belt (tm) looks great. Very similar. Much like eyeglasses, whose "nose-bridge" is smaller, so that spot may flex & fit even better on a deeply keeled dachshund. It's minimalist, and sits low, too. The round arm holes seem better. Buddy-Belt only comes with a buckle, no snap closure, so that gave me pause. And no local vendors. They're a Canadian company (from T.O.), so probably more readily available up there. Amazon has reviews.

Thanks

Good info, Ivan! I like the fabric in yours. There are a number of local vendors here, of course, being in Canada. I called a couple, and they have them in stock, so I'll take the girls in and see how we go. The thing I like about these is that like the hug-a-dox harnesses, they're designed specifically for that deep dachshund chest. Neither of the girls are particularly "well developed" in the chesticle area either.
    Paula & Buster

"The greatest of all mistakes is to do nothing because you can only do a little. Do what you can."

Thanks

Pick Me! Pick Me! I started using Buddy Belts when Lowla first came to live with me. When Mitch came, he got one. They are very pricey but so worth it! Pepper is using Lowla's and Bailey is using Mitch's. Mitch still uses his on occasion but he likes the green figure 8 harness with skulls on it that Pepper was wearing when she came to live here - says it makes him feel more manly - I don't know about that boy...

The Buddy Belts are the bomb! I have never had one escape from them. They have held up for over 11 years now and still going strong. The only thing that has worn off is the Buddy Belt logo tag. My vet loves them because they don't have to unharness the dogs to give routine shots and they also think they are very nice harnesses. I have had to pull the dogs back from danger and never once worried about the harness giving way. They are so strong you can take them for granted that they are just going to protect your dog. When I bought there were only 2 color choices: Red or Black. I have one of each and there is no quality differences between them.

I bought through www.Muttropolis.com but if I recall, they are made in Canada, correct?

You can't go wrong. I would buy them again and again.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Red Haired Girl For This Useful Post:

Thanks

And just for grins, here's Lizzy wearing the Choke-Free harness:
    https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resi...nt=photo%2cJPG

Thanks

Gorgeous girl!!

Thanks for the endorsement, Tracy!!! I did pick two up yesterday, but without the girls. I couldn't even get the end to meet on chunky monkey Heidi (note to self...put that girl on a diet!!!!!), and I could do it up on Ferk, but it was really tight. You should have seen her reaction to it...like she was stuck in a crocodile's jaws . So tomorrow, I'm taking them to the store and we'll try them on there and find the one that fits. They're not big on clothes, but I can't keep walking them in their collars. They are pricey, but worth it, if we can get the right ones. (I got a red one for Heidi and a black one for Ferk.) I have to say though that Ferk was in pretty bad shape this morning wioth her breathing...I hope she needs it!!
    Paula & Buster

Thanks

When I bought I was instructed to fit so the buckle would go in the 3rd grommet on the belt.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Thanks

Well, I bought them The first ones I got wouldn't even go around Heidi (I measured wrong ) and was so tight on Ferk that she started acting like she was in the jaws of a crocodile!! So I took them into the store and got them fitted properly, and they're great!!! Not sure the girls like them very much, esp. Ferk, who wouldn't even walk the first time I put them on them to go for a walk at the barn. However, her breathing's so bad now that walking is pretty much a thing of the past for her most days, so not fussing about it. Hedi loves walking so is willing to put up with it. I did get some pics of them this morning at the barn, but for some reason they're not downloading from my camera so will post them when I get it figured out. (I used my schmancy...never have this problem with my point & shoot!) They're not cheap, but they are durable...and look great on!
    Paula & Buster

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Alex's Mom For This Useful Post: