Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Default Sometimes he drives me INSANE! Like right NOW!

Milo is making me insane, I swear! There are just two things really that get on my very last nerve.

First, I swear he hates pooping. He absolutely will NOT go until he's just about to have an ass-ident! So we make 235879345702874362 trips outside with no poop. But, those trips are like five minutes apart because I know his schedule and I know "the look". He's been this way ever since I got him. When you factor in his anxiety and us moving to a new place, it's even worse. Milo refuses to go where he can smell another dog has gone. It's like the other dog left a message that says, "Do not go here!" and he's saying, "Mom, I can't. They said so." It's been a struggle trying to get him to find his own zone.

Second, all I can say sometimes is..."Damn scent hounds!!!!!" Maisy is simply curious about what she smells, Milo is obsessed!! He tracks. He'd be a brilliant hunting dog because he won't lose that scent for anything. And if he doesn't get what he's smelling for, he just keeps tracking the same path over and over again. Well, we have squirrels everywhere here. And, we have trees everywhere. That means squirrel smell suddenly leaves the ground and goes to the tree and he loses the scent. I had to drag him back in a little while ago because instead of pooping, he was busy tracking. He has spent the last half hour hitting the bells on the door asking to go out again. I finally took him out the back door and was successful in getting him to poop. As soon as we came back inside, right to the front door and hitting the bells again.

This dog knows hitting the bells is to ask to go outside. HOORAY he gets it. Now, if I could just get him to do when he's SUPPOSED to do it and not just when he feels like it.

Sometimes I have to just repeat, "I love him, I love him, I love him..." over and over again in my head while telling him, "Milo! Knock it off before I eat your hot dog self!"

Thanks

The joys of dachsie parenthood. Patience us the only suggestion I have. Maybe a super good treat when he gets it right?
    Hoomom who was blessed with Jack. RIP Sweet Cynda 6/3/10, loving Lexie 9/13/13 and Jack, 3/22/16.

Thanks

I feel your pain. Sonic is like that. and esp. when we go to agility trials or class. He will not even PEE. I'm like..what kind of boy are you???? Segue pees 97 times until there isn't a drop in him and Sonic holds it so long that he ends up peeing on me when I pick him up (I express him I guess) or he pees in the pen. makes no sense to me. but he came from a freaking HERD of dogs (10 other doxies) and was low man on the totem pole so I dunno if that is it.
    and the high scent/prey drive. That was Laika all over again. we had a groundhog under our deck and I swear she didn't poop at all for 3 days cuz she could not stop tracking it.
    then when she DID poop, it actually hurt her and she became afraid of her own poop so would poop and RUN AWAY from it. dogs are so weird. wonderful but weird.
    no advice though except to stay with him and reward the heck out of pooping. treats, praise, party!
    can't make that prey drive go away though so if you can make the poop itself more rewarding... and also I would let him stay out a bit after he poops and has his treats so he doesn't equate going poop with having to go right back inside.
    Amy, Laika, Owen and Salsa

and Segue

4. The Following User Says Thank You to areese For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 658 Posts

My only thought (besides "Dachshunds!! **grrr*" ) is to take him somewhere different either on or off the property when he's got to go and then as Amy said, praise and treat the heck out of him. I wonder if there's an earthdog group near you? This might give him some outlet for that...? Hang in there! Beleive me, we ALL feel your pain .
    Paula & Buster
    & my s Maxe, Alex, Wendal, Jules & James, Patti, Ferkel and Heidi,

"The greatest of all mistakes is to do nothing because you can only do a little. Do what you can."

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Alex's Mom For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Savannah has also caught right on to "if I poop, it's over and we go back in the house."

I can't blame her for wanting to be outside and smell the smells, chase the critters and generally be a dog.

There's lotsa fun outside, mom! (And lotsa stuff to sniff.)
    Her Royal Highness, the Duchess of Wagoner 1993-2012.
    Happiness is a warm puppy ~ Charles M. Schultz
    Named Savannah Jane ~ Rae Wagoner

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rae For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Trust me, I throw MAJOR poop parties for both of them. It's most frustrating when I am only home for a short lunch break before going back to work and I can't get him to go. Like tonight. He wouldn't poop for me before I left for work. That means he went more than 12 hours without pooping. I figured I would either come home to a poop mess in his kennel (because he's not concerned about his personal space) or else he'd be dying to go out. Well thus far, no poop happening. We're at 18 hours without pooping now.

As for coming right back inside. That's his thing. I would walk him around if he wanted it. Nope, he prefers to be inside.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 658 Posts

I wouldn't be too concerned if he only poops once a day. That's not abnormal...most of my dogs have been like that. In fact, Ferk will go 36 hours sometimes between BMs. So long as he's peeing when you go home at lunch!!
    Paula & Buster
    & my s Maxe, Alex, Wendal, Jules & James, Patti, Ferkel and Heidi,

"The greatest of all mistakes is to do nothing because you can only do a little. Do what you can."

Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 700 Posts

Does he poop when you take him for a walk? If he does, I'd use that as a starting place. Take him for a walk. When he poops, make a big deal about it. Give him a special, extra good treat and fuss over him. Hopefully, he'll get the idea that pooping is fun and a good thing.

I agree with Paula. It won't hurt him if he goes past a day without pooping. He'll live.
    Patrice and the Houston Duo

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

Thanks

+1 for walkies.
    Above all, walking our furkids stimulates a BM, and is very effective. So is the little treat they get the SECOND they finish pooping.

Raw fed dogs poop a LOT less, and often go 3+ days without pooping anything. So that's normal over here, cuz raw meat is more fully digested and contains no "filler" (eg, plant matter) that just gets ejected out the other end. Less poop, less often.

Thanks

Well with no changes in how much he's eating or what he's eating, I know when he should be going. He didn't go last night before I left. He DID go on my lunch break. He has NOT gone yet this morning.