Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 658 Posts

Default Good news bad news and a mystery!

Had the girls in for rechecks today.

Good news: Heidi's back and neck are fine so she's now sprung from jail!!! Back to the big bed (not sure if that's a good thing or not...she kinda likes her princess room )

Mystery: that bump on her nose that sprung up in mere seconds hasn't gone away. Laura has no idea what it is, but it's not a lipoma (aspirated it). It could be a tumour, or a solidified hematoma. But it's not bothering her at all...not interfering withher breathing nor painful, just there. So we're just going to keep an eye on it. Laura says it's not somewhere she'd operate on because it's too close to the end of her nose, and it would be easy to mess up her breathing and sinuses.

Bad sad news: Ferk's kidneys have almost completely packed up. The meds/herbals she's been on gave us 6 weeks of continence, but the last 2 days she's had no bladder control at all. Not an infection, and her blood levels are really low. This is consistent with end stage COPD...heart involvement and as the organs are deprived of oxygen they start to shut down. Her breathing is very laboured too...not fluidy like with heart, just lungs that have no elasticity left. Laura had a "chat" with Ferk, and says she totally doesn't want to talk about it. She's been so perky the last few days...she and Heidi had 5 minutes of zoomies last evening at suppertime, then she basically just stopped. But her spirits are good, and she'll stay here as long as she wants to, and isn't hurting too much.

I'm trying to be matter of fact about it, but I'm dying here. She's such a perfect little dog, my little shadow. A happy, uncomplicated, wonderful little girl who deserved better than what she got before she came to me. I'm seriously considering taking the rest of the week off to be with her, because my gut's telling me we don't have much time together left.
    Paula & Buster
    & my s Maxe, Alex, Wendal, Jules & James, Patti, Ferkel and Heidi,

"The greatest of all mistakes is to do nothing because you can only do a little. Do what you can."

Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 700 Posts

Patrice and the Houston Duo

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

3. The Following User Says Thank You to lotsadox For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I've never known your gut to be wrong. I'm so sorry, Paula. You know intellectually what you're getting every time you open your heart and home... But your heart gets broken every time.

She's a lucky little girl to have you.
    Her Royal Highness, the Duchess of Wagoner 1993-2012.
    Happiness is a warm puppy ~ Charles M. Schultz
    Named Savannah Jane ~ Rae Wagoner

Thanks

Some advice you don't want to hear...

Holly's kidneys failed in the spring of 2012. Vet was stumped, no cure, no hope. So in desperation, we searched and discovered raw feeding, and we switched to 100% raw meat. Unprocessed, uncooked, raw meat (human grade). Holly's kidneys came back to life!!! Yes, from that alone! No medicines, just diet. Holly lived 2.5 more years. And her chronic coughing cleared up too (lots, but didn't 100% disappear).

Do you see why we're so pro raw? She lived! It might work for Ferk too? I dunno. Is it worth a try?

Thanks

I'm so sorry. Tons of hugs to both of you! Id sure give raw a try. You have nothing to lose.
    Hoomom who was blessed with Jack. RIP Sweet Cynda 6/3/10, loving Lexie 9/13/13 and Jack, 3/22/16.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 658 Posts

Ivan, Laura isn't stumped. This is the end stage of a disease that she's had for many years. We've known exactly how it would play out since she arrived, and it has. I know you think feeding raw is a cure-all, but I don't. And I don't care to revisit the discussion, especially right now, ok?
    Paula & Buster
    & my s Maxe, Alex, Wendal, Jules & James, Patti, Ferkel and Heidi,

"The greatest of all mistakes is to do nothing because you can only do a little. Do what you can."

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Alex's Mom For This Useful Post:

Thanks

As mom to two little senior girls, this makes my heart hurt a lot. I'm so sorry. I hope she does better than expected. She knows she is loved, though. Sounds like she has given as much as she's received.

So nice of Heidi to keep the Mystery Dog tradition going .
    Kim & the Girls

With me always, Cassie & Angel

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to oceangirls For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I know that life is rotten right now for youand the girls. Follow your gut adn do wht you think you need to do. You will regret it if you do not. Ferk is an amazing little girl and know that you love her bunches. She is showing you how much she loves you and her sister. The one I worry about is Heidi.

Hugs and prayers my friend. Loving the seniors is hard yet we both continue on.
    Yolanda and the FurCrew.

" .... It takes a village ....."

Thanks

All I have is love for you.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to M&M's Mom For This Useful Post:

Thanks