Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 700 Posts

Default Darby Dilemma Part II

It seems that Darby is having back problems again. He started being a bit hesitant to do things last weekend and seemed to be walking very carefully. He could still lift his leg to pee, squat to poo and kick like a mule if you crowded him, but he was definitely off. He wasn't interested in carrying his ball around or chasing it at all so he went back on lockdown. Dr Cooper came on Tuesday and said that he was very tender but it was in a different place than last time She thinks this was a strain from overdoing the playing or jumping. She gave him an adjustment and was able to use the vibrating tool on him for the first time. I can't remember what it's called but it gives a really good adjustment that seems to hold for a long time. My chiro uses one on me and it's awesome.

After she left I took him in the bedroom and he went to sleep and slept for 3 hours. I think he felt much better. Now I'm doing alternating hot and cold packs on his back 3 times a day to keep the inflammation down. He's pretty good about it once we get past the first one.

He's a really hard dog to read. He's very "talky" and makes all sorts of strange sounds. I'm never sure whether it's just him complaining about having stuff done to him or having to be on a leash or whether he's really hurting. It kind of makes me crazy because I'm stressed all the time that something has hurt him even if it's just him turning over and making one of his noises. He yelped when I moved him over on the couch last night and then I got all stressed out but I was able to get some sleep last night. I woke up after I'd been asleep a couple hours and he was sleeping between the DH and I. I took one of his back feet and pushed it up towards his body. He kicked back really hard! That made me feel better because it was a strong kick and I felt like he was doing okay. He was walking much more confidently today so I think he is feeling better.

So if you have any spare please send them his way so he can get back to being His Imperial Darbiness really soon.
    Patrice and the Houston Duo

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

Thanks

Amy, Laika, Owen and Salsa

and Segue

Thanks

Many Many along with lots of love and hugs coming your way.

It seem like things with our pupperare going in a vicioucs circle lately and needs to stop.
    Yolanda and the FurCrew.

" .... It takes a village ....."

Thanks

I know what you mean about talky dogs! You can't tell if something is wrong when they squeak and grunt all the time, even just because they're happy .

Lots of rayz
    Kim & the Girls

With me always, Cassie & Angel

Thanks

Absolutely!
    Hoomom who was blessed with Jack. RIP Sweet Cynda 6/3/10, loving Lexie 9/13/13 and Jack, 3/22/16.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 658 Posts

They're sent to try us, I swear!!!
    Paula & Buster
    & my s Maxe, Alex, Wendal, Jules & James, Patti, Ferkel and Heidi,

"The greatest of all mistakes is to do nothing because you can only do a little. Do what you can."

Thanks

Here's this morning's example of the talky dog. I'm sitting at my desk on the computer, Darby is under the desk. I hear "OOooooOOooooOOO" from under the desk. I think "OMG, something's wrong". I Jump up and look under the desk. Darby is laying there wagging his tail pushing his ball towards me. He's fine. He wants me to throw his ball.

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lotsadox For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Default Darby Dilemma Part II

Darby Rayz from Kentucky, friend. Savannah is getting increasingly talky but I think she's just bossy
    Last edited by Rae; 08-31-2015 at 05:50 PM.
    Her Royal Highness, the Duchess of Wagoner 1993-2012.
    Happiness is a warm puppy ~ Charles M. Schultz
    Named Savannah Jane ~ Rae Wagoner

Thanks

Welcome to my Pixel world. Stress = yes. Laughter = Oh yes!! Lots of Darby rayz.

..POGO....PIXEL.....P’NUT....PEPSI

Thanks

Since he gets really stressed out when we crate him at night, I've been keeping his harness on the tethering him to me. This morning I woke up not tethered to anything and Darby had a stub of leash on the clip on his harness I'm not even sure how he did it because it's cut really close to the harness and really smoothly. Almost like it was done with a knife.

And here's my example of the Kurt/Jim Minimization Syndrome.

Jim: He's getting around pretty well

Me: He is, but he's still awfully hump back

Jim: Well, he's always been kind of hump backed

Me: He has but not nearly that bad

Jim: I think it's the harness that's making him walk that way

Me: (giving up) Maybe

Then I went to get coffee.

I think Darby's gonna be just like Pixel, Lisa. I'm just learning to deal with it and keep him as safe as possible which considering he yelped the other when getting up from sleeping probably isn't all that safe. I just do the best I can.

DREAM Dachshund Rescue