Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Default new here with question

Hi, I just adopted a 4 year old female doxie named Lizzie.
    everything is fine so far except one thing. Lizzie is used to being let out to potty in a fenced in yard.
    since I got her 2 days ago, I bring her out to potty on a leach (I don't have a fenced in yard), and she won't potty or if she does its because I have taken her out for the 5 time and she can't hold it any longer.
    she walks fine on the leach, she just doesn't really want to go while on the leach.

so i'm trying this now :
    I put a spike in the yard with a tie out and I bring her out, put her on it, go sit on my porch and she goes better now. when she's done I go straight away and get her.

my question is, is this ok or should I keep taking her out with the leach myself. I just didn't want her to hold it cause I know that's not good...

Thanks

Hi, welcome to the board! Thank you for adopting your little girl.

Some Doxies can be very difficult to potty train. If you got something that is working - stick with it. Be consistent, and errors in potty judgement should be few and far between.

It is October now, is this going to be an issue in January for you? It doesn't say where you live, so I am not sure if you are in a warm climate or a frozen tundra (like me).

You can also look at an X-pen and put her in that to do her business if you don't like tethering her. But seriously, it is not like you are tethering her and walking away for hours, you are supervising and waiting, so I truly don't see a problem with that.

This is an x-pen (and for some reason, is showing a ridiculously good price right now?!?)

..POGO....PIXEL.....P’NUT....PEPSI

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Lisa For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 658 Posts

Hi! and welcome. Thanks so much for adopting your Lizzie. She's gorgeous!

I think the first thing I'd say is that she's only been with you for a couple of days, and is still trying to figure everything out. It can take a few months for them to settle in. I don't see a problem with you tethering her while you watch. I'm guessing that in her fenced yard she had her favourite spots, and that she used those over and over again. (That's what my dogs do). So on the leash, she's not getting a chance to explore her way (if you know what I mean ). I think Lisa's idea of an x-pen as a temporary fenced yard might do the trick. Or you could make her a small fenced area with chicken wire and garden stakes so that she can be off leash, sniff around a bit, and find her spot(s). It doesn't have to be huge. And above all, when she does potty, make a VERY BIG DEAL out of what a good girl she is...she'll get the idea really quickly, and it'll all be good.

Good luck with her! And keep us posted on how it goes, ok?
    Paula & Buster
    & my s Maxe, Alex, Wendal, Jules & James, Patti, Ferkel and Heidi,

"The greatest of all mistakes is to do nothing because you can only do a little. Do what you can."

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Alex's Mom For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Tried the ex pen. she would jump and cry. so that's when I came up with the tethering idea and she does pretty good. at least she doesn't cry.

and I stay right there with her just far enough that she has her space but close enough that as soon as she does her business, I go get her.

As to the question about weather, i'm in Louisiana but no matter what the temp is, she is NEVER going to be left out there.

Thanks

You will be fine! I am in Canada. January, I wouldn't be able to find a tether under the snow

..POGO....PIXEL.....P’NUT....PEPSI

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Lisa For This Useful Post:

Thanks

thanks to all. I am so glad I found this forum!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 700 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa View Post
    You will be fine! I am in Canada. January, I wouldn't be able to find a tether under the snow
    I can't even imagine how y'all do it in areas where it snows. I have enough trouble getting mine out when it rains. Or if the garage door is shut like the other night when Cash came downstairs late and I had closed the door. He decided the corner of the kitchen cabinet was a good place to pee

BTW, I'm in Houston so by internet standards we're almost neighbors
    Patrice and the Houston Duo

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

Thanks

I think the tethering you are doing is just fine.

When dogs go outside, a couple things can happen. One is that they may walk around a bit to get things moving, or sniff a little to get inspired. The second is that they may walk around a bit, get distracted, and completely forget what you took them outside for. So when you put her on the tether, she will have only a limited space to wander and will hopefully make the connection that she needs to do her business, and then you will leash her and take her on a more enjoyable walk to explore the yard
    Kim & the Girls

With me always, Cassie & Angel

Thanks

omg! I am so frustrated right now!
    I have taken Lizzie out 8 times today and on the tether as before and she will NOT pee!
    she has not peed since last night!
    I KNOW she has to go. why is she doing this now?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 658 Posts

Did this resolve? If not, I'd be taking her to the vet...it could be bladder stones. Other than that, if she won't pee where she usually does, it may be because it's getting too stinky. They can be fussy if it's too smelly too! Keep us posted!
    Paula & Buster
    & my s Maxe, Alex, Wendal, Jules & James, Patti, Ferkel and Heidi,

"The greatest of all mistakes is to do nothing because you can only do a little. Do what you can."