Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Default Has anyone dealt with depression / fear in dogs

This is a tough one for me, but Pogo is off. Physically he seems fine, mentally, he is not himself. Something last Thursday spooked him outside. In the morning he didn't judge the metal sliding door frame and his back foot landed hard, and the same day he stepped on a prickly weed in the back yard. Since then, he has been really fearful of going outside. We have been picking him up and carrying him out, but he is racing back into the house at full force (hence, how I know he is physically fine, he runs super fast).

He also seems mopy, like his confidence is off. And then there are the EIPJ (errors in potty judgement) he doesn't want to go outside, he is going inside. This dog was trained 100% the second week we brought him home, so for him, EIPJ are a big deal.

We are going to put up the pup port today. Hopefully, the change of scenery, will help him. We put a towel down over the metal bars, so he can't hurt himself. But I am wondering if anyone else has ever dealt with something like this?

..POGO....PIXEL.....P’NUT....PEPSI

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 658 Posts

Heidi, who is very timid, gets like that sometimes out the back door. Sometimes cuz a plant is blowing , sometime cuz she hurt herself on something, sometimes for no reason I can see. I just take her out the front door to do her bizness for a bit, and it seems to go away. They're odd little creatures, aren't they!
    Paula & Buster
    & my s Maxe, Alex, Wendal, Jules & James, Patti, Ferkel and Heidi,

"The greatest of all mistakes is to do nothing because you can only do a little. Do what you can."

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Alex's Mom For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 700 Posts

I haven't, Lisa. Poor Pogo. Hopefully, the pup port being up will make things seem different to him and restore his confidence. Sending
    Patrice and the Houston Duo

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

Thanks

My first thought was " ... is his vision OK.." Sounds a lot like my Wetley when he first started going blind.
    Yolanda and the FurCrew.

" .... It takes a village ....."

Thanks

oh, excellent point, Yo. I never thought of that. But it does sound a bit like Wen was until he adjusted (he was never continent, so don't know about that part). He's getting to an age where cataracts are starting to form, LIsa. Worth getting checked out! (Karen, what was that Pippit has?)
    Paula & Buster

"The greatest of all mistakes is to do nothing because you can only do a little. Do what you can."

Thanks

His vision has been on the decline for years. The only reason I wouldn't say this fear is vision related is because he is bolting into the house and he knows when the door is open or closed, and he is running into his crate and not missing it. He can wonder over to the water bowl, comes under my desk without any drama.

IDK, it is quite heartbreaking. I am thinking about asking my Mom to come by tonight or tomorrow. Pogo loves her and a visit might cheer him up.

Thanks

Even so, if something startled him outside, when he couldn't see it, that might do it. They maneuver really well without sight so long as things are left in their place. It could be that not seeing what "bit him" (plant, door jamb) might have thrown him off his game.

Maybe he'll cheer up when he see me !! (6 more sleeps!)
    Paula & Buster

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Alex's Mom For This Useful Post:

Thanks

6 sleeps?!? Let the panic cleaning begin

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lisa For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 700 Posts

Good point, Yo. Miller never really wanted to be outside after his vision got bad. He would go out when I took him out to potty and then right back in. He was never that good with his house training and did get worse when he was older. I don't know if that was a function of vision or just age related. He didn't ever bolt into the house. You could just tell he didn't really like to be outside that much and rarely went out on his own.
    Patrice and the Houston Duo

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa View Post
    6 sleeps?!? Let the panic cleaning begin
    *Pshaw* cleaning! Just so as I have a place to lay my head. Do you want to get in touch with Amy and let her know the timing? (Cuz I have no clue )
    Paula & Buster