Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Patchouli pig

Thanks

Default Patchouli pig

I had Patchouli euthanized Wednesday. She had developed neurological issues this past summer...well, she actually was never quite right, was a sick piglet which is why she was given to me. But she developed what we are quite sure was megaesophagus (it's a neuro condition that affects the ability of the esophagus to allow food to pass through and swallowing) and would choke on her food making it come out her nasal passages and really choke her. These episodes became more frequent and lasted longer...by Wednsday she hadn't eaten since Sunday and it was awful. There is nothing to do to fix it and I could not stand to see her struggling to even breathe smoothly. and she was afraid to even try to eat or drink. and to a pig...eating is a big deal.

her passing was very easy, sweet and peaceful. but I of course am second guessing myself and feeling guilty because I feel relieved more than anything right now. I worried about her all the time.
    the relief is hard to deal with. because she has become so very difficult to take care of...she was very clumsy on her feet and had to be walked in and out cuz there is a ramp she couldn't or wouldn't use any more and she for some reason couldn't use the litter box even though it was only 2-3 inches at the edge and when she'd choke there would be horrible slimey green (from her food) gobs all over and I would be angry although I tried to never take it out on her.
    so I second guess myself even though I KNOW it was horrible for her...beyond horrible.
    I don't miss the pig she had become. the sick one. I miss my smart cute pig that she used to be.
    mostly all this summer she was outside laying in the sun and eating grass. so I felt she was still happy enough. But winter...I did not want to deal with it inside and she got so bad....I dunno. it's such a big responsibility to end something's life and I know I did the right thing but it's so hard still and I miss my pig.
    Amy, Laika, Owen and Salsa

and Segue

Thanks

I'm so sorry, Amy. Doing the right thing is often very difficult. I know. My sympathies. And I understand about feeling guilty about the relief. We are only human, after all. I probably let Lexie live longer than I should have because I didn't want to euthanize her because caring for her was inconvenient for me. Believe me, we understand.
    Last edited by LexieLuvr; 12-05-2015 at 07:49 PM.
    Hoomom who was blessed with Jack. RIP Sweet Cynda 6/3/10, loving Lexie 9/13/13 and Jack, 3/22/16.

Thanks

You did exactly the right thing at exactly the right time...she would have gotten progressively worse with those neurological conditions, and being unable to eat or breathe well, she couldn't have made it much longer anyway.
    Still sucks. A lot. Many hugs to you and thanks for sharing your marvelous pig with us over the years.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
    Kim & the Girls

With me always, Cassie & Angel

4. The Following User Says Thank You to oceangirls For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Kim is right, as usual. Exactly the right thing at exactly the right time. Chouli's quality of life had declined so much... Mercy and compassion are a big part of love, my dear.

Glad she had the time with you that she did, eating and lying in the sun. Try to remember the good times.

(((((Big hug)))))
    Her Royal Highness, the Duchess of Wagoner 1993-2012.
    Happiness is a warm puppy ~ Charles M. Schultz
    Named Savannah Jane ~ Rae Wagoner

Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 700 Posts

I agree. It was the right thing to do. That doesn't make it suck any less. But doing what is right is often not the easy way, it's just what we have to do for the animals we love.
    Patrice and the Houston Duo

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lotsadox For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I am so sorry Amy. My love to you and a speedy journey to the bridge for Patchouli. Seeing her in October, you did the right thing. Without the smallest doubt, you did the right thing...not the easy thing, but the right thing.

..POGO....PIXEL.....P’NUT....PEPSI

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Lisa For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I'm sorry for your loss...the best decisions are the ones that hurt the most.

"It doesn't matter where you go in life, it's the doxies you have beside you!"
    Nicole, Mom of the Doxie Duo

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Two Red Smooth's For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 658 Posts

It is truly an awe-some thing to decide to end a life. Such a hard decision to make. But ITA with Lisa, she was ready to go, I think. Still sucks. A LOT. sometimes I wish they lived backwards, so that you got all the horrible stuff at the beginning and then the good stuff at the end.I often think that's part of what that short period terminally ill beings get just before they cross...so that those left behind are reminded of what used to be. Try not to feel guilty, Amy. she wouldn't have wanted to live like that at all. Godspeed sweet little pig. Til you meet again. (Chouli is why I no longer eat pork )
    Paula & Buster
    & my s Maxe, Alex, Wendal, Jules & James, Patti, Ferkel and Heidi,

"The greatest of all mistakes is to do nothing because you can only do a little. Do what you can."

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alex's Mom For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Default Patchouli pig

I am so so sorry Amy! Hardest decision but best thing you could have done for her. Glad got to meet her! Run free Patchouli!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Angela
    Rusty, Odie & Baxter

Thanks

You did the right thing. Chouli knew she wasn't well and wasn't happy either. Don't feel bad for feeling relief. How many times have we all heard the caretaker of a terminally ill person say the passing of their loved one was a blessing and a relief. When someone we love is ill it is not only they who suffer, and no one, not even a little pig, wants to be a burden to the ones we love.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Red Haired Girl For This Useful Post: