Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 658 Posts

Default When bad news becomes good news!

Ferk's been really worrying me the last while. She's been really quiet, kind of depressed and coughing a LOT! I've been avoiding taking her into see Laura because I was afraid what she'd have to say. And I am just not ready for any goodbyes right now!

However, I finally decided that I couldn't leave it any longer, no matter what the outcome, because it wasn't fair to her. So off we went to see her Acres Aunties today. I dropped her and Heidi off (Heidi to keep her company ) and took Buster for some Mom and me time at the beach, then home to try and finish off this &*^%$#! marking!!! Laura called, and with heart in throat I answered.

Well!!!! Her lungs actually haven't deteriorated since last check...no fluid build-up, which is what I was worrying about, cuz she's horking up stuff (I know, TMI). However, Laura said that both her back legs are in bad shape...LH has a partially torn cruciate and her RH has an extremely sore and swollen stifle ligament. How she did this, I have no idea, but she does have her kamikaze moments between toys and wanting to play with Buster. I hadn't noticed her limping at all, but she had definitely lost the spring in her step. And of course, with both legs owie, it evens out. However, she's on crate rest for a month, or at least no playing or running...restricted movement. She is not thrilled with this, but it's easier than with a back episode.

One little worrying thing though is that a lump I'd noticed under her right armpit may be a problem. Laura noticed it too and is a bit concerned. I figured it was just a swollen lymph gland (she's on so many drugs and supplements that I put it down to that), and it may be. But it might also be a lymphoma, which might have metastasized to her lungs. Laura took x-rays, and is going to read them and call me later. So that it's none of that icky stuff!!!!!!!!!

At any rate, today is NOT the day! And since I'd gotten myself all prepared for the worst, I'm feeling pretty happy right now!
    Paula & Buster
    & my s Maxe, Alex, Wendal, Jules & James, Patti, Ferkel and Heidi,

"The greatest of all mistakes is to do nothing because you can only do a little. Do what you can."

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alex's Mom For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Today not being the day is good news. She's a trouper, and I'm sure if you just wait on her hand and foot, crate rest will be fine, thank you very much.

Rayz for continued improvement.
    Her Royal Highness, the Duchess of Wagoner 1993-2012.
    Happiness is a warm puppy ~ Charles M. Schultz
    Named Savannah Jane ~ Rae Wagoner

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rae For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I not sure about good news, but given how bad the bad news could have been, it is definitely less sucky news.

Wishing you an easy crate rest and wishing Ferk no lymphoma rayz!!

..POGO....PIXEL.....P’NUT....PEPSI

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lisa For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa View Post
    I not sure about good news, but given how bad the bad news could have been, it is definitely less sucky news.

Wishing you an easy crate rest and wishing Ferk no lymphoma rayz!!
    My sentiments exactly! Tons of rayz!
    Hoomom who was blessed with Jack. RIP Sweet Cynda 6/3/10, loving Lexie 9/13/13 and Jack, 3/22/16.

Thanks

Good news!

Thanks

Default When bad news becomes good news!

Great news yes still not so good. Hoping crate rest does good for her and crossing fingers for good X-ray results. Hugs!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Angela
    Rusty, Odie & Baxter

Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 700 Posts

Sending tons of for some even better news!
    Patrice and the Houston Duo

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 658 Posts

Default *update*

Laura and I had a long chat last night re: the X-ray. Her lungs aren't great. Either a diffused tumour, or serious fibrosis. The little air pockets are mostly filled in, which is probably what's causing all the coughing, and some of the exercise intolerance. However, all things considered she amazed at how well she's doing, cuz she shouldn't be. My little miracle dog! She's a lot more concerned about her hind legs. STRICT crate rest / restricted movement. Her heart is actually really good, apart from a slight murmur, but that goes with being an almost 14 year old dachsie . She adjusted some of her supplements, and thinks that the bronchodilator she's been on (theophyline) probably isn't working any more. However, I'm keeping her on it just in case. Can't hurt!

I asked Laura how long she thinks she has, and after a long pause, she figured probably 3 months. but we'll see. She's definitely NOT ready to go yet, and is more annoyed about her back legs not allowing her to do stuff than anything.

She's another Wen...such a little trooper. There are no words to express how much I love this little girl.
    Paula & Buster
    & my s Maxe, Alex, Wendal, Jules & James, Patti, Ferkel and Heidi,

"The greatest of all mistakes is to do nothing because you can only do a little. Do what you can."

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Alex's Mom For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Angela
    Rusty, Odie & Baxter

Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 700 Posts

Awww, such a little trouper. I know what you mean about the heart murmurs. Right now, Darby is my only dog without one. Sending and
    Patrice and the Houston Duo

DREAM Dachshund Rescue