Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Default Kibble suggestions - looking to feed Peaches and Piper a new food

I'm thinking of trying a new kibble for Peaches and Piper. They have been on Wellness Core for a long time. They're going to be 11 & 12 years old this year, and I was wondering if a senior food would be better for them. They have been healthy on the Wellness Core, but they poop a lot. Like more than I think they should. I wonder if a different food would help with that as well.

Please let me know if you have use a kibble that you'd recommend. Trying to narrow down my options. Thanks!!!

Please note: I am not interested in doing raw at all, so please don't even suggest it or try to convince me. I have done it before and know a lot of people love it. It was not good for Peaches' stomach.
    Tanya, Peaches & Piper Man

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 658 Posts

I started Buster on Rayne kibble (in his case, it's the digestive one, but only cuz it's a turkey base, not cuz he's got a tricky tummy). Rayne uses a lot of non-traditional protein sources like kangaroo, which makes it good for dogs with food allergies. Since he's been on it, his coat has become sleek...no other word for it - he was all yeasty and stinky when I got him (they fed him kibbles n bits!), but not any more. A lot less poop too. Rayne is sold in the US, and I highly recommend it. http://www.raynenutrition.com/Default.asp (It ain't particularly cheap, but worth it.) Heidi's having blood work this week to see if her liver's gotten any better, and the low protein food I've got her on has been discontinued. If at all possible, I'm going to switch her to it as well.
    Paula & Buster
    & my s Maxe, Alex, Wendal, Jules & James, Patti, Ferkel and Heidi,

"The greatest of all mistakes is to do nothing because you can only do a little. Do what you can."

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Alex's Mom For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thank you, Paula! I'll look into that for sure. I had not heard of it before.
    Tanya, Peaches & Piper Man

Thanks

The boys have been on Wellness as well! They do great on it. No issues. I wanted to switch them to a senior diet but Wellness doesn't sell their senior small dog food in the stores here in a bag bigger than 4lbs. At least I haven't seen it.

Does anyone feed Solid Gold? Just saw that at the store for the first time. Looked it up on dog food advisor and it's 5 star. I got a sample bag and the boys love it. Also found its a tad cheaper than Wellness. I thought about switching too for a change. They do tend to get tired of eating the same thing all the time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Angela
    Rusty, Odie & Baxter

Thanks

Solid Gold! It's great and has never had a recall. My Heidi was on it for almost 17 years and was very healthy. If you have questions call Solid Gold and ask for Linda.

Thanks

There are a lot of awesome dog foods on the market now. So many more choices! I have always liked solid gold. When I contacted them to see if they made a flax free food (Pogo allergy), their customer service was outstanding. General rule, the more grain free you go, the smaller the poops. Although, I am not sure if that is better? Let us know what you decide on and how you like it.

..POGO....PIXEL.....P’NUT....PEPSI

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lisa For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Default Kibble suggestions - looking to feed Peaches and Piper a new food

Just thought I would share a good deal.

Solid Gold has an online coupon on their website for $7.50 off!

Pet Supplies Plus (don't know what states have one) had the 4lb bag on sale for $9.99 reg $12.98

I got it for $3 :-)

Good way to test if they like it or not. The boys are enjoying the one below.

Even if your store doesn't have it on sale, $7.50 off is a good coupon!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Angela
    Rusty, Odie & Baxter

10. The Following User Says Thank You to RustysMom For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 700 Posts

When I was feeding kibble, I had good luck with Solid Gold's products and fed them for years. I have used Orijen for my "hurricane season" backup. The dogs liked it, but I really didn't fed it enough to know if it was good. I know there are a lot more options now than there used to be. I hope someone else has more information for you.
    Patrice and the Houston Duo

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

Thanks

I wouldn't worry about switching to a senior food, usually senior foods are simply lower calorie/fat/protein versions of whatever the adult food is, which often means less meat content to achieve that. Unless they need lower protein for some reason, you can continue to feed a high quality adult food, and if they need less calories/fat, supplement with green beans or other low cal filler. Some senior foods have omega fatty acids added, or glucosamine/chondroitin, but there's usually not enough in them to be therapeutic, so if you want that, again, better to just add it to a quality base food.

Forgot to add, I've fed Natural Balance and been happy with it. Also Canidae. Tried Wellness for a while too, no complaints. Currently (and for a while now) Bus is eating Health Extension kibble, which is an "off brand" sold by a local pet supply company but has good ingredients and I get it for around $1/lb. A co-worker sometimes give me remnants from her daughter's dog's Acana (she switches varieties every 2 months or so), and he likes that too, though I just mix it in with his regular stuff. For being so little ~13 lbs, he eats a lot of food (upwards of 2 cups a day sometimes, plus scraps), so cost is not a huge factor, but still a consideration.

Good luck in your search

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AnnieBus For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Good post to read....we're looking to switch Clay. Since Rocky passed she does not seem to like any kibble except raw or canned and the husband thinks she needs a bit of variety ( ) I won't fight him on it but it's irritating she's snubbing the kibble now.

"It doesn't matter where you go in life, it's the doxies you have beside you!"
    Nicole, Mom of the Doxie Duo