Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 700 Posts

Default Dog Food reviews from Whole Dog Journal

I got an email today from Whole Dog Journal about some dog foods that appear healthy but aren't. Most people here may already know about these but I thought I'd post the info anyway.

That's why you'll be as shocked as I was, to discover that dozens of today's top-selling brands - names you thought you could trust, like Beneful, Pedigree, Purina and more - may not contain the wholesome, healthy ingredients you want for your dog.

Take Beneful. The package makes it look like manna from heaven with a healthy pup, fresh veggies, and what look like real chunks of meat. Unfortunately, the pictures make the food seem better than it is. The reality is this stuff is AWFUL for your dog. It's full of sugar, artificial colors, and 3 unnamed animal sources. And very little vegetables.

Or look at Kibbles 'n Bits Bistro Meals Grilled Chicken Flavor. If only it contained the grilled chicken they show on the bag instead of loads of low-quality ingredients and "animal digest" - the real source of the chicken flavor.
    Another terrible food is Pedigree Complete Nutrition for Adult Dogs. Made with an inferior, cheap source of protein, it's a wonder it could maintain any dog's health - much less an adult dog's!

And wet foods fare no better than dry.

The label on Alpo Prime Cuts in Gravy Homestyle with Beef makes it look like big pieces of beef covered in gravy. But if this is your dog's dinner, she's getting some of the lowest-quality sources of protein, held together by wheat gluten! Even Iams ProActive Health Chunks is full of by-products that are often linked to all sorts of health problems.

This was also in the email.

Is your dog's food full of used restaurant grease?

When you see "animal fat" on a label - you probably think chicken skins or beef trimmings. But, pet food regulations allow manufacturers to use all sorts of low-quality fats, even USED RESTAURANT GREASE, as generic fat sources. To make sure your dog gets healthier fats, look for labels that use a named species of animal as a source of fat, like chicken fat or duck fat.

What's more, you could be paying for healthy ingredients that aren't even in the bag. For example, because omega-3 fatty acids are so healthy, dog food manufacturers started adding DHA and EPA (highly beneficial fatty acid supplements) to many dry foods. However, they are notoriously fragile and short-lived. Plus, exposure to oxygen makes them turn rancid - and potentially dangerous - very quickly.

You have to be a subscriber (which I am not anymore) to find out which dog foods are best, but at least this gives some clues to what to look for that you don't want.
    Patrice and the Houston Duo

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lotsadox For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I THINK I'm still a subscriber - had issues getting them to send it, they would not respond to my e-mails, then finally started getting it - now they are sending warnings it's about to expire even though I signed up for a year and I've only received 6 months. Not the best customer service. Good publication, though!

Good info, too. Although mine seem to do well on pretty much any food, the same is not true of my mom's dog.
    Kim & the Girls

With me always, Cassie & Angel

Thanks

Of interest, the tide is turning on omega-3 fatty acids for humans. Clinical trial evidence is not supporting the benefits we thought they had.

Diets with lots of fatty fish = still good

Fish oil supplements =

Not sure about dogs, though.
    Kim & the Girls

With me always, Cassie & Angel

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by oceangirls View Post
    Of interest, the tide is turning on omega-3 fatty acids for humans. Clinical trial evidence is not supporting the benefits we thought they had.

Diets with lots of fatty fish = still good

Fish oil supplements =

Not sure about dogs, though.
    Interesting. Sometimes there is so much info out there that I end up totally confused and just try to eat a balanced diet and hope for the best

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lotsadox For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thank's for this information.

Thanks

Good info. Pretty pics on the bag can be very deceiving, plus the untrue statements. Love whole Dog Journal!
    Hoomom who was blessed with Jack. RIP Sweet Cynda 6/3/10, loving Lexie 9/13/13 and Jack, 3/22/16.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LexieLuvr View Post
    Good info. Pretty pics on the bag can be very deceiving, plus the untrue statements. Love whole Dog Journal!
    I do, too! I've used them for years for my food info.

DREAM Dachshund Rescue