Thanks

Default Mitch: the moth eaten carpet dog. UPDATE

He has a skin infection with a secondary yeast infection we have been treating. We went to the vet today for his 2 week check up.
    Pasted from FBook:
    Oh God. Three dogs and Grandma at a crowded vet's office. Kill me now.
    Mitch is "better" but is still not good. We are really trying to NOT put him on an oral anti fungal because it could cause liver problems. in order to do it we would have to do a liver panel and take him off all of his pain medication before and after treatment until his system cleared the anti-fungal. She and I agree that his quality of life would be really compromised without the pain medications so we are going to continue on out course of anti-fungal cream and antibiotics. She also wants us to keep a shirt on him to protect his skin. I put a sweater on him to go to the vet and surprise - he quit scratching. We think it is the pressure which is why he is burying himself under all the covers, they act like a bandage so of course it would feel better! DUH - you would think I would have thought of it before now.

Grandma was having a conniption because a little girl sat down on the floor in front of me and started talking to me about her rabbits. Kids talk to me, why I don't know. I think they are like cats - they instinctively know who doesn't like them so they decide to be around that person She wasn't bothering me, but grandma was not a happy camper. She fussed when we got in the room about the "kid mopping the floor with her behind"! Lol. At 93 she is entitled to her opinion.

It has been 8 more days of this hell. He is not as miserable and his pads have healed. Unfortunately, he is pretty much bald with big patches of blackened skin - it is pigment, not rot - all over his little body. Whatever this is, it has now migrated to his head and ears. He has a patch beside his eye that showed up today which has me worried and I will call the vet in the morning. He had his medicated bath again tonight - every 4 days is bath day - and his hair fell out in clumps. It is so bad he will sit and pull his hair off in sheets.

I believe it started out as a food allergy to some cheap ass crap grandma was feeding to the squirrels. They wouldn't eat it and threw it out of the feeder to the ground, guess who came along and gorged himself day in and day out? The food is 7.00 for a 25 pound bag if that gives you an idea of the quality.

The vet bill is hovering at 400.00 so far. That doesn't include all the anti-fungal cream I have had to buy at minimum 5.00 a tube.

I would post pictures but they are very disturbing to see.
    Last edited by Red Haired Girl; 03-10-2016 at 10:29 PM.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Red Haired Girl For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I am so sorry to hear about Mitch. Hopefully the sweater will help too. Lots and lots of rayz.

The kid and Grandma made me laugh out loud.

..POGO....PIXEL.....P’NUT....PEPSI

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lisa For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Poor Mitch, keep on healing there little guy. Slow is better than not at all!

As for the kid...RIGHT?! They gravitate towards me too and I am always thinking, "Shoo. Shoo! Is that what you say to kids when you want them to go away, or just cats? Shoo kid. G'way kid, ya botha me."

Yeah, not a fan of OPK (other peoples kids).

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to M&M's Mom For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 700 Posts

I"m so sorry Mitch is having problems. I'm glad the tee shirt helps though. Maybe it also works like a thundershirt and calms and reassures him? My friend swears she just puts a tee shirt on her dog and it calms down from the sounds of trucks on the street by their house that used to scare her badly.

I don't blame you about kids. They sometimes tend to gravitate towards me. The worst incident was back in the day when I wore a suit to work. I'm standing in line at Hancock fabric holding a bunch of fabric I was buying wearing peach suit that I had made (I had a bunch of colored suits since I made them all). He's dirty and has obviously been eating a chocolate bar a great deal of which he is wearing on his hands and face. He sees me and starts toward me hands out (Mom is paying no attention). I didn't want him anywhere near my peach suit. It was one of the first incidents of my giving a kid the evil eye. But it worked! I guess he wanted to live. He backed off and went to stand by his mother.
    Patrice and the Houston Duo

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

8. The Following User Says Thank You to lotsadox For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 658 Posts

for the poor moth eaten one...interesting about the sweater! I wonder if there might be a food component to it? Bussy had lost a lot of his hair when I got him, and when I switched foods, it grew back in. Just a thought.

As for the kids thing, ME TOO!!! Get away from me! My brother is a retired teacher, and when we were in Portugal, we were at a restored castle which had a fountain in it. Portuguese kid was busy throwing stones in the water and John wasn't impressed. No sign of the parents...he walked over to him, and just gave him the l@@k. Kid totally got it and slunk away. Some things transcend language . Once a teacher, always a teacher, I guess
    Paula & Buster
    & my s Maxe, Alex, Wendal, Jules & James, Patti, Ferkel and Heidi,

"The greatest of all mistakes is to do nothing because you can only do a little. Do what you can."

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Alex's Mom For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I did discuss his food! They gave been eating Taste of the Wild since it came out. I have had them on the lamb formula because it is what Bailey can eat. She suggested staying with TOTW but choosing a different flavor. He loves the bison so I will grab a bag on the way home today. His hair is growing back on his booty.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Thanks

Lots of for Mitch,
    Hoomom who was blessed with Jack. RIP Sweet Cynda 6/3/10, loving Lexie 9/13/13 and Jack, 3/22/16.

Thanks

More rayz ! Hair on the booty is good. No one likes to have a bald booty.

I was walking on the beach once (this may be why I don't walk on the beach) and stopped to change the music on my mp3, and a kid was magnetically sucked into my kid-averse, generally people-averse, yet apparently irresistible aura (I need to have that damn thing serviced), and started asking me questions, including but not limited to:

Kid: "Do you have kids?"
    Me: "No."
    Kid: "Why not?"
    Me: "Because, um....... (very successfully suppressing fifteen or seventy responses, all of which were not especially kind, life-affirming things to say to a kid) ... because I have dogs."
    Kim & the Girls

With me always, Cassie & Angel

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to oceangirls For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 700 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by oceangirls View Post
    More rayz ! Hair on the booty is good. No one likes to have a bald booty.

I was walking on the beach once (this may be why I don't walk on the beach) and stopped to change the music on my mp3, and a kid was magnetically sucked into my kid-averse, generally people-averse, yet apparently irresistible aura (I need to have that damn thing serviced), and started asking me questions, including but not limited to:

Kid: "Do you have kids?"
    Me: "No."
    Kid: "Why not?"
    Me: "Because, um....... (very successfully suppressing fifteen or seventy responses, all of which were not especially kind, life-affirming things to say to a kid) ... because I have dogs."
    I'm going to remember that one!
    Patrice and the Houston Duo

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

16. The Following User Says Thank You to lotsadox For This Useful Post:

Thanks

No, she didn't buy it, I could tell. I mumbled something and ran away.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
    Kim & the Girls

With me always, Cassie & Angel