Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks

Default Angel rayz? - update, not good

My lovely, easy dog has a few things going on.

I took her in to the vet last summer? fall? because she had lost some weight. Then I determined that when I'd changed their foods, I'd been majorly short-changing her on calories. So I adjusted her intake, and she regained the weight with no problem. But in the process, the vet did labs and noticed her alk phos was a little high. She asked me if Angel was drinking and urinating excessively. She HADN'T been. But then, on cue, she immediately started to . We did a urinalysis and she wasn't concentrating her urine. Vet thought it might be Cushing's. So she was tested for that, but it was negative. Therefore, we concluded maybe early kidney disease, and started a renal diet.

She continued to drink and urinate a lot. We use puppy pads, so not really a big deal except when they're crated. She mostly would do it at night. DH said she would go all day without doing it .

I took her in in February to monitor weight and discuss vaccines, and we happened to see another vet we like. We repeated labs, and he said he still thought it was Cushing's. Her kidney numbers were still normal. He says it can take years to diagnose. (Also possible it could be psychogenic polydipsia... where dogs are compelled to drink for a psychological reason. Angel's a bit neurotic, and it was weird that she didn't drink/piddle around the clock. Usually they drink a lot more, though.).

However, she was thrombocytopenic on labs - platelets 70k (normal is about 170-450k). We'd noticed she bled A LOT when we cut her nails and went a bit too deep. He said monitor her and bring her back in a month or so. She has done fine, no bleeding or bruising. I was hesitating a little to take her back. She hates the vet and I hate to rock her world.

Last night I was petting her and noticed her left submandibular lymph node (on the neck) was kind of firm and enlarged.

I took her in today and fortunately Dr. Spiker was there again. He aspirated the node and will send it for testing... also rechecked her CBC. Neither of us could find any other abnormal lymph nodes on her. He will be out until Monday, but will have Dr. Sermersheim (the other vet I like) call if the results come back before then.

He told me it was just as likely to be an infection or inflammation as it was to be cancer. Angel is happy and bouncy and acting normal. I am pretty sure she does have a broken tooth as I heard her crunch too hard on an antler once - yes, I got rid of those - and she has not been chewing her Nylabones like she used to... and I feel like she's had a little trouble crunching up the hard biscuits lately - like she has to move it around in her mouth and find the best angle. I haven't really pursued dental work with the kidneys versus Cushing's and platelet issues. However, she doesn't have any overt signs of infection. We could use some rayz for her.

As for my fuzzy little Cassie, she is a little trooper. She does not have too much sneezing or reverse sneezing anymore, but I think she pretty much operates with a respiratory tract full of mucus. Her respiratory rate is FAST. Like 40-50 when she's just hanging out, and still a bit over 20 when she sleeps. However, she will outrun my husband when they play chase, and she doesn't pant (or mouth breathe) or act like she struggles for air. She has PLENTY of energy. The vets say her heart murmur is stable. I hand feed her now. With a spoon. Otherwise she tries to swallow and breathe at the same time and chokes. If you've never hand fed a dog with a spoon before, it's seriously pretty cute. She wags her tail between bites .

They'll be 13 next month.

Sorry so long - thanks for reading. I hope all of you and your pups are doing okay. I miss our board and daily updates on everyone's lives .
    Kim & the Girls

With me always, Cassie & Angel

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to oceangirls For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thanks for the update. for all!
    Hoomom who was blessed with Jack. RIP Sweet Cynda 6/3/10, loving Lexie 9/13/13 and Jack, 3/22/16.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to LexieLuvr For This Useful Post:

Thanks

for both of them. You are such a good mom
    Olga
    Remembering my angels Sebastian and Sofie.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to alfina For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 658 Posts

First of all, I suspect that if she's having issues chewing there is an infection brewing in there...my first move would be a full dental check and a course of antibiotics just to see if it takes it down (not necessarily a dental, just a thorough exam). Speaking from experience here with Jules, and Ferk has a lymph gland that goes up and down with alarming regularity....of course, she's rapidly becoing a Mystery Doggie a la Alex *sigh*. Secondly, Cushings can be notoriously hard to diagnoses...Alex was borderline from the age of 6 and we treated symptomatically. Angel might be the same. PUPD is symptomatic of SO many things!!!!! I also seem to remember something about anaemia with one of my guys at some point from similar bloodwork (pernicious anemia, if I remember correctly...so many sick dogs, too many years for my horrific memory ). If Angel is happy and well in herself, I wouldn't be too concerned. Aren't old dogs fun??

I'm really really missing our daily give and take on here too...it's just not the same on FB. I feel like I've lost a whole bunch of my closest friends...feels like a ghost town around here .

Keep us posted, Kim, ok? I worry.....
    Paula & Buster
    & my s Maxe, Alex, Wendal, Jules & James, Patti, Ferkel and Heidi,

"The greatest of all mistakes is to do nothing because you can only do a little. Do what you can."

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Alex's Mom For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Oh Kim! I am so sorry to hear that the Angel is worrying you. Bless her sweet heart. I am sure that you will get right to the bottom of whatever it is, and will get her the very best care. I agree that a dental is lower on the totem pole that your other concerns, but am sure you'll work it in because infections are scary.

Big love to you and the smaller Oceangirls, and to your sweet hubby as well. When our babies aren't well, it's just all bad all the way around. Please do keep us updated.

And I miss the former activity level on DLC, too. Paula nailed it on the "I feel as if I have lost my friends."
    Her Royal Highness, the Duchess of Wagoner 1993-2012.
    Happiness is a warm puppy ~ Charles M. Schultz
    Named Savannah Jane ~ Rae Wagoner

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Rae For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I miss you guys too.

Lots and lots of rayz for Angel, Pogo is my first dog, and I thought us getting old sucks, watching out little ones age is tough. Really, really tough. You are a great mom, I hope the vet figures out Angel's issues soon.

Hugs for her worried Mama.

Maybe one day we can have a throwback Thursday and get everyone to log on and hug it out.

..POGO....PIXEL.....P’NUT....PEPSI

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lisa For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 700 Posts

Poor Angel. Some times it's so hard to diagnose what's really going on with them. Re: what Paula said about teeth and swollen lymph glands. Mine puffed overnight when my tooth abscessed. After the root canal, it was down before I got home so that could be it.

As you know, Cash is 15 and has a heart murmur. It appears to have stabilized but it does figure into everything.

Sending for all of you !

ps: I miss everyone too! With whatever the h*ll is going on with me, I've been a bit isolated and I really missed being able to connect on here with people.
    Patrice and the Houston Duo

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

14. The Following User Says Thank You to lotsadox For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Many Many for Angel! sorry I'm late to seeing this.
    Angela
    Rusty, Odie & Baxter

Thanks

Vet called - cytology is consistent with high-grade lymphoma.
    Kim & the Girls

With me always, Cassie & Angel

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 658 Posts

Oh man, Kim. and all the there are. Will he do a biopsy? We're here, kiddo, no matter what.
    Paula & Buster
    & my s Maxe, Alex, Wendal, Jules & James, Patti, Ferkel and Heidi,

"The greatest of all mistakes is to do nothing because you can only do a little. Do what you can."