Thanks

Lightbulb Why other dogs can't handle milk and dairy products

Just to share, Lance can handle milk and dairy products but Flossy can't. Why is that? So, I've been searching about this matter for an hour and I'd love to share what I learned.

Milk and dairy products contain a type of sugar called lactose which is not really a single sugar. Lactose has two molecules chemically linked. When digesting lactose, it needs to be absorbed properly by splitting it. The dog's body needs a special enzyme called lactase to do the job, one thing that most dogs can't do. It's the same thing as lactose intolerance with human. Some dogs (who are very lucky), can deal with lactose that is why they won't have a problem even if they eat ice cream. While the unfortunate dogs will have loose tools or an upset stomach.

Can your dog deal with lactose?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to louis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 658 Posts

All of my dogs have loved yogurt and ice cream with no problems. But I do know of others who can't tolerate dairy at all (so no cheese! ) Interesting though to find out why. Thanks for this!
    Paula & Buster
    & my s Maxe, Alex, Wendal, Jules & James, Patti, Ferkel and Heidi,

"The greatest of all mistakes is to do nothing because you can only do a little. Do what you can."

Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 700 Posts

My dogs are fine with milk and milk products. I am not. But it's not lactose intolerance. Its something called casein that's in milk that bothers me. I don't know if dogs are sensitive to that or not. Its a bit harder to detect because it doesn't cause stomach upset, it's much more subtle.
    Patrice and the Houston Duo

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

Thanks

Mine do okay with cheese in very small amounts. They also like dairy queen, but I am not sure how much dairy is actually in there.

..POGO....PIXEL.....P’NUT....PEPSI

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Lisa For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Flossy likes cheese so much it's a shame she can't have now. And who can't love ice cream?

Thanks

Interesting thought. Nero loves cheese and she is fine with it. She really doesnt get much ice cream and the last time I offered her milk she walked away and let Norman VonNorman fat cat extrordinaire have it all.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to bittyup For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I just did allergy tests for Theo. Was very surprised with the results..he is allergic to: Milk, rice (yup and he's had tons of it with his tummy issues) beef (shocker), carrots, etc and that is just a few of the things he is allergic too. So no more dairy for Theo..Mika tolerates dairy well..they both love yogourt..

Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 700 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kasianni View Post
    I just did allergy tests for Theo. Was very surprised with the results..he is allergic to: Milk, rice (yup and he's had tons of it with his tummy issues) beef (shocker), carrots, etc and that is just a few of the things he is allergic too. So no more dairy for Theo..Mika tolerates dairy well..they both love yogourt..
    My friend had a dog that had a lot of digestive issues. They found out she was allergic to rice and beef also. As long as she had chicken for her protein source and no rice she did really well.
    Patrice and the Houston Duo

DREAM Dachshund Rescue