Thanks

Default Sebastian's annual

So, he is another year older (12 now) and I noticed he definitely slowed down lately. We did blood work prior to his February dental cleaning, so we did not repeat that. But Dr Lantry's exact words when she came in were "He did age drastically" . He has cataracts in both eyes, but he can still see as he usually tracks me with his eyes when I move around the house. He has been having recurrent yeast ear infections despite repeat treatments, so I am going to start using medicated ear cleaner for him. He gained 2 lbs since last check in February (thanks to my parents who swore they weren't feeding him extra). And he has bad breath already since the dental just 4 months ago. His teeth do not look infected, it is probably coming from the gut she thought. He was making grunting noises and she felt his stomach. I am hoping that now that his diet is more controlled he will recover from tummy issues and loose some weight. He is moving less lately, so I have been taking him for laser treatments every 2 weeks. It usually perks him up. He got his shots and is now sleeping .
    Olga
    Remembering my angels Sebastian and Sofie.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 700 Posts

As hard as it is for us to watch, we can't stop the aging process. It sounds like Sebastian is doing fairly well for his age. The last blood work Cash had was in March and his liver enzymes were slightly elevated but everything else was fine. My vet commented that for almost 16 that was really good. His vision is pretty good but he's fairly deaf. Cash's breath was horrible. At almost 16 with a heart murmur a dental just isn't going to happen so I started using Leba III on him. It's helped a lot so his is probably his teeth.

Scooter is past 11 now and slowed down a lot, too. Other than that, he's doing really well, but he is a mix and has always been the healthiest dog I've ever owned.

I hope Sebastian keeps going strong for a while yet. I just love seniors but they can be a trial.
    Patrice and the Houston Duo

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

3. The Following User Says Thank You to lotsadox For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Watching them grow old really sucks!
    Hoomom who was blessed with Jack. RIP Sweet Cynda 6/3/10, loving Lexie 9/13/13 and Jack, 3/22/16.

Thanks

Mine at 13 still act like puppies, but are much calmer overall. They've never HAD to be really active, so it's hard to tell. 2lb is a pretty large amount for a little dog (ah, grandparents ), so he might feel a little more energetic once he gets that off.
    Kim & the Girls

With me always, Cassie & Angel

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to oceangirls For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 658 Posts

Yup, old dogs. *sigh* No matter how much we think we're prepared for it, it still comes as a shock to see them slowing down. All in all, it sounds like he's doing ok.
    Paula & Buster
    & my s Maxe, Alex, Wendal, Jules & James, Patti, Ferkel and Heidi,

"The greatest of all mistakes is to do nothing because you can only do a little. Do what you can."

Thanks

I don't like it too but we know there's nothing we can do about it! Hope dogs and we, can live forever.

Thanks

Watching them get older is hard, but it totally beats the alternative. For his age, he sounds like he is right on track. Funny how dogs have some things and other dogs in the same house, with the same food have totally different things going on.

Pogo has always had anal glands issues and allergies. Pixel always had ear gunk and teeth plaque that seems to form on a second by second basis.

the weight comes off of him fast and he perks up a bit.

..POGO....PIXEL.....P’NUT....PEPSI

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Lisa For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Getting older really hurts big time and sadly we all seem to have older pupers.

Hugs
    Yolanda and the FurCrew.

" .... It takes a village ....."