Thread: Egg shells

Thanks

Default Egg shells

Is egg shell really safe for dogs to consume? I have read some blogs confirming that it is indeed safe, that they fed their pooches raw eggs together with the shell. I somethings feed my doxies hard boiled eggs at most twice a week but I never fed them raw eggs or the shell. I'd like to know what you think guys.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 700 Posts

i haven't ever fed my dogs egg shells but I wouldn't have a problem doing so. They are a great source of calcium. You may find a lot of people that think they are bad for dogs, but there is a lot of out dated information out there concerning nutrition in dogs. People, too.
    Patrice and the Houston Duo

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 658 Posts

I don't know that I'd feed them raw eggs, but egg shells maybe. There are other sources of calcium though...yogurt for instance, or even bone meal (not for gardens, but human grade).
    Paula & Buster
    & my s Maxe, Alex, Wendal, Jules & James, Patti, Ferkel and Heidi,

"The greatest of all mistakes is to do nothing because you can only do a little. Do what you can."

Thanks

I grind up my egg shells to a powder and put it in their food as their source of calcium. You have to be very careful with calcium (and egg shell are the highest source). it throws off other important values and also affects how other nutrients are absorbed. Safe yes, but do your research.

Egg whites raw are not good for dogs. Biotin deficiency can be dangerous.. I always add boiling water to my eggs when I make my food to reduce the issue.

..POGO....PIXEL.....P’NUT....PEPSI

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lisa For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 700 Posts

Good info. Thanks, Lisa.
    Patrice and the Houston Duo

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa View Post
    I grind up my egg shells to a powder and put it in their food as their source of calcium. You have to be very careful with calcium (and egg shell are the highest source). it throws off other important values and also affects how other nutrients are absorbed. Safe yes, but do your research.

Egg whites raw are not good for dogs. Biotin deficiency can be dangerous.. I always add boiling water to my eggs when I make my food to reduce the issue.
    How much of egg shell powder do you usually put in one meal?

Thanks

I don't feed commercial dog food which would have enough calcium. I also don't feed prey raw, which would have enough calcium from the bones. I make my own dog food. The food makes enough for 2 + weeks and I put in 2 tablespoons over the entire batch of food, so IDK, maybe one sixteenth of a teaspoon per day, maybe less. Supplementing a dog's diet with too much calcium or phosphorus can increase its susceptibility to diseases. Calcium, phosphorus and vitamin D all work together to form a balance. If you do not have a reason to supplement (meaning your dog has been tested for calcium level and came back low) don't supplement.

..POGO....PIXEL.....P’NUT....PEPSI

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lisa For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa View Post
    I don't feed commercial dog food which would have enough calcium. I also don't feed prey raw, which would have enough calcium from the bones. I make my own dog food. The food makes enough for 2 + weeks and I put in 2 tablespoons over the entire batch of food, so IDK, maybe one sixteenth of a teaspoon per day, maybe less. Supplementing a dog's diet with too much calcium or phosphorus can increase its susceptibility to diseases. Calcium, phosphorus and vitamin D all work together to form a balance. If you do not have a reason to supplement (meaning your dog has been tested for calcium level and came back low) don't supplement.
    Thanks Lisa for this useful information.