Hybrid View

Thanks

Default My a peanut is in pain

Peanut has seen neuro who just put her on crate rest and gabapentin. A week later and she stil is in pain. Called emergency and they added tramadol. Any advice. I am a wreck.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 700 Posts

Is it Peanut's back that's hurting? If it's his/her back, it can take 6 weeks or more to heal and Peanut will need to be on strict crate rest all that time. I know its a long time but it can work miracles. I had a 15 year old who was down and came completely back to where he could even run with crate rest.
    Patrice and the Houston Duo

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

Thanks

Neuro said it was her back. I was on this board years ago with my other Doxie Angel. Peanut is 4 years old. It is just they gave her no steroid only pain meds and crate rest. She seemed to be getting a bit better but this morning we had set back with her waking with pain. Neuro not in till tomorrow but the specialty hospital emergency said to add tramadol to gabapentin. She is more restful but I am worried is this a setback or just the normal course of recovery. I was fortunate with Angel, no back issues.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 700 Posts

I've used steroids on the dogs and not used steroids. Personally, if they can get by without the steroids, I'd rather they did. Steroids are extremely hard on dogs so I avoid them if at all possible. As long as she's quiet, I'd just go with it and see what happens.

I know how stressful it is. I adopted Darby in 2014 after losing Miller and he had back problems after only a few months. He was NOT good on crate rest. Very upset and stressed so I had to keep him restricted and quiet anyway I could. But it worked. With chiro every 6 weeks, he hasn't had a recurrence since then.
    Patrice and the Houston Duo

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

Thanks

Thank you. Peanut is also a fearful dog. Has a hard time around people other than the family. How does a chiropractor work on these dogs. She is a sweetheart and I want to do everything possible.

Can they have a setback day even though they are being crated?

Thanks

Petunia went Down DEC 18, last year and the first thing we did is put her on Prednisone, Tramadol and started her on the adequan injections...also crates rest and a week later we started her acupuncture, later the acupuncturist added gapabentine to her meds.......she was fine by the 6th week
    Mom to Gunner and Petunia.
    Always in out hearts--Sir Cedric Waggles-bassett hound