Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 700 Posts

Default Darby is on Strike!

In very un-dachshund fashion, Darby has decided he's not going to eat the kibble I've been giving them for treats. And, if he doesn't get a real treat, he's not going in his crate.

I always buy a small bag of kibble before hurricane season just in case our electric is out and I can't keep the frozen food cold enough. Then at the end of hurricane season, I feed it to the dogs for treats. Mr. Darby has decided that kibble is not a treat and he's not going in his crate without a treat. So every morning when I get ready to leave, he lays on the bed and won't get off. Then I get the leash to put it on him and get him off and he VERY RELUCTANTLY gets off the bed, but won't get in his crate until I push his butt in. Sometimes he even tries to turn away and bolt! If I get the regular Real Meat treats out, he goes right in. Back to kibble, he won't go in. Cash and Scooter think its a great deal because he doesn't eat his treats so they do!

I've decided I'm going to cut down on his regular meals and maybe if he's hungrier, he'll eat them better. Little snot!
    Patrice and the Houston Duo

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 658 Posts

Dachsies ain't no fools !! Me, I'd just give in and give him the treats just to avoid a scene .
    Paula & Buster
    & my s Maxe, Alex, Wendal, Jules & James, Patti, Ferkel and Heidi,

"The greatest of all mistakes is to do nothing because you can only do a little. Do what you can."

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alex's Mom For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Yep, smart dog!
    Hoomom who was blessed with Jack. RIP Sweet Cynda 6/3/10, loving Lexie 9/13/13 and Jack, 3/22/16.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Alex's Mom View Post
    Dachsies ain't no fools !! Me, I'd just give in and give him the treats just to avoid a scene .
    Darby is a bit, um, dominant? Or would like to be. I'm afraid if I give into him too much, he'll be running the whole house. LOL

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

Thanks

Mine get kibble treats too They have never said no though. That seems really weird. Like Paula, I would just give in and give him what works.

..POGO....PIXEL.....P’NUT....PEPSI

Thanks

This is just too funny. Darby is a smart boy. Nero is a picky one as well. Good luck.

Thanks

He is smart. I think sometimes he's too smart.

Now, he sometimes eats the kibble when I put him in his crate, but sometimes he doesn't and just keeps it. Then when I come home and let the dogs out, I let Cash out before Darby and Darby hops out of his crate, sees Cash and turns around and eats his kibble so Cash can't get it.

DREAM Dachshund Rescue