Thread: Darby's Toenail

Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 700 Posts

Default Darby's Toenail

Last night we were playing some Darby-ball upstairs. Suddenly, Darby was limping and as I got up to go rub his leg (I thought he'd just turned it wrong because he hadn't done anything except run after the ball) I realized he was bleeding, too. Jim got him up on his lap so I could look at it. With all the whining and squirming and fussing, I could just see enough to know that the nail was pulled up at a not-very-normal angle and bleeding. We finally got a bandage on it. I put some gauze around it trying not to touch the nail itself and then sacrificed one of my orphan socks to put over it. We put plastic over that so he could go outside and pee since its been raining and wet here. Amazingly, he left it on all night. I'm going to call Dr. C in a few minutes and talk to her about it. I think I may be taking him to the vet near here since I'm not totally sure I'm up to being able to hold him for Dr. C to bandage it. I'll see what she thinks. Until then, I'm just keeping an eye on him so he doesn't rip the bandage off. So far, so good!

Edit: I just talked to Dr. C. She said that since he's not messing with it, it's probably not bothering him so, for now, we're going to just watch him and see how it goes. I need to go to the post office and the office today so Darby may get to be an office dog today!
    Patrice and the Houston Duo

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

Thanks

Ouch! Those suckers can bleed and bleed too. I am very impressed he is not messing with it.

Lots of toerayz for Darby.

..POGO....PIXEL.....P’NUT....PEPSI

Thanks

I was, too, Lisa. He did take the plastic bag off the bandage and go outside and get it dirty while I was taking a shower. And then took the bandage off at the office. But it doesn't seem to be bothering him so I'm not too worried about it. From the looks of it, he's going to lose the nail, but Dr C says it will grow back.

I have to wash Jim's t shirt and shorts. With all the whining, fussing and squirming Darby was doing Jim ended up looking like he'd been in a fight. And, maybe, didn't come out too well. His shorts and t shirt were both all spotted and smeared with Darby blood.

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 658 Posts

Owwww!!! Poor Darby...and poor Jim. I can just see it Glad it's not bothering him. Tons of and a or two. Hopefully it'll not need any more vet care!
    Paula & Buster
    & my s Maxe, Alex, Wendal, Jules & James, Patti, Ferkel and Heidi,

"The greatest of all mistakes is to do nothing because you can only do a little. Do what you can."

Thanks

It appears that the toenail came off some time in the night. It didn't bleed or anything. I just went to look at it this morning and the nail was gone. It doesn't seem to be bothering him at all so he's good to go

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

Thanks

Glad all seems to be well. More from Hawaii.
    Hoomom who was blessed with Jack. RIP Sweet Cynda 6/3/10, loving Lexie 9/13/13 and Jack, 3/22/16.