Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 700 Posts

Default Do You Monitor Your Dogs Crates?

My dogs each have their own crate. Darby has always tried to use Cash's crate and Cash won't go in when he's in there but also won't use another crate. Mostly I just let them settle their own disputes, but it's getting to where Cash is very cranky and at the same time not as able as he used to be so I've started making Darby get out of Cash's crate and get in his own to nap. How does everyone else handle this? Do you just let them work it out or do you make them use their own crates?
    Patrice and the Houston Duo

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

Thanks

Well...it's complicated.

Dinner is 100% in separate crates. However, after dinner Pixel has to lick Pogo's house. We don't know why, but it's his thing. He is quite insistent. So we do let him go in. It tends to make Pogo leave.

For naps, they don't sleep in their crates, they sleep in other spots. I think if a dog wasn't happy about someone in their crate though, I would not allow others into it. It is their den of safety and I wouldn't push it. Reminds me of my sister trying to get into my room when I was a teen I was quite grumpy about it.

..POGO....PIXEL.....P’NUT....PEPSI

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 658 Posts

Of absolutely no use to you cuz I don't crate my guys unless they're sick. There's no flipping place to put a crate in this stupid unit anyway! But I'd echo what Lisa said...esp. when they're old, and that's his own space. Their tolerance decreases as they age, I've found .
    Paula & Buster
    & my s Maxe, Alex, Wendal, Jules & James, Patti, Ferkel and Heidi,

"The greatest of all mistakes is to do nothing because you can only do a little. Do what you can."

Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 700 Posts

That's kind of what I'm thinking, Lisa. My dogs tend to do things just to annoy the other and I think Darby is only going in Cash's crate to bug Cash which probably isn't a good idea with as cranky as Cash is lately. I'm thinking just making Darby stay out of his crate is best. It usually only happens in the mornings when I'm in the study on the computer so it's pretty easy to watch.
    Patrice and the Houston Duo

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

Thanks

My furbabies are only in the crate when no one is home and they share a crate. Milo was a wreck until I started crating them together. Now he's happy and Maisy is pretty easy going.