Thanks

Default I, Sabannah, am fixing to run like da WIND

Until it starts beepin. Den I will STAHP.

Mom here. Thinking about getting a wireless perimeter system so Wild Child can run.

Looking at PetSafe, and if I get one I'll set it up to reach just the back yard. It comes with flags to show her the perimeter.

Thoughts? Reviews? A truly fenced yard isn't going to happen, so that's not a viable solution.

She's smart as all get out, and I think she will be a fast learner. Never unsupervised, because, well, SavannahJane NaughtyDog!
    Her Royal Highness, the Duchess of Wagoner 1993-2012.
    Happiness is a warm puppy ~ Charles M. Schultz
    Named Savannah Jane ~ Rae Wagoner

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 658 Posts

Nope nope nopity nope. E-fences are problematic on so many levels, not least the electric shock. If she's chasing something and goes across it, there's a better than good chance she'll be too afraid to cross it to come back in. And it ain't going to keep any critters out that can harm her, or that she'll chase. Here's a really good article, based in academic research, which lays out the pros and cons really well. http://dogtime.com/dog-health/genera...e-podolsky-faq

(Can't you even fence off a little piece of it? Doesn't have to be anything permanent...my fence is just that wire garden edging with chicken wire strung along it. Works just fine.)
    Paula & Buster
    & my s Maxe, Alex, Wendal, Jules & James, Patti, Ferkel and Heidi,

"The greatest of all mistakes is to do nothing because you can only do a little. Do what you can."

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Alex's Mom For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 700 Posts

I agree with Paula. Not a good idea for the reasons Paula stated. I agree with just fencing off a small area. Even temporarily.
    Patrice and the Houston Duo

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

5. The Following User Says Thank You to lotsadox For This Useful Post:

Thanks

If I had a super awesome property like yours, I would probably be more inclined to work on a good recall and make it a game. Or I would get this. 50ft is a lot of freedom for a little girl, but, mom is still on the other end.

My opinion, from the lady who lost a dog, once they get the mentality that something is worth chasing, or running from, the odds of a low power shock stopping them wouldn't be very high, especially from a breed that is not famous for their obedience. They are bred to hunt and I think that instinct would over-ride the negativity of the zap. That look they get when they are hunting or fearful is very intense.

At the end of the day, you are her Mom and it is your decision to make. I would also try one on your wrist and zap yourself at the lowest setting and the highest and see how comfortable you are putting that on her...and if the answer is very comfortable, that is fine...but you should know the potential pain level you are inflicting. If you do go that route, I would HIGHLY recommend also putting a GPS tracker on her as a back-up to the fence. Here. I am sure there are others, check the reviews for the best.

..POGO....PIXEL.....P’NUT....PEPSI

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Lisa For This Useful Post:

Thanks

There is also 100ft leash that they sell. I don't even think from the road to the very back of my yard is 100ft. wow.

..POGO....PIXEL.....P’NUT....PEPSI

Thanks

I'm not a fan of the electric fence SJ is smart ....and I had a friend whose dog was very smart...the dog unplugged it! The dog now lives on a few acres with friends of the family.

I like Lisa's idea and look you could even get Sutton to do this. http://joeynovak.com/blog/ingenuity/...te-dog-anchor/ I was looking for the large cement anchor we have (I bought while our back yard fence was being redone and can't find it anymore). I don't use it but have it if I find the occasional stray I can tie up and hold in the yard (and hope the owner sees it).

"It doesn't matter where you go in life, it's the doxies you have beside you!"
    Nicole, Mom of the Doxie Duo

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Two Red Smooth's For This Useful Post: