Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 700 Posts

Default Follow Up to Crate Monitoring

I guess that Cash decided to take things into his own paws with the situation with Darby getting in his crate in the mornings to nap. This week I was getting their breakfast ready and, of course, no one was in the kitchen. They were in the crates waiting for their food as normal. When I took the dishes in to put them in the crates, Scooter was in his crate waiting so I gave him his dish, then when in the study to put Cash and Darby's dishes in their crates which sit next to each other in the study. I look in Cash's crate and there's NO dog. I see Darby trying to get in his crate but he's having trouble because right in the middle of the doorway to Darby's crate is Cash sitting there waiting for his breakfast!

It was really hard to get Cash out of Darby's crate and into his own. My dogs know that you don't get your food unless you're in the crate so he wasn't getting out of that crate for fear he wouldn't get his food. Aaaaah, life with dogs.
    Patrice and the Houston Duo

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

Thanks

That happened once with Pixel, I guess Pogo wasn't having it and realized he bro wasn't the sharpest tool so Pogo got out of his house and jumped into Pixel. Heaven forbid if Pogo was going to be delayed having dinner

..POGO....PIXEL.....P’NUT....PEPSI

Thanks

That's pretty much Cash. Don't get between him and food!

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 658 Posts

Let confusion reign!!! I don't do the crate thing, but everyone has their allotted space for meals. Bussy has to be gated into the bathroom to eat (have I mentioned how much I dislike open concept houses??? ) because it takes Ferk a good 10 minutes to finish her food and he'd be pushing her out of the way and chowing down. Heidi always has to have a sniff at Ferk's dish before I shoo her out of the way to her spot with her depressing kibble floating in water . They're pretty good about not getting in each other's way because like your guys, Patrice, they know no one's getting fed til they're in place!!
    Paula & Buster
    & my s Maxe, Alex, Wendal, Jules & James, Patti, Ferkel and Heidi,

"The greatest of all mistakes is to do nothing because you can only do a little. Do what you can."

Thanks

I started feeding mine in crates when I had 5. Everyone was trying to eat fast and then get someone else's food. I had Cash shut in the laundry room, Bandit in the kitchen, someone was in the study and I watched the other two. It was just easier to put everyone in their crate and not have to worry about them eating each other's food or getting in a fight. I just continued it. Now I don't shut the crates and everyone plays fair, although they go have to go around the lick out the others dishes just in case there's a morsel left over When I get a new dog, they are always locked in their crate to eat until they know the rules. It just makes it easier for me.

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

6. The Following User Says Thank You to lotsadox For This Useful Post: