Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sick Scooter

Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 700 Posts

Default Sick Scooter

Sorry I haven't posted about this, but I've been really sick, too. Poor Scooter started throwing up at the end of last week. It was mostly liquid so I didn't worry too much. He didn't want to eat, so I got some okra pepsin down him and waited. He seemed a bit better, but not really good. I gave him a day and he didn't seem much better. Still threw up a bit. Over the weekend, I came down with one of my industrial strength UTI's. On Monday, I called Dr Cooper. She was tied up most of the day but recommended that I watch him and see how he does. So I was trying to see if things were moving thru or what was up which I think freaked Scooter out because my dogs are not used to us going out with them when they potty. They just use the doggie door. He kept looking at me like "Why are you out here??? Go away!" I finally did see him potty a bit which is probably all there was since he hadn't eaten much. I had done the 24 hour fast and so I started feeding him broth which he mostly kept down. I was talking to Dr Cooper twice a day to let her know how he was doing. I fed him the leftover boiled chicken from the broth for a meal and he mostly kept that down. Then I fed him cooked hamburger and he kept that down completely. When he hadn't thrown up for 24 hours we decided to give him another 24 on just the hamburger and then transition him to his regular food gradually. Yesterday for the first time since last week, he was actually eating well and came to the kitchen looking for more He was pretty happy that he was getting fed 3 or 4 times a day. Darby was not He'd look at me like "Hey! Why does he get lunch and I don't????" so I'd have to give him a little piece. Yes, my dogs are spoiled.

Scooter was much perkier this morning so I think he's on his way to being "scootie" again.

And me. Well, I made the mistake of going to the Walgreens clinic on Monday. They gave me an antibiotic. By Wednesday, I was actually feeling worse so I went to my regular doctor. I saw another doctor in her practice who I really liked so I may go to her from now on. I haven't decided yet. But she did a culture and got me a different antibiotic. When I left the office, her nurse told me that they would do a culture and contact me in the next 24 hours so I was looking forward to another night of taking that Azo stuff just to be able to sleep and being in a lot of pain. I was at home that afternoon and when I checked my email there was one from Walgreens saying that my prescription was ready so I went and picked it up right away. I took it at 3:00 pm and was feeling better by 6:00. I'm feeling pretty good today so I'm hoping to feel better by the weekend.

It looks like Scoots and I are on our way back to being healthy (Just heard Scooter barking at something outside. What an awesome sound. )
    Patrice and the Houston Duo

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

2. The Following User Says Thank You to lotsadox For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 658 Posts

Aw, poor both of you!!!! So worrying when gastric things linger. Glad you're also both doing better but here's a bunch of extra for insurance! (It is simply not possible to feed one without feed the others in my house...there WILL be retribution if I don't )
    Paula & Buster
    & my s Maxe, Alex, Wendal, Jules & James, Patti, Ferkel and Heidi,

"The greatest of all mistakes is to do nothing because you can only do a little. Do what you can."

Thanks

Good news! Extra for good measure.
    Hoomom who was blessed with Jack. RIP Sweet Cynda 6/3/10, loving Lexie 9/13/13 and Jack, 3/22/16.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Alex's Mom View Post
    Aw, poor both of you!!!! So worrying when gastric things linger. Glad you're also both doing better but here's a bunch of extra for insurance! (It is simply not possible to feed one without feed the others in my house...there WILL be retribution if I don't )
    Definitely! I have had to give Cash and Darby a little bit. But they still look at me like "He has a whole bowl!"

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

Thanks

Late rayz to both of you!

It is so weird, I tell mine to shut the f up 100 x a day, but when they are not feeling well and not barking, I hate it.

Glad you are both on the mend. I know it is hard to fast them for 24 hours, but that really seems to be the one thing that works to let the digestive tract heal.

..POGO....PIXEL.....P’NUT....PEPSI

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa View Post
    Late rayz to both of you!

It is so weird, I tell mine to shut the f up 100 x a day, but when they are not feeling well and not barking, I hate it.

Glad you are both on the mend. I know it is hard to fast them for 24 hours, but that really seems to be the one thing that works to let the digestive tract heal.
    I know, Lisa. He wasn't so sick that he quit barking completely, but he wasn't as barky as usual and I did miss it.

Fasting him was the first thing I did. 24 hours and then just broth. It wasn't that hard because he wouldn't eat much anyway and didn't keep it down. I got really worried after the first 3 days. Dr. Cooper said she was a bit worried, too. Bad Scooter for scaring us all!

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

Thanks

Aaarrrgggghhhhh!!! Scooter was doing so well yesterday and this morning, he didn't want his PB. Jim gave him some pieces of steak after dinner before I could stop him. I don't know if that didn't agree with him but now, he's not feeling well. He had a pretty normal poo this morning. It was soft but not diarrhea. Its Jim's grandmother's funeral today but I'm going to stay home. I'm just starting to feel better and not really up to driving up to the country and having to bring my own food because there will be NOTHING I can eat there so I'm just going to stay home with my Scoots and hope he's feeling better in a while.

If you have any extra , please send them to my Scoots.

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

Thanks

Is there a Scoot-a-mute update? Worried about the big boy.
    Her Royal Highness, the Duchess of Wagoner 1993-2012.
    Happiness is a warm puppy ~ Charles M. Schultz
    Named Savannah Jane ~ Rae Wagoner

Thanks

How are you both doing?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

..POGO....PIXEL.....P’NUT....PEPSI

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 658 Posts

How on earth did I miss this???? Update please! Tons of and Sorry to hear about Jim's grandmother
    Paula & Buster
    & my s Maxe, Alex, Wendal, Jules & James, Patti, Ferkel and Heidi,

"The greatest of all mistakes is to do nothing because you can only do a little. Do what you can."