Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 700 Posts

Default Grumpy Old Man - Updated

Cash is turning into a totally grumpy old man. He's been getting increasingly snappy about things. Mostly anything he doesn't like or want at the moment. Last week Dr C came to do VOM on their backs and Cash snapped at her when she tried to take his temperature in this ear! He's never snapped at her before. We ended up having to muzzle him so she could work on him. He snapped at me the other day, too. I went upstairs when I was home for lunch. Sleeping upstairs in my sewing room is his all time favorite thing to do. He went upstairs with me and went to sleep. When I was ready to come downstairs, he wouldn't get up so I could pick him up. I was trying to nudge him a bit and get him up (he snaps at you if you try to put your hands under him to pick him up sometimes) and he turned around and snapped at me. I ended up, making a muzzle out of a bandana so I could get him downstairs without getting bitten.

I think the other dogs are leary of him, too. Sunday I was in the sewing room and Darby was laying on a blanket. Cash went over and was sniffing him and Darby was laying really still looking at me and whining! I probably shouldn't have laughed, but it was a bit wimpy of Darby.
    Last edited by lotsadox; 06-27-2017 at 08:38 AM.
    Patrice and the Houston Duo

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

Thanks

That sux. Sorry to hear about that. I get grunpy too at times.
    Hoomom who was blessed with Jack. RIP Sweet Cynda 6/3/10, loving Lexie 9/13/13 and Jack, 3/22/16.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 658 Posts

Poor old man...I wonder if it's changes in hearing or seeing? Or a pain response. Ferk does that too when her shoulders are feeling pretty owie. What did Dr. C say about it?
    Paula & Buster
    & my s Maxe, Alex, Wendal, Jules & James, Patti, Ferkel and Heidi,

"The greatest of all mistakes is to do nothing because you can only do a little. Do what you can."

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Alex's Mom View Post
    Poor old man...I wonder if it's changes in hearing or seeing? Or a pain response. Ferk does that too when her shoulders are feeling pretty owie. What did Dr. C say about it?
    She said he didn't appear to be in any pain. She was out last week to do their backs and everything seemed fine. He's slowly losing his hearing and sight but I"m thinking this is more just "I'm old, I can do what I want" because when I got after him and put a muzzle on him to pick him up so I ddin't get bitten he seemed to be better about it after that.

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

Thanks

He sounds like Mitch's brother from another mother!

Thanks

Hmm, this is interesting. Pogo used to be such an ass. Like a total, ass. Since he lost his sight and got older, he is a really sweetie now. He can hear and we usually alert him to what we are going to do, he was even good with the vet on Satur.......oh never mind, he is still an ass

It is smart you muzzle him right away and don't take his crap. It is always better to keep you and him safe. Love to your grumpy old man, from my grumpy old man.

..POGO....PIXEL.....P’NUT....PEPSI

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Lisa For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa View Post
    Hmm, this is interesting. Pogo used to be such an ass. Like a total, ass. Since he lost his sight and got older, he is a really sweetie now. He can hear and we usually alert him to what we are going to do, he was even good with the vet on Satur.......oh never mind, he is still an ass

It is smart you muzzle him right away and don't take his crap. It is always better to keep you and him safe. Love to your grumpy old man, from my grumpy old man.
    I always found it interesting that Miller was always a very fearful, somewhat snappy dog until he went mostly blind and deaf. Then he was much calmer and really sweet. He wasn't snappy any more and one Halloween he even stayed downstairs with me when I did the Trick or Treaters and didn't freak out about them at all. Cash has been getting grumpier for the last 6 or 7 years. We used to take him to car shows with us and he was a doll. Then he started getting snappy and snapped at a kid he knew for no reason so we couldn't take him with us anymore. It seems to be sort of random depending on his mood, I guess.

I'd rather muzzle him than have him bite me. BTDT. Not fun

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

9. The Following User Says Thank You to lotsadox For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Well, it appears that the Grumpy Old Man was possibly hurting a bit. While Dr C didn't seem to find any soreness when she adjusted him, he has been a bit less grumpy since then. He's still growling at the other dogs, but hasn't snapped at James or me since the adjustment. That doesn't help poor Scooter and Darby, but it is easier for James and me.

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lotsadox For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Happy to hear the adjustment helped!

..POGO....PIXEL.....P’NUT....PEPSI

Thanks

Glad he's somewhat better!
    Hoomom who was blessed with Jack. RIP Sweet Cynda 6/3/10, loving Lexie 9/13/13 and Jack, 3/22/16.