Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Pixel is deaf

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Brampton, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    22,698
    Thanks
    1,030
    Thanked 660 Times in 410 Posts

    Default Pixel is deaf

    Pixel went on Mometamax on July 27th for a 10 day treatment for a severe ear infection. He went off the drug on Saturday and by August 7th (Monday) he is totally deaf in both ears. He has no damage to his ear drum and the drugs completely cleaned up all the goop, but yeah....

    Our vet put in an adverse drug reaction form and Merck called him right back. So there is a 0.005% chance it can cause deafness and of that there is an 85% chance Pixel's hearing will come back in 4 - 6 weeks. So here is hoping he doesn't fall into the 15% of 0.005% category.

    Seriously. , this year has been so rough with doggie medical stuff. Pixel did adjust really well. No nausea or signs of dizziness. For a noise sensitive dog, maybe he is finally happy?

    ..POGO....PIXEL.....PíNUT....PEPSI

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Posts
    9,193
    Thanks
    373
    Thanked 188 Times in 165 Posts

    Default

    Well that sux! Hoping his hearing returns!. I'm so sorry.
    Hoomom who was blessed with Jack. RIP Sweet Cynda 6/3/10, loving Lexie 9/13/13 and Jack, 3/22/16.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    14,751
    Thanks
    533
    Thanked 847 Times in 518 Posts

    Default

    Good grief! 85 is a big number, though. Hoping he's better soon.
    Her Royal Highness, the Duchess of Wagoner 1993-2012.
    Happiness is a warm puppy ~ Charles M. Schultz
    Named Savannah Jane ~ Rae Wagoner

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Antigonish, NS
    Posts
    16,343
    Thanks
    727
    Thanked 928 Times in 560 Posts

    Default

    That just plain sucks. Sending a ton of 85% and . Mind you he may be happier, as you say
    Paula, & Heidi, Ferkel & Buster
    & my s Maxe, Alex, Wendal, Jules & James, & Patti

    "The greatest of all mistakes is to do nothing because you can only do a little. Do what you can."

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Sarasota, FL
    Posts
    2,675
    Thanks
    28
    Thanked 103 Times in 56 Posts

    Default

    his hearing returns. Man, this sucks.
    Olga
    Sharing home with Sebastian and Sofie.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    30,876
    Thanks
    664
    Thanked 924 Times in 629 Posts

    Default

    Oh, no! Sending lots of and that Pixel's hearing comes back.

    If it doesn't, the upside is that he may be less reactive and calmer. When Miller went deaf, I realized how much of his reactiveness was to sound. I had him downstairs with me during trick or treat which used to totally freak him out. He just stood in the hall and looked at all the kids. He wasn't upset or freaking out or anything. He was, in general, a much calmer dog after he lost his hearing.

    I've realized how deaf Cash is. I left him asleep upstairs last weekend when I went to the store. I just closed the gate so he couldn't try to get downstairs and fall. When I came home Darby and Scooter were barking and howling and Cash didn't even wake up. Just slept right thru.
    Patrice and the Houston Crew (aka The Three Musketeers)

    DREAM Dachshund Rescue

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Tampa Bay area, FL
    Posts
    17,677
    Thanks
    403
    Thanked 708 Times in 420 Posts

    Default

    well, dang it. Rayz!!!

    Cassie has lost of lot of her hearing too, but it was gradual. She doesn't care. She's always been selectively deaf, and now she has an excuse to ignore us.
    Kim & the Girls

    Cassie (still bringing mischief and joy to me daily in my heart) and Angel

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to oceangirls For This Useful Post:


  9. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    16,126
    Thanks
    81
    Thanked 76 Times in 55 Posts

    Default

    Funny how differently they react - Jadaa was a freak when she lost her sight and hearing. Oscar just wanders around like the sweet old man he is. Deaf? Yeah, what about it?!
    Sandi aka Mama S aka keeper of da herd and da Popsicle flavor list AND Nana to Sean, Mykaylyn, Emma, Baylee, Eli, and Bryce and Mama to da brat, da boy and Brooke!

  10. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,206
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 53 Times in 37 Posts

    Default

    How is Pixel now? Any improvement? Here's for your furbaby.

  11. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Posts
    9,193
    Thanks
    373
    Thanked 188 Times in 165 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SaxLady View Post
    How is Pixel now? Any improvement? Here's for your furbaby.
    Ditto!
    Hoomom who was blessed with Jack. RIP Sweet Cynda 6/3/10, loving Lexie 9/13/13 and Jack, 3/22/16.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •