Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 700 Posts

Default Scooter Isn't Feeling Well

I'm not sure what is going, but Scoots could use some rays. He seemed fine this morning, then when I came home for lunch about 1:30, he wouldn't come out of his crate. Of course, I immediately thought of his back. I was trying not to get panicky and went to the kitchen to fix something to eat. I thought I'd sit in the bedroom and watch him for a bit. While I was fixing a salad, he came out and went and laid on the floor. Walking slowly but not hunched. He got up and moved once to another spot and then another. Kind of like he could get comfortable. He laid there while I ate and then came in the bedroom with me and got a drink of water. I did the toe test on him and he turned both feet right back over. I felt his tummy and he moved away a bit like it was tender. I gave him rescue remedy and a bit of okra pepsin in water and just watched him. I texted Dr C and when she called me, she said she couldn't get over today so we decided to just watch him and continue the rescue remedy and okra pepsin. He settled for a bit and laid down. Then he got up again and went into the bathroom and got a drink. It was kind of like halfway thru drinking he got weak and had to lay down for a bit. Then got up and finished drinking. His butt was a bit weavy when he walked but it was almost more like weakness than back problems but I don't know.

I'm so worried about my boy. Worried to where, I looked up the emergency vet in the area (the one I used for Bogart has closed down) and printed the info out. Please send my Scooter some special DLC rays. He's looking pretty pitiful now and I have no idea what's wrong.
    Patrice and the Houston Duo

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

Thanks

Oh crap..
    Hoomom who was blessed with Jack. RIP Sweet Cynda 6/3/10, loving Lexie 9/13/13 and Jack, 3/22/16.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to LexieLuvr For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 658 Posts

Oh jeez, Patrice. Not good. and coming your way. I have to say this sounds a lot like Heidi when she had her pancreatis attack. I might be tempted to take him to emerg. Keep us posted, ok? I also wonder if he's dehydrated...it can look like this too.
    Paula & Buster
    & my s Maxe, Alex, Wendal, Jules & James, Patti, Ferkel and Heidi,

"The greatest of all mistakes is to do nothing because you can only do a little. Do what you can."

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alex's Mom For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Alex's Mom View Post
    Oh jeez, Patrice. Not good. and coming your way. I have to say this sounds a lot like Heidi when she had her pancreatis attack. I might be tempted to take him to emerg. Keep us posted, ok? I also wonder if he's dehydrated...it can look like this too.
    He's probably not dehydrated. He has been drinking water. Just not eating. I've used a lot of Rescue Remedy and got some okra pepsin and water down him. He seemed a bit better. He wagged his tail at me when I came home. Just laying on the floor next to the bed now.

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

Thanks

how is he doing this morning, Patrice? he could still be dehydrated...esp if it pancreas or liver or kidney, they need a lot more fluid than they can take in by mouth to flush the organ out. Sending a ton more and . Will be anxious to hear what Dr. C. has to say.
    Paula & Buster

"The greatest of all mistakes is to do nothing because you can only do a little. Do what you can."

Thanks

Hey Paula! He was up at about midnight to drink water and potty, then moved to another spot to sleep. Up at 5:30 again for the same. He's laying on a blanket at the end of the bed now and hasn't gotten up yet. He wagged his tail at me this morning and took a bit of PB. I"m still not sure what is going on with him, whether or not its his back. He doesn't want to move much but he does that with both. I'm going to talk to Dr C in a little while to see what she says and have her come out and see him. Poor guy is still pretty pitiful.

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

Thanks

Paula & Buster

Thanks

Dr C was here. His back seems fine. She gave him an adjustment and she didn't show any sensitivity at all. Since he's improved considerably, we're going to see how he does for now. Because of the feeling of his belly, she suspects there might be some liver or spleen issues going on. He is on supplements for his liver. If he's okay all weekend, I'm going to check back with her Monday and we'll make a decision then about bloodwork.

Now I'm off to take a nap. Sleep last night wasn't either sound or long.

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

Thanks

Glad it's not his back. that he continues to improve.
    Paula & Buster

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alex's Mom For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Sending oodles of Scootie Patootie rayz for your big boy. I hope he feels better soon. Please keep us posted!!

..POGO....PIXEL.....P’NUT....PEPSI

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Lisa For This Useful Post: