Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks

Default Not a good update - Sofie could use some rays - update #5, 13, 18, 23, 25, 28

So, Sofie is at the vet getting IV fluids. Today is her birthday

A month ago she had her annual and her BUN (kidney function) was elevated but creatinine (another kidney lab) was normal. We were going to make sure she hydrates and recheck in 3 months. 2 weeks ago they decided to chow down on some organic fertilizer. Both have had some diarrhea and vomiting afterwards. I have been feeding chicken and rice. Sebastian had his first formed poop yesterday. Sofie stopped eating yesterday. She wouldn't even take a piece of chicken. Today she has fever, her BUN and creatinine elevated (83 and 2.2), she has pancreatitis. We will recheck her kidney function tomorrow after 24 hours of fluids.

First of all, I feel incredible guilt. I can't help but think my arrogance about gardening and how attracted they'd be to the organic fertilizer contributed to her condition. I got so excited about our new house and having a yard. Finally S&S had a fenced space for themselves. The vet is not sure what caused her condition. But I am sure it didn't help.

I would appreciate if you send the old gal Sofie some rays.

Also, those of you who had gone through kidney failure with your dogs, what was the BUN and creatinine your dogs had? Any advise on diet, supplements, giving fluids, etc. would be appreciated.
    Last edited by alfina; 03-27-2018 at 03:08 PM.
    Olga
    Remembering my angels Sebastian and Sofie.

Thanks

Oh no!! I am sending so many rayz. I logged on because I was going to ask for rayz for Pixel, he lost 16 teeth today :( Sofie sounds like she needs all the rayz!! I know Peaches had Pancreatitis. I think it was a one time thing. Doxies not eating are always huge triggers something is seriously wrong. Please, please keep us posted.

Hugs.
    p.s. You have nothing to feel guilty about. I know that won't help with your guilt, but you really don't. In 11 years you have totally revolutionized your life, and a new home with a yard is such a huge accomplishment. I know it seems weird to say you are proud of another adult, but you are an inspiration to women that you can truly achieve whatever you set your mind to.

..POGO....PIXEL.....P’NUT....PEPSI

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Lisa For This Useful Post:

Rae

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 658 Posts

Oh, Olga!!! Sending all the and there are!! (Except for all the ones I'm sending to Lisa for her old man...).

Heidi had a bad bad bout of pancreatitis a couple of years ago. It came out of nowhere and there doesn't seem to have been a particular trigger that I could identify. She was crazy restless all night so I took her in to Dr. Barry the next morning. Her levels were through the roof (I'm sorry, I can't remember the numbers). They kept her in for 3 days on IV fluids and she was fine after that. Her liver levels were raised after that, but she's been just fine. I keep an eagle eye on what she eats. NO fat so she's on a vet med diet (Royal Canin Low Fat kibble) and the only treats she gets are low fat ones I found called Croxz (they love them) or else bits of her kibble. That's it. this is one time that you really do have to go with a vet diet because it's just too difficult to regulate the fat content of home made or raw food. She's been fine with that. She also gets a couple of Laura's herbal supplements for the endocrine system (I have no idea if they work or not ) and urso and AVenti Liver C daily. The oher thing is to keep her well hydrated. She gets a full cup of water in her kibble at each meal (she eats twice a day). We keep an eye on her liver readings (which are more or less the same as the rest of the endocrine system) and they've come down into normal or very low high range. She's fine. I suspect she may be borderline cushinoid, but tomorrow's her 15th birthday so I may or may not get her tested depending on what else she has going on. Jules was a kidney dog...same regimen except that I fed her k/d kibble instead of the low fat. Her kidneys failed in the end, but again, she got a good two years after the initial diagnosis. And was 14 when she crossed. Sounds like you caught it in good time, and she's where she needs to be. Hard, I know all too well, not to blame ourselves, but honestly, how would you know?

And for the record, ITA with Lisa...we are ALL proud of what you've done with your life. You've come a long way, baby . And are an example to all of us. Please keep us posted, ok?

Oh yeah, I just thought of something else...there is some evidence in the literature that for liver dogs, low fat may not be the best, but honestly, I've seen it working, so as far as I'm concerned, I'm not taking any chances until presented with overwhelming evidence to the contrary.
    Paula & Buster
    & my s Maxe, Alex, Wendal, Jules & James, Patti, Ferkel and Heidi,

"The greatest of all mistakes is to do nothing because you can only do a little. Do what you can."

Thanks

And Lisa, remember that half my oldsters went to the bridge virtually toofieless...16 is a lot to lose at once, but he'll feel a lot better for it once he heals. and tons and tons of
    Paula & Buster

"The greatest of all mistakes is to do nothing because you can only do a little. Do what you can."

Thanks

Default Update

Just dropped her off. Since she had a fever (103.3), we are testing her for lepto. She was a little doped up on pain meds. Temp is normal now. Seems that now she has grade 3 heart murmur that I was not aware of before.
    Olga

Thanks

Aw. sweetie. Sending more and will be anxiously waiting for an update.
    Paula & Buster

Thanks

How is Sofie this morning?

..POGO....PIXEL.....P’NUT....PEPSI

Thanks

Sending rayz . You have a lot of things going on with her, so I hesitate to make any diet recommendations, because they may go against each other. With kidney disease, it's really hard to get them to eat and you may have to rotate things you offer, since they may like something one day and have nothing to do with it the next. But with pancreatitis, you'll have to go with a very specific diet, either prescription like low-fat ID or something homemade with all the same specifications.

I'd go with whatever the vet recommends for now. Both kidney failure and pancreatitis are different as acute vs. chronic (I know you know this since you work in medicine, anyway), but it's quite possible neither will be long term problems for her.

Cassie had pancreatitis on a few occasions, but I am pretty sure hers was a sensitivity to meds. We left her on ID, but I transitioned her off low fat to regular, and got even more liberal in her later years with treats and canned Wellness. She did fine. Her enzymes were typically not elevated.

Along the lines of dogs who do not want to eat... I don't know if this will be helpful to you but Angel is currently dealing with febrile neutropenia which caused infection/irritation/bleeding of her GI tract from her current lymphoma chemo (she's been getting lomustine since 1/30). She first hesitated on a meal 3/06 and unfortunately got another dose that day. We were out of town and in-laws gave it as directed - it's delayed, so it was happening even before that dose. She is - occasionally - interested in food but if she takes it in her mouth, she doesn't want to swallow it and lets it fall back out. K has been feeding her by making a gruel with her food and chicken broth and giving it by oral syringe. Luckily if we get it in there, she will swallow. The only thing she will take on her own is pieces of her biscuits, and not all the time. So I feel your pain! She's doing better overall, though. But MAN when a dachshund decides it doesn't want to do something, it is very hard to get it to change its mind!!!

edit: the oral syringe method works really well for her. You do have to pause to allow time to swallow and breathe.
    Kim & the Girls

With me always, Cassie & Angel

Thanks

I am waiting for a vet to call me with her labs. So far I was only able to speak with a tech. She is drinking water but refusing to eat. Lepto test was negative. I am trying to be patient, but I had to call myself already twice to even to get to find this much out. I am fighting the urge to just go there if I don't hear from a vet, who was supposed to call me this morning.
    Olga

Thanks

Being that it's Saturday, can't say I would blame you if it is getting close to closing and you have no answers! They may have gotten busy with emergencies, of course.

Kim & the Girls

With me always, Cassie & Angel