Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 658 Posts

How is she doing today, Olga?
    Paula & Buster
    & my s Maxe, Alex, Wendal, Jules & James, Patti, Ferkel and Heidi,

"The greatest of all mistakes is to do nothing because you can only do a little. Do what you can."

Thanks

Goodness! Just getting here and catching up. You cannot blame yourself, Olga. You are one hella dog mom!

Hope she's right as rain and demanding breakfast with doxie-tude in the morning, but still hoping for a good update tonight. Hugs.
    Her Royal Highness, the Duchess of Wagoner 1993-2012.
    Happiness is a warm puppy ~ Charles M. Schultz
    Named Savannah Jane ~ Rae Wagoner

Thanks

Unfortunately she was not demanding her breakfast this morning. In fact, she looked pretty down. I took her back to my vet for the day. Her sugar was low (44), and they gave her some glucose and put her on IV fluids again. Her kidney numbers are ok at this point. Actually her BUN improved from Saturday (28) but creatinine went up a bit (1.5). The girls there really tried to entice her to eat. They even went to the grocery store and bought baby food, but she turned it all down. The vet said that she would seem interested but then would bury it in her blanket. They washed the blanket for me!

They did not see any blood in her rectum that e-vet reported. She does have a murmur that is more pronounced after she was given IV fluids proving e-vet wrong that only cats do that! She got a shot of antibiotics because her white blood count went up. By the end of the day her sugar was in the 110s and she perked up. She gave me a couple of licks in the car . She drank some water on her own at home. We got some Tramadol for pain. I was given ok to give her some appetite stimulant Entyce. And she just ate a couple of bites of ID low fat canned food for me

I had a lengthy discussion with my vet about the situation and our experience with e-vet. My vet left her IV site in place. I told them that I was fully capable of doing IV fluids at home if needed. Our plan is to recheck her sugar tomorrow morning and leave her for the day at the vet. At this point, we are not sure what is going on. Her pancreatic numbers were normal at the vet, which she said doesn't really rule out a bout of pancreatitis last week. Her kidneys look decent. She should be eating but not seems to be interested.

Overall, today was a good day I think.
    Olga
    Remembering my angels Sebastian and Sofie.

Thanks

A cautiously optimistic update!! Mystery doggies will be the death of us, I swear!!! I wonder if a CT scan might be in order? Tons more and
    Paula & Buster

"The greatest of all mistakes is to do nothing because you can only do a little. Do what you can."

Thanks

She ate breakfast! Mostly picked the pieces of meat out of rice. But this is the first time in a while she actually came up to her bowl. I did hand-feed her a few more pieces of cooked hamburger meat she liked last night. We are off to the vet.
    Olga

6. The Following User Says Thank You to alfina For This Useful Post:

Rae

Thanks

This makes my heart VERY happy!!!!! Hopefully the corner is turned.
    Paula & Buster

Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 700 Posts

How the heck did I miss this??? My internet has been down intermittently so I haven't been online that much.

Sending tons of

I'm glad she's eating. I agree with whoever said not to worry that much about the heart murmur. Scooter has had one since he was young and Cash has had one for years. They are 13 and 17 1/2 respectively so it doesn't seem to have bothered them too much.

I was told Darby had a bout of pancreatitis but I haven't have any problems with him in the 3 years I've had him so I'm no help there at all. I'll just send lots of good thoughts for you all. (And Lisa is right. Do NOT feel guilty. Stuff happens and we can't control everything. Good for you for getting a house with a yard!)
    Patrice and the Houston Duo

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

Thanks

Default Picked her up from my vet

She is more like her usual self. Not 100% but pretty close. They didn't recheck her blood labs today, just a sugar test. It was on the low normal level. So she got a little bit more dextrose IV today. She ate some more ID canned food there. I am told to feed her in small portions tonight. They estimated she'd need a small can each meal to regain the weight she lost.

At this point the plan is to bring her back on Monday to recheck kidney function, if tonight goes well. Sebastian again was so happy to see her. He bounced around and zoomed a bit. It was cute to watch.

Sebastian has had chronic pancreatitis, so I am familiar with managing it. It is the kidneys that worry me so much. Her kidney numbers came down, but she wasn't eating at the time and was getting IV fluids. I hope she can maintain somewhat normal levels now that she is eating mostly protein. Kidney diet is usually low protein. I am keeping all my fingers and extremities crossed while hoping for the best.

Any of you fed G/D diet? That's what my vet recommended for her.
    Olga

Thanks

How is she tonight, Olga?

..POGO....PIXEL.....P’NUT....PEPSI

Thanks

Today is the first time I saw her wag her tail since she got sick.

Last night went well. So I left her home today and stopped by at lunch to check on them. I think they sleep while I am at work. So, I wanted to make sure they get up and drink. I am worried she would get dehydrated without IV fluids.

She has always been a picky eater. So it is no surprise that the ID stew is not that enticing tonight. But she is eating small potion meals. I have also given her lean ground beef that I rinsed out after cooking. Sebastian thought it was very unfair. So, we had to share some with him

She had first poops today since a week ago. It was formed!
    I am that the worst is over. I pray her kidneys hold up on its own.
    Olga

12. The Following User Says Thank You to alfina For This Useful Post: