Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Default Early signs? Savannah has me scared.

So something is just not right with Savannah. As you know, she is full-throttle, wide-open most of the time. Friday morning she woke me up at 4:30 wanting out of her crate, which is right by my side of the bed. I finally gave in and took her outside and she didn’t race out like a horse from the starting gate, but at 430 i wasn’t too observant.

She got in the bed with us and wouldn’t be still, and looking back i wonder if she just couldn’t get comfortable. She also shivered, which I know can mean they’re in pain.

She’s been fine since, but today when Sutton came home from work we were in the recliner and she didn’t go greet him immediately. When she finally did, she didn’t stand up on hind legs for ear scratches. He said he thought she was hunched up.

Since this is the third ‘she’s not quite right,’ I’m worried. She’s acted fine since then, and I was in the kitchen a few minutes ago and she followed me and stood up for ear scratches.

I gave her a dose of Meloxicam as a precaution, felt around on her and she didn’t seem to be tender anywhere.

Dr Brian’s for X-rays or create rest and gingers crossed? To get her still for X-rays he will have to sedate her and I’d sure like to avoid that.

Side note: took her to Brian’s Thursday afternoon for nails and anals. The vet tech did both, we never saw Brian, and Savannah DID turn around pretty darn quick when Jenna started the butt-squeezing. Wonder if she just pulled a muscle?
    Her Royal Highness, the Duchess of Wagoner 1993-2012.
    Happiness is a warm puppy ~ Charles M. Schultz
    Named Savannah Jane ~ Rae Wagoner

Thanks

Also, she’s lost some weight and is 10.5 pounds, well within healthy range so not overweight.

Thanks

If you think it is her back, x-ray is not very useful to see disks. They just mostly look at spacing between the disks to see if any look different.
    If she is acting ok now, I would wait. Does you vet offer laser treatment? Sofie acted as if in a pain about 2 years ago. She was a bit unsteady in the rear. I took her in to get laser right away, and it helped.
    Olga
    Remembering my angels Sebastian and Sofie.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to alfina For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I believe that he does, Olga. I'll call the office in the morning and check. Thanks for the tip on the X-rays. It's so great to have other doxie moms and dads to hash things over with!

Thanks

Brian says 10.5 pounds is perfect for her frame, and that’s what she weighed Thursday...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 658 Posts

Hunching can also be an indication of abdominal pain. As can restlessness. I'm thinking of Heidi's pancreatitis. I'd keep an eye on her, but maybe have a chat with Brian and see what he thinks.
    Paula & Buster
    & my s Maxe, Alex, Wendal, Jules & James, Patti, Ferkel and Heidi,

"The greatest of all mistakes is to do nothing because you can only do a little. Do what you can."

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Alex's Mom For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Totally agree with all of the above. She could have a leaking disc, and as Olga said, x-rays will not help with that. Make sure Dr. Brian knows about the meloxicam dosage in case he wants to prescribe steroids, he might want to put her on extra tummy protection.

How is she doing with the toe test? Stand her up and flip her right paw up and she should correct it right away and then do the same with the left paw. If there is any delay, it is most likely back over tummy. And you are 100% right, it could be a pulled muscle because of the butt squeezing. My best guess is that is what is going on. She turned too quick and pulled something or she is bruised butt.

Let us know what Dr. Brian says. I would do some laser therapy, and give it a few days, if there is any change in her condition totally treat it as an emergency. Why do they all do this going into holidays? Seriously, wtf is up with that?

Trying to keep her quiet. Lots of rayz for her!!

..POGO....PIXEL.....P’NUT....PEPSI

Thanks

This behavior sounds very similar to my doxie when she eats something she shouldn't and has abdominal pain. She will wake me in the night to go to the bathroom and she will shiver until everything is out. Then, like you said, acts like everything is fine. It is scary, thankfully it's only happened a couple times! I have to keep a close eye on her when she goes outside to potty but with a new baby that's not always easy!

Thanks

Thanks for the input and welcome to the DLC family! We're like most families in that we have inlaws (and outlaws!), but we are always here for one another to celebrate or give advice.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Rae For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Monday morning update- she has been acting right as rain since I posted. She may be fine, or the NSAID might be masking her pain. Or she may just be trying to worry her mommy and daddy...

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Rae For This Useful Post: