Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 700 Posts

Default Resource Guarding

Blue is a resource guarder. Heavy duty with bones. He turns from this sweet little dog into a snarling, snapping, devil dog. I've never had to deal with resource guarding to this degree before. Cash and Darby were both very mild cases. A bit of growling and looking apprehensive when you came near their bone/toy/ball, but easily overcome with a trade for a high value treat. I've been reading online and found several articles. One was by Patricia McConnell and had very clear instructions about dealing with it that I've been using. I *think* he's getting a bit better about it but I can tell already that it's going to be long road to overcoming this.

Wish me luck! And a few and probably wouldn't hurt.
    Patrice and the Houston Duo

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

Thanks

Oh wow, lots of rayz ~~~. Love Patricia. I have several of her books. I hope you find some helpful strategies.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
    Kim & the Girls

With me always, Cassie & Angel

3. The Following User Says Thank You to oceangirls For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 658 Posts

Many many MANY years ago, when Alex was just a puppy, I "babysat" a little dachsie for a friend of a friend. What was supposed to be 2 weeks turned into 9 months (long story...). Little Chelsey was pure evil about resource guarding. (I think it may be why Alex becamse so dog aggressive ). I was young and stupid and had no idea how to deal with it. I've been lucky...James and Patti both had some issues, but not to that extent. we eventually came to an understading but I can't say it was through any training of mine (I suck so bad as a trainer!!). Tons of and for both of you! Keep us posted, ok? (This site is for trainers, but I've found a ton of good stuff on it in their resource section and blog...might be worth a look. https://canineprinciples.com/ )
    Paula & Buster
    & my s Maxe, Alex, Wendal, Jules & James, Patti, Ferkel and Heidi,

"The greatest of all mistakes is to do nothing because you can only do a little. Do what you can."

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Alex's Mom For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 700 Posts

Thanks for the website, Paula. I'll check it out. I could use all the help I can get on this because this is new territory for me.

I was the same as you. I'd had some minor problems that were easily solved. Nothing like this. But I've noticed that he's less reactive already when I come in the room and he has a bone. I've even been able to come with 3 or 4 feet of him with his bone and he didn't react so I consider that we're making progress and it will just take time.
    Patrice and the Houston Duo

DREAM Dachshund Rescue