Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rayz for Heidi

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 658 Posts

Default Rayz for Heidi

Heidi has been a bit touchy around her neck for the last couple of weeks but nothing obvious. Yesterday morning she started to eat her breakfast then stopped. I picked her up and found that there was a big lump which seemed quite sore on the right side of her jaw. She ate her b'fast but it took her a while...she didn't want to open her mouth very wide. Then last night she wanted nothing to do with her supper and was bery bery sad. Now there are no vets anywhere near whom I would trust my dogs with, and my vet is in the city, a 2 hour drive away. This has been my biggest fear...an emergency that I needed to deal with stat. I called Janey, told her what was going on and she felt that she did need seeing. She suggested a vet in Truro which is an hour away. So I called, and the lovely vet there said to bring her in. Let's just say I'm glad there were no cops around ...was there in 45 minutes. Long story short, she has an infected saliva gland, so is now on antibiotics and tramadol. Also an ear infection started, so Surolan for the next couple of weeks. It was 1030 by the time I got home, and we actually slept in this morning, which never,ever happens!! (well, only til 5:30, but still! I never did get supper last night so b'fast was very welcome all round ) . She also is on canned food for the next few days which she is a big fan of, although Buster is jealous! I may also have found a new, closer vet, because Dr. Snyder was super. Any rayz gratefully accepted!
    Paula & Buster
    & my s Maxe, Alex, Wendal, Jules & James, Patti, Ferkel and Heidi,

"The greatest of all mistakes is to do nothing because you can only do a little. Do what you can."

Thanks

Not happy Heidi is not feeling awesome, but glad that you found a wonderful vet and that Heidi was seen so quickly. Everything sounds treatable which is always good news. Lots of rayz for her.

..POGO....PIXEL.....P’NUT....PEPSI

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lisa For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 700 Posts

I agree with Lisa. Poor Heidi. I"m glad that it's something treatable and I'm glad you found a good vet close (or at least closer) to you.
    Patrice and the Houston Duo

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

Thanks

thanks, guys. She's already feeling better. Of course, this could be because in my sleep deprived state I gave her her first antibiotic pill, then the next 12 hours later. Ooops...they're supposed to be every 24 hours However, no harm done, and she was some perky this morning, let me tell you!!! The lump has already gone way down too. I gave her a tramadol with her supper yesterday and she was totally stoned. I'm surprised she wasn't demanding Cheetos LOL. Bussy also decided to "help" her eat her supper last night . He's really jonesing for that meat! Too bad so sad. Portly old man that he is, SO not on the cards (esp not at $4.65/can! ). So looks like this little crisis sorted !
    Paula & Buster

"The greatest of all mistakes is to do nothing because you can only do a little. Do what you can."

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alex's Mom For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Once she is feeling better, can you cook for them again? $4+ a can is a LOT of money. Not sure how many she eats in a day, but there is no way I am spending $8 a day on food for the 2 dogs. And I know exactly what is in it.

..POGO....PIXEL.....P’NUT....PEPSI

Thanks

Between her pancreatitis, liver and kidneys, her diet is too complex to cook for. she'll go back on her low fat kibble in a couple of days. She's already a lot happier eating. You know I don't mind cooking for them if needed, but Bussy's on a really terrific food (Rayne...whole foods, no additives...made in Canada), and Heidi doesn't have many options. I used to feed Alex the canned food before I started cooking for her...it's gone up like 400% over the years. But once in a while in an emergency, it's ok.
    Paula & Buster

Thanks

Wow! $4.65 a can?? That's a lot. Like you said, okay for an emergency but a lot for daily consumption.

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

Thanks

She does get 4 meals out of a can, mind you. She only weighs 9 lbs. But even so, pricey! Plus she's a bit constipated (probably the antibiotics). They both get pumpkin in the meals so it'll sort itself out, I have no doubt!
    Paula & Buster

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Alex's Mom For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Just a little update...Heidi must have been brewing this infection for a while. Since she's been on the antibiotics she's a whole new dog!! Active, and playful and more like her old self before Ferk passed. I'm liking this!!! but I feel like a terrible mom to not have noticed a physical reason for her decline. I just put it down to grieving and her age. Just goes to show!!!!!
    Paula & Buster

Thanks

I'm so glad Heidi is feeling better! Don't beat yourself up about it. These little guys can be very hard to read sometimes. Hard to know what's going on and why. I'm just glad you found out what's up with her.

DREAM Dachshund Rescue