Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Default Sofie. Update post #10

Over the last 7 days, Sofie's appetite declined and I noticed her shaking. She would smell the food and shake. And then she would refuse to eat. She got a shot of antibiotic because I thought her bad teeth may be bothering her. I turned her meals into sample platter with a little bit of everything to entice her. She stopped eating completely on Thursday night. She was still alert and greeted me happily after work with a tail wag and bounce. I took her in. Dr. Lantry and I had the talk about our goals. We decided to start with x-ray because her abdomen seemed tender. There were no obvious tumors found there. Her intestines did look a little thicker than normal. Next, we decided to run lab work on Istat to see results right away. Surprisingly the results were not that bad. Dr. Lantry even said "on paper she is not dying. If I didn't know her history, I would say we should treat it". Sofie was dehydrated and yes, her kidney function declined a little more. But it was not terminal stage level.

My main concern was to not have her suffer and not to prolong inevitable for my own sake. We decided to try Iv fluids and start her on Carafate and anti-nausea medications. Carafate coats stomach and intestines to promote healing. Dr. Lantry was concerned about Sofie possibly having an ulcer. The challenge is that it has to be given on an empty stomach and then have to wait 2 hours to give any other medications. I was also given an appetite stimulant to try if she still refuses to eat. I had to use it back in March when she was not eating. I was more hesitant to use it this time around. I did not want her to be uncomfortable and in pain. We discussed it and Dr. Lantry felt that with Carafate and anti-nausea it should be ok. She felt that by Monday or Tuesday we would know more definitely which way this would turn.

I picked her up on Friday evening and she was perkier. However, she still refused to eat that night. This morning, she seemed weaker (she hasn't eaten since Thursday morning by that point). I chatted with my friend who was ex-vet tech and decided to give the appetite stimulant. Sofie ate 3 small meals since then and it definitely perked her up.

She has lost 1/2 lb since last month. She may need to have daily subcutaneous fluids at this point. I am acutely aware of her steady decline since September. I have hardly slept in the last 3 days and I have cried on and off. She is such a sweet little nugget. But I know that when the day comes, I will have to do what is best for her. You all are giving me the courage to do it. I am so happy to have found DLC because it has made me a much better mom for Sofie and Sebastian. I learned so much here. Sebastian had such a good outcome after his IVDD incident because you educated me and I was prepared to deal with it. Thank you!
    Last edited by alfina; 02-09-2019 at 09:35 AM.
    Olga
    Remembering my angels Sebastian and Sofie.

Thanks

I am glad you were able to post!! I am still not sure what was going on last night with your IP.

If she is looking good on paper, hopefully this is just a little blip that she can overcome. Everything is crossed that she will start eating and get her appetite back. It is good she is still greeting you with love and a tail wag.

You are such great dog mom, Olga. With all that you have learned in life (nursing) these past 11 years, you are someone I would turn to for advise. So we have just completed the circle.

..POGO....PIXEL.....P’NUT....PEPSI

Thanks

Default Sofie

Well said, Olga. I have also learned so much from DLC.
    Hoping the very best for sweet Sofie. You are such a wonderful mommy to her and Seb. They are blessed to have you.
    Last edited by Rae; 11-27-2018 at 08:55 PM.
    Her Royal Highness, the Duchess of Wagoner 1993-2012.
    Happiness is a warm puppy ~ Charles M. Schultz
    Named Savannah Jane ~ Rae Wagoner

Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 700 Posts

They are totally blessed to have you. You've done such a good job with them and, as Lisa said, maybe it's just a little bump in the road.

Have you tried feeding her something different? I know some of mine don't eat well towards the end (Cash being the exception ) but they would eat boiled chicken or even baby food. I bought the meat baby foods and kept Miller going for quite a while on that. I cooked the raw food (I know. It was weird but it was what I had to work with) when she wouldn't eat the raw food anymore. It seems like a lot of them don't eat well when they are older.
    Patrice and the Houston Duo

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 658 Posts

What Lisa said, Olga. You are the best mom ever, and your nursing background will stand you in such good stead! Where there's life there's hope. ITA with Patrice...trying changing her food up a bit. With various of my old sickies, I cooked chicken and rice then put it through the food processor, or else scrambled an egg (a big hit!). At this point, not so worried about a balanced meal as about getting calories in them. Once she starts eating again, you can worry about nutrition. I've found that just like older people, older pups tend to lose some or all of their sense of smell, and then of course, nothing is tempting. The stronger the smell of what you're feeding the better...even to get them drinking I'll use pure chicken stock (not broth) in the water because they can smell it. I'm glad she's eating...I think that sometimes eating is painful - either mouth or innards - so it becomes a bit of aversion therapy. they want to eat but are almost afraid to. I've been through that with Jules, and Patti. And especially Maxe. Sadly, it does usually mean you're close to the end, but not necessarily! Hopefully it's just a bit of an old dog hitch...you know I'm a big believer in no dog before its time, but when the time arrives, you'll know. You've got good instincts, and miss Sophie is giving you directions. Sending huge huge I know how hard this part of the journey is, and hope you know we're here for you every step of the way. Please keep us posted, ok?
    Paula & Buster
    & my s Maxe, Alex, Wendal, Jules & James, Patti, Ferkel and Heidi,

"The greatest of all mistakes is to do nothing because you can only do a little. Do what you can."

Thanks

I know when our Amber (cocker spaniel) had kidney issues, she'd like something one day and refuse it the next, so Mom would keep a variety of options around and try small amounts.

Is she on Entyce? I have an unopened bottle that expires end of this month (I'm sure it's fine for a bit longer); happy to mail it to you if you'd like.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
    Kim & the Girls

With me always, Cassie & Angel

Thanks

Such a great moxie mom. Hope Sofie is feeling better. Lots of healing rays for her.

Thanks

Kim,
    you are so right about liking something one day and refusing it another. That's exactly what is happening. She liked the scrambled egg one day, but wouldn't eat it the next. I feel like I am serving buffet every meal. Sebastian would have turned it into "all you can eat" buffet.

She is on Entyce. She doesn't like it. Were you giving it daily? She did ok without it for a couple of days. I only gave it once at the beginning. And I had to give it last night after she refused a pill pocket with her med.
    Olga

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by alfina View Post

She is on Entyce. She doesn't like it. Were you giving it daily? She did ok without it for a couple of days. I only gave it once at the beginning. And I had to give it last night after she refused a pill pocket with her med.
    Olga, we never tried it. My husband fed her by oral syringe by 3 weeks because we thought it was a chemo adverse effect. Our vet gave us some to try, but we figured out a few days later that it was time for her to go.
    Kim & the Girls

With me always, Cassie & Angel

Thanks

Default Update

I have not posted an update in a while because I wasn't sure what to post. It was changing day-to-day and week-to-week.

December was bad. And the weekend before Christmas was horrendous. She was fine and eating days before and then became quickly dehydrated and listless in 1 day. My daughter was visiting for Christmas and we both thought it was the end. I actually even made an appointment to put her to sleep on Christmas Eve at my vet. But our bulldog Rumble died at the ER vet on Christmas Eve 13 year before and it was a terrible Christmas for us. He died alone in their crate. He had a heart attack, I believe. So, I decided to not to take her to ER vet and have her all scared. She is always so scared at the vet office. I gave her subq fluids twice a day to try to rehydrate her and we just spent time with her. And 2 hours before her appointment she perked up and took a few bites of food. I cancelled the appointment.

Since then she has been pretty good. She actually eats Seb's kibble (full serving). She is on 2.5 mg Prednisone still because every time I try to wean her, she starts shaking and stops eating. And I am doing subq fluids every other day.

She had her annual exam. I got her new tag to keep her legal. Dr Lantry and I decided to not do any vaccines or lab work at this point. Her rabies is good for another year. Sofie lost 4 oz since November. She had terrible December, so I am not surprised. Her heart murmur is worse. She still bounces around and even barks at me to hurry up with dinner when I get home. I think she will let me know when she is ready to join Rumble.
    Olga

11. The Following User Says Thank You to alfina For This Useful Post: