Threaded View

Thanks

Default Sofie. Update post #10

Over the last 7 days, Sofie's appetite declined and I noticed her shaking. She would smell the food and shake. And then she would refuse to eat. She got a shot of antibiotic because I thought her bad teeth may be bothering her. I turned her meals into sample platter with a little bit of everything to entice her. She stopped eating completely on Thursday night. She was still alert and greeted me happily after work with a tail wag and bounce. I took her in. Dr. Lantry and I had the talk about our goals. We decided to start with x-ray because her abdomen seemed tender. There were no obvious tumors found there. Her intestines did look a little thicker than normal. Next, we decided to run lab work on Istat to see results right away. Surprisingly the results were not that bad. Dr. Lantry even said "on paper she is not dying. If I didn't know her history, I would say we should treat it". Sofie was dehydrated and yes, her kidney function declined a little more. But it was not terminal stage level.

My main concern was to not have her suffer and not to prolong inevitable for my own sake. We decided to try Iv fluids and start her on Carafate and anti-nausea medications. Carafate coats stomach and intestines to promote healing. Dr. Lantry was concerned about Sofie possibly having an ulcer. The challenge is that it has to be given on an empty stomach and then have to wait 2 hours to give any other medications. I was also given an appetite stimulant to try if she still refuses to eat. I had to use it back in March when she was not eating. I was more hesitant to use it this time around. I did not want her to be uncomfortable and in pain. We discussed it and Dr. Lantry felt that with Carafate and anti-nausea it should be ok. She felt that by Monday or Tuesday we would know more definitely which way this would turn.

I picked her up on Friday evening and she was perkier. However, she still refused to eat that night. This morning, she seemed weaker (she hasn't eaten since Thursday morning by that point). I chatted with my friend who was ex-vet tech and decided to give the appetite stimulant. Sofie ate 3 small meals since then and it definitely perked her up.

She has lost 1/2 lb since last month. She may need to have daily subcutaneous fluids at this point. I am acutely aware of her steady decline since September. I have hardly slept in the last 3 days and I have cried on and off. She is such a sweet little nugget. But I know that when the day comes, I will have to do what is best for her. You all are giving me the courage to do it. I am so happy to have found DLC because it has made me a much better mom for Sofie and Sebastian. I learned so much here. Sebastian had such a good outcome after his IVDD incident because you educated me and I was prepared to deal with it. Thank you!
    Last edited by alfina; 02-09-2019 at 09:35 AM.
    Olga
    Remembering my angels Sebastian and Sofie.