Thanks

Default Can You Teach An Old Dog New Tricks?

We're in the process of buying a home out of state ...we're in love with the school district and house itself (it's back "home" for me) BUT this house has no back door (2 doors out of the garage one to the back 1 to the side). Clay is 16 will probably hate the snow and cold (she's 16 now and has been in Texas all of her life). I'm thinking of trying to get her to use potty pads (last time she was a pup and chewed them up and they were all over the house even in the "tray"). Anyone try to retrain a dog at an old age?

We're to close on the house the end of January (but not sure if moving summer of 2019 or summer of 2020).

"It doesn't matter where you go in life, it's the doxies you have beside you!"
    Nicole, Mom of the Doxie Duo

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 658 Posts

Maybe like it's sort of reverse potty training? Is there a mat or a bit of rug she pees on occasionally? If there is, then maybe put the pee pad down there and see if she'll use it? Or bring a bit of grass or dirt right after she's peed on it and put it on the pee pad to encourage her to go where she can smell the scent? These are all questions cuz I really don't know LOL...But I must say that in the house I built we had to go through the garage to get to the door to the dog run and they did it with no problem. you could also put up a pup port like Rafi and Lisa do...it's a brilliant idea in this rotten climate!
    Paula & Buster
    & my s Maxe, Alex, Wendal, Jules & James, Patti, Ferkel and Heidi,

"The greatest of all mistakes is to do nothing because you can only do a little. Do what you can."

Thanks

I think if there is a routine, they will adjust. I do love the pup port, but it is a big investment and you will already have a lot going on with the move. Congrats on the move!!

..POGO....PIXEL.....P’NUT....PEPSI

Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 700 Posts

Congrats on the new house! I agree with Paula. I'm in the process of re-potty training Blue now. He got right away how to go out the doggie door to the garage and then out. He just hasn't gotten the potty outside ONLY part of this. Good luck!
    Patrice and the Houston Duo

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

Thanks

Thank you all...we shall see.

It's been a while since I've seen the pup port (I'm trying to think of the roof so it does not get to snow heavy...but Joe is not handy at all either LOL). We'll be in the snow belt of NE Ohio (about 3-4 hours from Lisa and Rafi if I recall).

"It doesn't matter where you go in life, it's the doxies you have beside you!"
    Nicole, Mom of the Doxie Duo