Heidi could use a few rayz. I had her and Bussy into Barry's for checkups yesterday, and to discuss their titre results and vaccinating at their ages. (They were both low on parvo and distemper, two diseases that do not treat seniors well at all!) Barry did a full set of bloods and a urinalysis, and well lookie here, guess who has another balancing act dog?

Her kidneys are in the early-mid stages of kidney disease. The PU/PD is definitely the result of Cushings (mild...at almost 16, no point in treating). but the really worrying thing is her chronic pancreatitis...she was crazy sore there during the physical exam, and her pancreatic readings were literally off the charts for lipase (she had been 699 in May, top of normal is 1800, and the machine stops counting at 6000 and hers were way above that. And her Amylase (the other pancreas one) is also high, although not anywhere near as bad. Yesterday was a day way out of their routine, and she was restless during the night.

Then this morning she woke me up at 3:45 barfing, although there wasn't anything much in there to barf with. She ate her b'fast happily enough (and I gave her some Serenia for the nausea, pain and vomiting), then half an hour later threw a third of it up. She's been a very quiet little doggie since then ) We're in the middle of a freezing rainstorm at the moment, and the thought of the 2 hour drive back into the city today is not a good one. So fingers crossed it settles!!!!!!

The title of this thread is because in 35 years of dachsies, 25 of which was all about old sick dogs, I have yet to have one make it to 16. Within a week, but never actually to their birthday. It's a curse. Heidi's 16th birthday is March 17.