Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 658 Posts

Default The Looming 16th Birthday Curse...

Heidi could use a few rayz. I had her and Bussy into Barry's for checkups yesterday, and to discuss their titre results and vaccinating at their ages. (They were both low on parvo and distemper, two diseases that do not treat seniors well at all!) Barry did a full set of bloods and a urinalysis, and well lookie here, guess who has another balancing act dog?

Her kidneys are in the early-mid stages of kidney disease. The PU/PD is definitely the result of Cushings (mild...at almost 16, no point in treating). but the really worrying thing is her chronic pancreatitis...she was crazy sore there during the physical exam, and her pancreatic readings were literally off the charts for lipase (she had been 699 in May, top of normal is 1800, and the machine stops counting at 6000 and hers were way above that. And her Amylase (the other pancreas one) is also high, although not anywhere near as bad. Yesterday was a day way out of their routine, and she was restless during the night.

Then this morning she woke me up at 3:45 barfing, although there wasn't anything much in there to barf with. She ate her b'fast happily enough (and I gave her some Serenia for the nausea, pain and vomiting), then half an hour later threw a third of it up. She's been a very quiet little doggie since then ) We're in the middle of a freezing rainstorm at the moment, and the thought of the 2 hour drive back into the city today is not a good one. So fingers crossed it settles!!!!!!

The title of this thread is because in 35 years of dachsies, 25 of which was all about old sick dogs, I have yet to have one make it to 16. Within a week, but never actually to their birthday. It's a curse. Heidi's 16th birthday is March 17.
    Paula & Buster
    & my s Maxe, Alex, Wendal, Jules & James, Patti, Ferkel and Heidi,

"The greatest of all mistakes is to do nothing because you can only do a little. Do what you can."

Thanks

Fingers crossed she is the exception to the rule. Pogo was 16 when he passed, and Pixel is going to be 16 in November and I am freaking out a bit too. He is fine, just I know how fast Pogo declined.

Is she diabetic with those pancreatic levels? What is the course of treatment?

Lots of Heidi rayz.

..POGO....PIXEL.....P’NUT....PEPSI

Thanks

Oddly no, although her urine is really dilute. but Barry did check. Mind you, my sister has had chronic pancreatitis for 25 years and she has never become diabetic even though her pancreas is only functioning at about 40%. Weird disease....

There's not much you can do other than a very low fat diet, and giving her lots of water. She's also on urso (which is really gallbladder but appears to help,) and Aventi Liver, which also appears to help. If it gets really bad they hospitalize and administer fluids. They used to also give antibiotics, but recent studies have shown that not to help. All you can really do is try to keep the pancreas flushed (hence the fluids) and pain meds, because it's insanely painful. And cross your fingers that it will pass. It can also be a precursor to cancer of the pancreas but he checked for that too. Poor little kid.

It's been borderline for a while, but I think yesterday threw everything out of whack...the vaccines, and being at the vets (and manhandled nicely) for urine and blood...and she didn't get as much water as she usually does in her supper. My bad, cuz they ate as we were on the road back to Antigonowhere. She's slept most of the day, and hasn't thrown up at all, which is a good thing. Supper in 90 minutes, so we'll see how she does after she eats.
    Paula & Buster

"The greatest of all mistakes is to do nothing because you can only do a little. Do what you can."

Thanks

Rayz for your girl. And if you could spare some for Pixel too, it would be appreciated. He went down today.

..POGO....PIXEL.....P’NUT....PEPSI

Thanks

Well you KNOW there is an unlimited number of rayz when needed!! Poor Pix...a bad week all round.
    Paula & Buster

Thanks

Rayz for both your sweeties ~~~~~~

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
    Kim & the Girls

With me always, Cassie & Angel

Thanks

Could you do subcutanous fluids at home to keep her flushed? I was told it is just as good as IV.

I am dealing with the same here. Both are approaching their 15th birthday. Sebastian has been dealing with chronic pancreatitis for years now. Every year his numbers go up. Thank god, he is hanging in there and no barfs. Although came home yesterday and he had a bout of explosive diarrhea while I was at work. His appetite never goes away.

Sofie is a challenge on its own. With her kidney issues, her appetite is terrible. Feeding her whatever she'd eat means her pancreatitis flares up. It is a catch 22. Luckily she has been eating Seb's kibble lately. It is trip to the water bowl and potty every 2-3 hours nightly kills me. I am so tired all the time. But she is doing so much better than she was before Christmas.
    Olga
    Remembering my angels Sebastian and Sofie.

Thanks

Oh my, Olga, been there...actually have been living there for the last 20 years or so LOL. That perennial balancing act is so hard. I lost Jules to kidney disease and the last two weeks were such a roller coaster both for her and for my emotions. But I wouldn't trade a moment of it for the joy of having them with me til they're ready to go.

I did ask about subQ fluids, but it was felt it wasn't needed at this time. She gets a cup of water with her kibble (so basically her kibble floats along the top of her bowlful of water LOL) at b'fast and supper, and that seems to be doing the trick for now. The cerenia has stopped the barfing, and is also an analgesic, and that's helping too. She's eager to eat, which is a good thing! Her tummy isn't so sore to the touch now either. So that we've nipped this attack in the bud!
    Paula & Buster