Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Almost there...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 658 Posts

Unhappy Almost there...

It's been stinking hot and humid here the last few days, and really hard on the dogs. I was in meetings all day in the next town over so didn't get home for lunch today and when I got home around 3 the kitchen was covered in vomit and diarrhea. (Sorry...) Heidi was nonresponsive at first, and I thought maybe heat stroke despite the fan in front of their spot in the kitchen, but she wasn't panting at all. I got her into tepid water to bring her body temp down and put her back in front of the fan while I called the vet. They said to bring her right in...this is my emergency vet about an hour away, not Barry who is 2 hours away. She'd perked up by the time we got there, no doubt the air conditioned car. But there was still lots going on so Jacinta did bloods and we got Barry's to send her last set to compare. Not good. Not good at all. My little girl is in kidney failure. They've got less than 20% function. They gave me some subQ fluids and sent me home with a bag of Ringers lactate to give her some every 2 to 3 days, depending on how she does. This is exactly how it went with Jules. Jacinta of course wouldn't say exactly how long, but says it's days or weeks, not months. My poor poor little old lady. Ferk is waiting for her...what a happy reunion that will be. My only small glimmer of comfort.
    Paula & Buster
    & my s Maxe, Alex, Wendal, Jules & James, Patti, Ferkel and Heidi,

"The greatest of all mistakes is to do nothing because you can only do a little. Do what you can."

Thanks

My heart hurts for you.

There is certainly no "best" way to lose a dog. My hairstylist just came home a week ago to find her little 2-year-old doxie boy had died unexpectedly in his sleep. My own sweet boy died at the vet without us in the room after a quick crisis... I was with my mom for 2 of the 3 she had to make the tough, uncertain decision for... and my two beautiful heart dog girls relaxed into peace from suffering while I held them in my arms.

I guess maybe it's best to know time is very short, and be able to say your goodbyes? All I know for sure is that it is never the wrong time to let them go when the decision is made with love. Well, I know that 99% of the time... sometimes I ask, if there weren't a hurricane coming that meant I had to make a split second decision what to do with my girl who was being evacuated from the vet hospital while on oxygen and declining despite the strongest antibiotics... could that have been different? And then a little voice in my brain says, lovingly, "shut up, mama, it was my time."

An awesome responsibility, indeed.

Again, what I am saying is... my heart hurts for you. What a wonderful reunion she and Ferk will have, though. I'd like to see that! Angi probably would have lived longer if she hadn't lost her sister, annoying as she usually found her.

Much peace and love and hugs to you and this baby girl.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
    Kim & the Girls

With me always, Cassie & Angel

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to oceangirls For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Nope. It's all loss. I've been very lucky in that all except for Ferk went as the result of a health crisis, and she was certainly past her best before date, but her spirit was so very strong. And it was in a sense still a health crisis cuz she wouldn't have managed the 6 weeks I was off with my new hip after the surgery. It's easier from a decision making point of view. I've made an appt to take her in for next Tuesday just in case, but appt's can be canceled. It may be sooner too... things usually turn out the way the Universe means them to in my experience. Damn it.....
    Paula & Buster

"The greatest of all mistakes is to do nothing because you can only do a little. Do what you can."

Thanks

my heart hurts for you to read this. Prayers for Heidi during this time. She waited for you to come home and rush her to vet, maybe her way of saying "I'm not ready yet" but time will come soon. Like Kim said, its better knowing when then it be a surprise I suppose. I fear coming home one day and one of the pups passed while no one there. I dont know why I have this fear, Ive never experience it before. Please keep us updated on her
    Angela
    Rusty, Odie & Baxter

Thanks

Olga
    Remembering my angels Sebastian and Sofie.

Thanks

Well this just sucks.

You just keep putting your heart out there, and it keeps getting stomped on... you amaze me.

Giving these sweet babies a home for however long... I admire and respect you so much for doing so, no matter the cost (financial and emotional) to yourself.
    Her Royal Highness, the Duchess of Wagoner 1993-2012.
    Happiness is a warm puppy ~ Charles M. Schultz
    Named Savannah Jane ~ Rae Wagoner

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rae For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Well, somebody's got to But I think I'm going to take a break over the winter. I need some time to recharge me and my bank account. And my heart. You don't bounce back quite as quickly at 60, I'm finding.

Heidi's hanging in there, but Bussy's start to flag a bit. One day at a time.....
    Paula & Buster

Thanks

Sending you all my love. I am getting used to the ups and downs now that I have seniors. The one thing that binds us all together is we are all amazing dog parents. And we will be her when it is time, because we know the pain and truly understand the loss.

There is nothing wrong with taking a break.

..POGO....PIXEL.....P’NUT....PEPSI

Thanks

Not to be the devil's advocate... but the last time you were going to take a break? How'd that work out for you?

Thinking of you as things ebb and flow, sweet friend.
    Her Royal Highness, the Duchess of Wagoner 1993-2012.
    Happiness is a warm puppy ~ Charles M. Schultz
    Named Savannah Jane ~ Rae Wagoner

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rae View Post
    Not to be the devil's advocate... but the last time you were going to take a break? How'd that work out for you?
    well, I think it was 3 weeks between Alex and James and Jules, not quite the 6 months I was aiming for. I did however manage 3 months between James and Patti! However, I'm going to Portugal for 2 weeks in February, and the logistics of getting them looked after have become increasingly difficult since moving to Antigonish aka too far from everywhere. So I was kinda thinking I'd take a break til I get back and see where we're at. I travel a fair bit with this job and it's a challenge with having no back up system for anything, pretty much.
    Paula & Buster

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Alex's Mom For This Useful Post:

Rae